Sock Knitting: Shadow Wrap Short-Rows

Mar 1, 2013

Deuce, by Alice Yu, from
Sockupied
Spring 2013

There seem to be an endless number of ways to knit socks, and, as Martha says, that's a good thing! We can choose our favorites and go from there. But there's always more to learn, and leave it to sock knitting expert and Soctopus Yarn company founder Alice Yu to come up with a fantastic new way to work short-rows: shadow wraps.

Her sock pattern, Duece, shown at left and available in the new issue of Sockupied, is a fabulous pattern that uses the shadow-wrap technique. Isn't that lattice stitch great? And the shadow-wrapped wedge heel looks like it would provide a really comfy fit.

Here's how to work the shadow wrap short-rows. Please note that the directions written here for shadow wraps aren't written for any specific sock or any specific stitch count; you can use whichever pattern you want to use, just follow the directions below.

SHADOW WRAPS
Alice Yu's shadow-wrap method uses the row below the needle to prepare for a gapless heel. Use it for a wedge heel or an hourglass heel.

Twin stitch (knit) (TWK):
With right needle, knit into the purl bump of stitch directly below stitch on left needle (Figs. 1, 2). Slip stitch from right needle to left needle without twisting it (Fig. 3)—2 stitches from 1 stitch. Turn work.

Twin stitch (purl) (TWP):
With yarn in from (wyf), slip 1 stitch purlwise to right needle, then insert left needle from back to front into purl bump of stitch below stitch on right needle and purl this stitch (Fig. 4 + 5)—2 stitches from 1 stitch. Slip both stitches of twin stitch from right needle to left needle without twisting. (Fig. 6). Turn work.

Narrowing Section
*Short-row 1 (RS): Knit to last stitch, TWK.
Short-row 2 (WS): Sl 1 pwise wyf, purl to last stitch, TWP.
Short-row 3: Knit to last st before twin stitch, TWK.
Short-row 4: Purl to last st before twin stitch, TWP.
Repeat Short-rows 3 and 4 until the desired number of stitches remain between stitches.

The wedge heel, worked with shadow wrapped short-rows

Widening Section, Wedge Heel Option
Round 1 (RS): Knit to end of heel, working twin stitches as 1 stitch when you come to them, work instep in pattern.
Round 2: Knit to end of round, working remaining twin stitches as 1 stitch when you come to them and working instep in pattern.
Repeat from * 1 or 2 more times to fit heel.

To learn how to work the hourglass heel with shadow wraps, get your issue of Sockupied today!

Cheers,

P.S. What's your favorite way to knit socks? Leave a comment and let us know!

Comments

delmo wrote
on Mar 13, 2013 7:06 PM

Do you sell sockupied in stores like your other magazines?

on Mar 2, 2013 5:18 PM

This is a question, not a comment.  What are the hourglass and wedge heel?  Would you explain each, please?

Sincerely,

Llamaears

Oniya wrote
on Mar 2, 2013 11:43 AM

I might be reading it wrong, but it looks like the 'Narrowing' section and the 'Widening' section are misnamed.  In the 'Narrowing' section, you are adding more stitches (making two stitches from one with the TWK and TWP technique), and in the 'Widening' section, you are taking away stitches (work twin stitches as one when you come to them).

KRC wrote
on Mar 2, 2013 10:47 AM

Isn't this essentially the same as the technique previously invented by Cat Bordhi, only presented a little differently? Hm.m.m.m.m

tammcarroll wrote
on Mar 2, 2013 7:28 AM

i wish socupied w

had an Android edition

lisalynn50 wrote
on Mar 2, 2013 7:15 AM

that sounds a lot like the 'sweet tomato heal" by kat .

STH is my favorite.. it really is a smooth heal..

isleofjava wrote
on Mar 2, 2013 7:04 AM

On an Apple product, it's easy to make your own:

Choose Print

There's a drop down button in the lower left labeled "PDF". Click on it.

Choose Save as PDF

Sometimes you can do the same in Windows. Here's a link that might help:

www.ehow.com/how_9664_save-windows-document.html

on Mar 1, 2013 11:13 PM

I've only knit a few of pair in both ways, but I prefer toe-up with Judy's Magic Cast On method and the Magic Loop technique rather than dpns.

on Mar 1, 2013 6:06 PM

Haven't got one, never knitted a pair of socks before

mericjaffe wrote
on Mar 1, 2013 4:32 PM

It would be great if you would put your Techniques into PDF form so that we would be able to print them out more easily.

Joyknits wrote
on Mar 1, 2013 3:43 PM

I love knitting socks, and make them for myself and friends and family.   I made the snowflower socks from the winter 2012 Interweave knits, and am now using double stitch short rows to shape the heels in other patterns too.   This makes a really neat heel.

Fluteplayer7 wrote
on Mar 1, 2013 3:00 PM

Hey, Kathleen.  I'm getting ready to start Deuce.  The pattern calls for two skeins of Socktopus Sokkusu for the medium sized sock.  Is that correct?  That's 866 yards of yarn!

mamagriz wrote
on Mar 1, 2013 10:40 AM

I am new to knitting socks, knitting anything really.  But I want to make them all.  I start on something and I see something else, so before I finish the first project, I start something else.  Does anyone else do that??

Jesusan wrote
on Mar 1, 2013 10:39 AM

My favorite way to knit socks is toe-up.  I like that you can try them on, and that you can make the leg portion as tall as you want within the limits of the amount of yarn you have left.  I've never tried short rows in anything before, so this technique is intriguing.