Get into the 'Scene!

Jun 24, 2013

Rosemary Cardigan by Cassie Castillo
Emma Welford's Praline Pullover
Fabrication Pullover
by Josie Mercier
Knitscene magazine is entering a new phase, with a new editor, Amy Palmer. Her first issue at the helm is the upcoming Fall 2013 Knitscene, which is right around the corner.

Luckily, the Fall issues come out way before the actual season hits. I'm enjoying summer so much, I hate to think about Fall, but I do love seeing the fashion-forward sweaters and funky knitted accessories that Knitscene is so famous for.

Here's Knitscene's new editor, Amy Palmer, to tell you more about the Fall issue.

Complete honesty—I'm terrified of this week. This week is when our Knitscene Fall 2013 issue will be available for immediate download or pre-order for printed copies, and well . . . I just really want you to like it!

Penny-Candy Cardigan
by Melissa Wehrle

Emanuelle Pullover
by Mercedes Tarasovich-Clark

Forester Hat by Ashley Rao

It's my first issue as editor of Knitscene, though previous editor Lisa Shroyer planned out most of it, including the photo shoot, before she moved to Interweave Knits. But my name is a little higher on the masthead this time. It's exhilarating. And nerve wracking.

I am, however, confident you'll love the knitting patterns in this issue. Love them enough to  order a subscription to Knitscene and be one of our early adopters to this exciting new program!

As usual, we've tried—and succeeded, I think—to round up some of the best designers in the industry and created a collection of twenty-one patterns to knit this fall.

Featured designer Cassie Castillo's Rosemary Cardigan (showcased on the cover) is sure to become your new favorite knitted cardigan, with its cozy fit, easy knitting, and zigzag stitch pattern climbing the sleeves and adorning the pockets.

Our chevron story features seven knitting patterns utilizing one of the hottest stitch patterns today, and Mercedes Tarasovich-Clark not only delivered the incredible Emmanuelle Pullover but also shares six different ways to play around with chevron shaping in her informative article.

We put the so-called "wrong side" of knitting in the front row with four sweater and cardigan knitting patterns featuring reverse stockinette stitch, including Melissa Wehrle's Penny Candy Cardigan and Emma Welford's Praline Pullover.

And you can put your cable needles away, because we've got four patterns featuring mock cables—such as Josie Mercier's Fabrication Pullover, which uses lace patterns to create a cabled effect.

Not in a sweater knitting mood? We've got eight knitted accessories patterns to get your needles going. Check out Ashley Rao's Forester Hat.It's a wonderful earflap hat that features mock cables. This one will appeal to men and women.

We have made some changes to the interior of the magazine. One of my goals as editor is to connect with our fantastic Knitscene readers on a more personal level with the use of social medial tools, so the back page looks a little different.

In each issue, we'll feature one of our favorite knitting-related blogs and introduce you to the creative minds behind those blogs. I'd tell you more about our first featured blogger, but I can't give away all the surprises.

I hope you'll let me know what you think about the Fall issue of Knitscene—share your thoughts on KnittingDaily.com and via Twitter (@knittingdaily) or Facebook.

Tell us what you like or don't like; I'm not promising anything, but let's at least get the discussion going and maybe, maybe, I'll be a little less nervous with the next issue.

And don't forget to subscribe now so you'll get the Fall 2013 Knitscene sent right to your door!

Cheers,

P.S. Check out the preview and leave a comment to let me know what you think!

Comments

Ldacosta wrote
on Jun 29, 2013 8:58 AM

I used to love Knitscene back in 2005 through 2008 because the patterns were funkier and more eclectic than Interweave Knits, so there was greater variety between the two magazines.  The preview patterns all look like a Knits issue.  I hope that you might pull out the old "groovy" issues and bring some of that back as the new editor.  I am knitting the "side-way ribs" sweater from Fall/Winter 2005 right now.

on Jun 28, 2013 3:24 PM

PattyB: If you click on the preview link (in the P.S. above), you can see each pattern in the issue. Click on "Supply List" for any pattern you're interested in and you'll see the full size range, yarn, needles, gauge, and so on. It's all there.

Fruit Bat wrote
on Jun 25, 2013 12:47 AM

The Praline Pullover is most attractive.  When will Knitscene be available as a digital subscription?

Dawngolub wrote
on Jun 24, 2013 7:09 PM

I want to knit and wear Emma Welford's Praline Pullover! :)  It's just my style.  The lacy yoke is adorable with the henley style buttons.  I can't see the details too well in the photo, but the shoulders look interesting, too.  Can't wait to start this one...

on Jun 24, 2013 1:19 PM

Can't  wait to start on the Emmanuel  pullover.  Love the chevrons and the colors.

Grindl wrote
on Jun 24, 2013 1:00 PM

Love the praline pullover!  For cool summer nights/autumn and winter under a cardi.  Maybe the Penny Candy cardi?  Nice.

LexieDiane wrote
on Jun 24, 2013 12:58 PM

I am already a subscriber through Zinio to Interweave Knits and Crochet magazines, and have been buuying individual copies of Knitscene, which I have always liked, but I would much prefer to purchase my magazines in digital format.

Besides the obvious 'green' issues of purchasing magazines digitally, I live in the UK, so the cost would be more expensive to purchase the hard copy.

furthermore, I am severely ill and disabled and am confined to bed 99%  of the time, so the inly way I can access my vast 'library' (I have a kindle Fire for my books, too, as I love to read!) is to be able to access them all through either my laptop or kindle...it's so much easier, and takes up very little space compared to the hard copy magazines that I still get, but which I am phasing out gradually.

Although I am still able to knit and crochet, I am gradually losing the sensation in my hands, so turning magazine (or even book) pages, can be rather challenging, so there are so many bonuses for me to get only digital magazines from now on.

I also agree with an earlier comment about knowing the sizing of knitting patterns in the magazine, and yarns used would be great, too, since I have a huge yarn stash!

In the UK, the most common weight of yarn to have been used all my life (and I'm almost 51) is DK, or light worsted, so most of my stash is DK!  Furthermore, I was drawn to US magazines originally, because they generally have a wider size range than UK magazines, and due to limited mobility for more than half my life, I'm on the larger size...a size that UK magazines were not catering for, although they are beginning to learn...slowly! LOL!

So, please could you consider more designs for light worsted, and a digital subscription option, please???

As for which design I want to knit...it would be a case of which one FIRST, because I generally love most of the designs in Knitscene, and this issue, so far, appears to be no exception!

Good luck with the new job, by the way.  I'm sure you'll do just fine, so try not to be so nervous! ;-)

Diane... across the pond in the UK

ElaineS@5 wrote
on Jun 24, 2013 12:25 PM

Praline Pullover!  How beautiful!

memoulton wrote
on Jun 24, 2013 11:26 AM

I want to knit the forester hat.

diane0195 wrote
on Jun 24, 2013 11:01 AM

I would knit the Emanuelle Pullover!

on Jun 24, 2013 10:23 AM

Wonder if I would fit into that Praline pullover, or the Fabrication?

PattyB wrote
on Jun 24, 2013 9:18 AM

I am being very careful about what I buy when it comes to magazine. This looks interesting but if I am previewing this I need to know size range, yarns used (worsted, dk etc.) and better pictures. This can be easily done by posting to Ravelry before you send out this notice. Or, perhaps have a link to your site so I can see the above info. I just get cranky about this kind of thing.

vwlepore wrote
on Jun 24, 2013 7:46 AM

Amy, something about your email message really connected with me....a beginner-intermediate knitter, who has yet to knit her first sweater. I'm curious what Your knitting experiences are. I just finished reading the Knitting Sutra, and her memoir was very honest....no editing of her faults or obsessions and the trouble it brought her. Quite the learning experience for me. These honest observations are helpful for me, the online-community knitter.

Congratulations...and thanks for inviting the input.

Vickie Lepore

vwlepore wrote
on Jun 24, 2013 7:03 AM

Now that I have an ipad, and the knitCompanion app, I'm always curious which patterns will allow me to download the pdf onto the app. Is this an option with the patterns in KnitScene?