Happy New Year: Lucky Thirteen!

Jan 1, 2013

Happy New Year! Can you believe it's 2013?

There's so much negativity associated with the number 13, but we don't want to focus on that, do we? Luckily, I got an email from Lorna's Laces yesterday, and it contained this wonderful list that I just had to share:

Interesting Things About the Number 13

Thirteen degrees is the distance the moon moves around the earth each day.

It takes 13 days for a full moon to change into a new moon, and another 13 days for it to change back again.

The last supper had a table set for 13.

Because there were 13 colonies on the first day of independence, we count 13 stripes on the American flag.

Tradition states that 13 witches are required for a coven.

Experiences has proven that 13 turns of the knot is what it takes for a noose to do its deadly deed.

A deck of cards is dressed in four suits of 13 cards each.

Bakers knead 13 biscuits to make a dozen.

13 is a prime number, a happy number, and a fibonacci number.

13 proved to be a lucky number for Wilt Chamberlain.

But despite all this positive evidence, those suffering from triskaidekaphobia are terrified of the number 13.

To those scaredy-cats, along with our members, family, and friends, Knitting Daily wishes you the best in 2013!

Cheers,

P.S. Thanks to Robert at Petrick Design—a company whose name has 13 letters—for this fun list.

Comments

Sari13 wrote
on Jan 6, 2013 6:03 PM

I am a "Lucky" Friday the 13th baby and an Aries to boot. My daughter got married on the 13th.

It has always been my favorite number along with black cats and other mystical items.

gunghowm13 wrote
on Jan 6, 2013 3:13 PM

As a "13th" baby (a Friday no less!) I'm looking forward to 2013  13 has always been good to me - so happens my first date with my now Hubby was on a Friday the 13th and we "tied the knot" on a Friday the 13th at 1300 hours!  So no triskaldekaphobia allowed here!  Here's wishing everyone a great New Year and Happy 2013!

on Jan 5, 2013 5:11 PM

About the moon: it about 29 or 30 days between consecutive full moons (or new moons, or whatever phase you want to start from and end with).  So 26 days won't get you there.

And about bakers:  Bakers rarely knead biscuits, because they cut them out AFTER the dough is kneaded.  They throw in an extra one because of old (English?) laws about how much they weigh.  A "baker's" dozen has 13 to make sure that you got enough weight of bread for your money.

J.W wrote
on Jan 5, 2013 4:23 PM

I've read that "unlucky thirteen" goes back to the mass arrests of the Knights Templar by a French King on a Friday the 13th.  Personally, I like thirteen -- I was born on a thirteen!

LyndaC wrote
on Jan 5, 2013 3:20 PM

The "thirteen" superstition predates Christianity. Some sociologists believe it's because thirteen, as a number, gets us into "unknown" territory. If you count on your fingers, you get up to ten. Add each hand as a single unit, and you have twelve. But the next number after that ... thirteen ... moves away from what we can see and physically account for.

I tend to have problems with that notion, since there are ALSO ten toes and two feet that can be counted upon, which would make 25, not 13, the beginning of "unknown" territory. What do you think?

craftcre8r wrote
on Jan 5, 2013 7:57 AM

Of course, the number 13 was first associated with bad luck because, yes, there were thirteen diners at the last supper -- and one, Judas, betrayed Jesus.  I think you know the rest.