Get Twisted With the Koolhaas Hat!

Jan 2, 2013

One of our most popular knitted hat patterns, the Koolhaas Hat by Jared Flood, is a wonderful project for many reasons.

The Koolhaas Hat by Jared Flood
It's a perfect unisex hat; really attractive on both men and women (I knit one for my brother a couple of years ago). It's a great project for practicing the twisted stitch technique. And it's a quick, addicting knit. I knit mine in about three evenings; the pattern is easily memorized after the first couple of repeats.

After knitting this hat, I really fell in love with twisted stitches. They're stitches that are simply knitted through the back loop and they travel across each other like cables do, but usually just one stitch crosses each other at a time.

Jared, who often uses architecture to inspire stitch patterns, designed this hat as a tribute to the work of architect Rem Koolhaas. His design for the Seattle Public Library is a lattice pattern of steel and glass. The Koolhaas Hat is knit with a springy yak/wool blend that emphasizes the strong geometric structure and sculptural quality of this twisted stitch pattern.

Meg Swanson wrote an article for Interweave Knits in the fall of 2010. In it she talked a little bit about the history of twisted stitches:

Twisted-Stitch Knitting

How to knit through the back loop

Both Styria (north/central Austria) and Bavaria (southern Germany) claim to be the district of origin for this beautiful knitted fabric. Beyond tracing the beginnings of the twisted-stitch knitting tradition to the eighteenth century, little detailed history is available about the technique. Motifs were passed along from knitter to knitter and tangibly preserved for future generations by means of knitted samplers.

With its traveling stitches and cables, the technique is similar to Aran knitting except that each knit stitch is worked into the back of the stitch: thus the name twisted-stitch knitting. With no "plain" stitches, the knitting itself is relatively slow, but the reward is enormous as the twists tighten and raise each stitch to enhance the detail of the resulting topography.

If you are familiar with basic cable techniques, you will have no difficulty with the right and left twists because they are actually the smallest possible cables: one stitch crossing over another. You merely have to get into the habit of working into the back of each knit stitch.

—Meg Swanson, Interweave Knits, Fall 2010

Here's Eunny Jang to show you how to work twisted stitches:

I know you'll love knitting the Koolhaas Hat as much as I did, so I encourage you to get one of our new kits today! They come with natural brown yarn, blue yarn, or ruby red yarn, delivered right to your door.

Cheers,

P.S. Have you knitted the Koolhaas Hat? What did you think of twisted knitting? Let us know in the comments!

Featured Products

Koolhaas Hat in Ruby Kit

Availability: Out Of Stock
Price: $27.00

Merchandise

Get everything you need in this Kit to knit the popular Koolhaas hat pattern in Bijou Bliss Ruby yarn.

Koolhaas Hat in Blueberry Kit

Availability: Out Of Stock
Price: $27.00

Merchandise

Get everything you need and SAVE with this Koolhaas Hat Blueberry Kit, which includes the pattern and one skein of Bijou Bliss yarn in blueberry.

Comments

on Oct 12, 2013 10:46 AM

My email address is powell7760@gmail.com. I just sent a request for a phone # to call you re my order.

Jeanette Powell

on Oct 12, 2013 10:43 AM

I need a phone # to reach you re an order I placed.

Thanks.

mrsmousefan wrote
on Jul 8, 2013 2:24 AM

HELP!!!!!       I do Not want the kit,just the pattern!!!!!!    How  do I  go about that mysterious feat?????????

AngelaE wrote
on Jan 18, 2013 8:25 AM

I've purchased this kit in blue; still waiting for it to arrive.

debbijl wrote
on Jan 5, 2013 3:51 PM

Is the pattern for sale without the whole kit? I can see myself knitting this hat & I don't want to wait!!!

on Jan 5, 2013 11:14 AM

I picked out some yarn with this project in mind as I had the original print version of the pattern. Aha! yarn bigger than what is recommended, but a 16" circumference will sit on the top of my big head like a marshmallow. Sized the needles up one increment, did a swatch, and away I went. Put in some old movies, and my fingers went to town. Almost up to the decreases and realized it was almost 2 AM! Can't wait to finish it.

Sally Bowen wrote
on Jan 5, 2013 6:15 AM

How do I purchase the pattern without the yarn?  (We have our own yarn).  sally@topsyfarms.com

415 wrote
on Jan 4, 2013 7:41 AM

I have the pattern and the wool!  Can't wait to get started! What type of cast-on is recommended for this hat?

415 wrote
on Jan 4, 2013 7:41 AM

GretH wrote
on Jan 3, 2013 11:14 AM

I knit this hat many years ago when it came out in the magazine.   I used a Cascade 220 Heather and have received many, many compliments.  Several people have asked me for the pattern.

I found the pattern a mental challenge with the twists and crosses, but that is what I look for in my knitting.

GretH wrote
on Jan 3, 2013 11:10 AM

I knit this hat several years ago when it came out in the magazine.  I used a Cascade 220 Heather and it is nice and warm.  I get compliments on it all the time and have been asked for the pattern many, many times.

It was a mental challenge to knit with all the twists and crosses, but that is what I am after in my knitting.

on Jan 3, 2013 10:52 AM

Is there a way to do this hat on circulars? I'm not one to use DPNs if I can help it. DPNs just feel so unwieldy to me. Foreign objects really. I like being to feel like I'm in control of my tools (in this case needles) when I'm working and I nearly never feel that way when I got yarn cast onto DPNs. In fact, I'm about to unravel a Fair Isle beret in progress because I don't like how my DPNs have made a mess. (Notice I'm not blaming myself here, all blame is on the needles!)

on Jan 2, 2013 1:44 PM

Hi Folks! We're checking into ordering more yarn so we can offer more kits for the Koolhaas Hat. In the meantime, here's the link for the hat pattern:

This hat works with any worsted-weight yarn (it takes about 170 yards), so for now, dig in your stash and have fun!

Kathleen

ccedwards4 wrote
on Jan 2, 2013 1:42 PM

The Koolhaas Hat pattern as shown in my purchased pattern made from 100% yak.

164 yards per 100 grams

the KIT offers 50% yak 50% wool

150 yards per 56 grams

This seems to be a sizable difference...resulting in probably SIZING differences.

Do i need to purchase TWICE the amount of yak/wool skeins?  or HALF the amount of yak/wool skeins?

The recipient has a wool allergy...i'm trying to avoid the 'itch' factor completely.

Love the design...which Bijou Basin fiber will work best?

KJohnson2 wrote
on Jan 2, 2013 12:37 PM

The pattern can be purchased and downloaded from this site.  Here is a link if you have trouble finding it:

www.interweavestore.com/.../Patterns.html

LINNYM wrote
on Jan 2, 2013 11:39 AM

Since you are sold out of every kit, I would love to have the pattern!  Is it possible to get it?

cparke wrote
on Jan 2, 2013 11:15 AM

How can this be out of stock the first day I receive the email offer?  Please just buy some more blue wool!

shordee wrote
on Jan 2, 2013 10:09 AM

Stunning pattern in just about any color I would imagine!

Ms. Eunny, I'm wondering, could you do a tutorial in continental style? Please?

.....pardon my ignorance....

on Jan 2, 2013 9:31 AM

All three kits are already sold out. Can I purchase the pattern?

JudyW wrote
on Jan 2, 2013 9:13 AM

The audio can be heard - but NO VIDEO!

Cynthia L.C wrote
on Jan 2, 2013 9:09 AM

I've knit both this hat and Jared's matching scarf.  They are both gorgeous and, it is true, stunning on both men and women.  The pattern is mesmerizing, quick to learn and extremely satisfying to watch develop.

Cynthia L.C wrote
on Jan 2, 2013 9:09 AM

Ruth Ann R. wrote
on Jan 2, 2013 8:29 AM

I have not knitted this hat, but I have used the twisted stitch and love it.  I especially like knitting the "Tree of Life" pattern in Vogue Knitting - the cables branching off in opposite directions look like fir trees.

Beebs9368 wrote
on Jan 2, 2013 7:52 AM

I've purchased the kit in blue, waiting for it to arrive.

Beebs9368 wrote
on Jan 2, 2013 7:52 AM

I've purchased the kit in blue, waiting for it to arrive.