Spring is coming. Really, it is.

Mar 4, 2013

Vertex Cardigan by Carol Feller
Inlaid Lace Mitts by Rebecca Blair
I know it doesn't seem like it, but spring is on the horizon. It's March (!), and that means spring bulbs are going to start peeking out of flower beds and warm-weather knitting patterns are going to appear in stores and online. The spring Interweave Knits is here to get you excited. There are some really wonderful projects in this issue—one of my favorites is the Vertex Cardigan by Carol Feller (shown at right). It's an easy knitting pattern with some unique details that raise it above the ordinary. What a perfect extra layer to throw on over a tee shirt!

Here's Eunny to tell you more about the Spring 2013 issue of Interweave Knits!

When we are children, we live lives tied to the changing
seasons. We look longingly out of windows in heat-drowsy classrooms in late spring, chase fireflies and slap mosquitoes in balmy summer evenings, recognize the peculiarly acrid-sweet smell of newly sharpened pencils in fall's first cool breezes. Winter means itchy mittens, cheeks red with cold and running, and, hopefully, a snow day or two.

Gathered Lace Blouse by Adrienne Larsen
Dottie's Pullover by Amy Miller
When enough seasons have changed and we have grown up a little, our lives begin to follow calendars, not seasons. Alarm clocks jingle—or beep a familiar marimba beat—at the same time year-round, and we scarcely notice whether we are waking up to midwinter's dark or summer's early sunrises. Holidays, which we used to know were coming when snow fell or Dad lugged home steaks and sacks of charcoal briquettes, turn into red-circled dates that involve planning and timelines. Who has time to notice the first robin of spring when it shows up on the day of a long-scheduled root canal?

This year, as our grown-up calendars turned, I've been thinking a lot about my firefly-chasing days. Rich with symbolism as the idea of a brand-new year is, the reality of adult lives means that my 2013 datebook is already smudged and inked with travel plans, deadlines, events, and, yes, dentist appointments. Plans and goals and commitments for the future make it easy to lose whole days, weeks, and months in the rush to get from one scheduled happening to another.

But at the beginnings of my childhood summers, I was sure they could never end. I didn't know what day school would begin again—but I noticed thunder and crickets, hot sunshine, squash swelling under their blossoms. I measured time in how long it took papier mâché to dry, how long it took to learn to do a handstand or a new friendship bracelet pattern. I knew the state of my little world on any given day, and how I fit into it. Day to day, season to season, year to year.

With that in mind, we've put together this first Interweave Knits issue of 2013 to bring seasonal joy back to staid calendars: The projects in this issue celebrate modern lace knitting for warming days, "Lace in Place"; breezy-cool knits for layering, "In Relief"; lighthearted patterning, "What Happened on Clayton Street"; and feminine, floating lace that feels as fresh as soft rain, "Float, Flutter, Drift." Spring is here! Take note of the waking earth, cast on, and make something new yourself. Make 2013 a year of living with awareness of our worlds, and with the intention of adding good things to it. Some things don't need to be written in a calendar.

Live in the moment—subscribe to Interweave Knits today!

Knit on,

P.S. Have you knit something from Interweave Knits lately? Tell us about it in the comments!

Comments

Harriettey wrote
on Mar 12, 2013 3:32 AM

I meant perhaps you could knit two backs and make a t-pull - very slow broadband in the depths of rural SW UK, I'm afraid!

Harriettey wrote
on Mar 12, 2013 3:31 AM

Perhaps you could knit two fronts ...? And make a t-pull?

shawlmaker wrote
on Mar 10, 2013 5:28 PM

Love the back of the Vertex cardigan. In pursuing other pictures of the sweater, I see why you showed the back. There isn't any front. Too bad. :)

on Mar 9, 2013 11:50 PM

Seriously?????  If am decide to knit something for my 15 year old niece, I might pick one of these patterns.  But I am a 58 year old woman and certainly wouldn't be caught in the purple Gathered Lace Blouse.  In fact, I would make it for my niece either.  She has more taste and class than to wear a "floosy" top.  Come on, let's see some patterns that I would not be ashamed to wear out to the store, church, or my grandkids school!

Elleberry wrote
on Mar 9, 2013 7:14 AM

Thanks for the reminder of living with awareness of the seasons and our earth in the moment and in the midst of the busy-ness of our lives. I loved being reminded of how we viewed time and changing seasons as children.

Hope everyone can take some moments to notice the coming spring.

on Mar 6, 2013 9:11 AM

I have purchased an e-subscription of interweave knits and am unable to find it on my computer. Can you help me

anyalulu wrote
on Mar 4, 2013 10:34 AM

Hi

I've just completed by second Astrida Shawl, OMG I love it AND i'm thinking of doing another one, shame I can't upload the photo's, one is in Noro, multi coloured and one is in Artesano

anyalulu wrote
on Mar 4, 2013 10:33 AM

Hi

niesa wrote
on Mar 4, 2013 9:40 AM

I have knit an Interweave Pattern!  I recently purchased Ann Budd's The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns because of the basic glove pattern, but then found myself knitting a baby hat instead.  It took me a few minutes to figure out how to read and understand the instructions, but then I was off--knitting my very first hat all by myself.  I loved that I didn't have to fret about having the "right" yarn or needle size or when and how much to decrease.  It was all in the book.  Everyone says "such and such book" is practically required by all knitters, in this case I agree wholeheartedly.  I'm a new knitter, and don't have the experience to tweak a pattern.  The Handy Book of Patterns took that anxiety away and let me just sit back and knit.  Thanks, Ann, for writing this wonderful book!

on Mar 4, 2013 9:00 AM

Yes, spring is on its way. With storms marching across the countryside, I'm looking for time change Sunday (March 10) like it's a major holiday. Like it needs to be celebrated with love, laughter, lots of music and food. Oh, I've never been so excited about Daylight Savings! Oh, the patterns, you say? I like the Vertex cardigan for some reason. Doesn't look too hard. Easy to do while I'm outside enjoying a cold beer and Daylight Savings.