Do the Twist!

Jul 1, 2013

The Koolhaas Hat by Jared Flood

The Koolhaas Hat by Jared Flood is in my top five favorite knitted hats list. I've only knit one, and I gave it to my brother before I took a photo of it! Can you believe it? Some knitters would say that no photo means no finished object, but I really did finish it.The Koolhaas is a truly unisex hat that looks great on men or women, and if you have teenagers, they'll love it.

We've kitted this project again for you, so get yours now because they sold out super-quick last time we offered the kit. We've paired the project with Bijou Basin Ranch's Bijou Bliss. This is a yak/wool blend that you'll love working with. It's soft with the great stitch definition that's essential for getting the best results from the Koolhaas stitch pattern.

What makes the Koolhaas fun to knit is the twisted-stitch lattice pattern. This stitch pattern gives a lot of bang for its buck because it's easy to work and easy to memorize, but it looks complicated and challenging.

The texture of the twisted stitches provides a lot of the wow factor in this hat. Twisting the stitches makes them really stand out from the reverse stockinette background. The lattice becomes very 3D because of the twisted stitches.

If you've never knitted twisted stitches, or if it's been awhile, here's a little more information about the technique.

Twisted-Stitch Knitting

Both Styria (north/central Austria) and Bavaria (southern Germany) claim to be the district of origin for this beautiful knitted fabric. Beyond tracing the beginnings of the twisted-stitch knitting tradition to the eighteenth century, little detailed history is available about the technique. Motifs were passed along from knitter to knitter and tangibly preserved for future generations by means of knitted samplers.

Koolhaas Hat, back view
Catherine Grace's Koolhaas
Hat and glove set
With its traveling stitches and cables, the technique is similar to Aran knitting except that each knit stitch is worked into the back of the stitch: thus the name twisted-stitch knitting. With no "plain" stitches, the knitting itself is relatively slow, but the reward is enormous as the twists tighten and raise each stitch to enhance the detail of the resulting topography.

If you are familiar with basic cable techniques, you will have no difficulty with the right and left twists because they are actually the smallest possible cables: one stitch crossing over another. You merely have to get into the habit of working into the back of each knit stitch.

—Meg Swanson, Interweave Knits, Fall 2010

Pretty easy yet impactful stitch pattern, I think. The design really does evoke the Rem Koolhaas-designed Seattle Public Library, which is what inspired Jared's Koolhaas hat design.

I lived in Seattle for about twenty years and I was fortunate to be there when the library was being built. It was a big deal, and rightly so. The finished building is fabulously beautiful and unique. It's as wonderful inside as out, too. There are really nice reading areas, amazing views, and high-tech library services. It's a great place to hang out.

But back to the hat! We did a Koolhaas knit-along in Fall 2011, and it was so much fun. Catherine Grace loved her hat so much she added a matching motif to a pair of gloves (photo at right). So pretty!

I know you'll enjoy knitting the Koolhaas as much as we did. So get your Koolhaas Kit today, start knitting, and remember to take a photo of your finished hat!

Cheers,

P.S. Have you knitted the Koolhaas Hat? Leave a comment below and tell us what you thought about knitting the twisted-stitch lattice pattern?

Featured Product

Natural Cream Koolhaas Knitted Hat Kit

Availability: Out Of Stock
Price: $27.00

Kit

This kit includes the Koolhaas hat pattern download and one skeing of Bijou Bliss yarn in Natural Cream.

Comments

on Jul 31, 2013 10:09 AM

I'm definitely going to make this hat for fall and winter. I love the texture and the idea of single stitch cables. I'm working on Turn a Square by Jared Flood right now, so I know this will be another great pattern.

AnnieB wrote
on Jul 15, 2013 3:54 PM

Hi All! If you ordered one of the Koolhaas kits, the pattern download is included . The download would've shown up in your shopping cart when you purchased the kit, but if you didn't download it right away it'll be stash in "your downloads" section of your account at Interweavestore.com. If you'd like to skip the yarn and just order the pattern, it is available at InterweaveStore.com in the Knitted Accessories section of the pattern store. Thank you! -Annie

Linda Baird wrote
on Jul 9, 2013 10:00 PM

Is this a pattern for beginners?

sjharter wrote
on Jul 8, 2013 8:34 AM

Is it possible to just get the pattern please! I have soooo much yarn already. I've searched your sight and cannot seem to locate the pattern! Please Help!

jannielsen wrote
on Jul 6, 2013 8:35 PM

I ordered the yarn and I have received it.  How do I get the hat pattern? I thought it was coming with the yarn .  Can you direct me ?

jannielsen wrote
on Jul 6, 2013 8:35 PM

jannielsen wrote
on Jul 6, 2013 8:35 PM

tobin922 wrote
on Jul 6, 2013 6:51 PM

Help, I ordered this kit the first time.  I have the yarn in red but can't find the download.  Can you help?

fred1943 wrote
on Jul 6, 2013 1:56 PM

I have made two of these cool hats. They look wonderful and really are easy to make. Everyone loves them. I used aurora 8 for mine and they were soft and comfortable to wear.

on Jul 6, 2013 12:43 PM

Help!  I received the yarn but not the pattern.  I can't seem to find it on your pages.  I would very much like to get right into knitting it.  My other hat patterns seem to need more yarn.  Annieknits

djm8 wrote
on Jul 6, 2013 11:17 AM

Kathleen, I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoy the Knitting Daily newsletter. And I can't wait to make this hat. Thanks for all your great tips!

kateg6207 wrote
on Jul 6, 2013 11:11 AM

I made this hat twice so far and love it. the directions come in two size options. The shorter one is more of a skull cap, the longer one is a little slouchy. Both are beautiful. I will probably make it again.

atlohi wrote
on Jul 6, 2013 10:37 AM

Before you order a kit for this hat, please try to buy the yarn from your local yarn shop.  You can see and feel the product and discuss it with the staff and later you can get help with the project from real people.

Terry726 wrote
on Jul 6, 2013 8:30 AM

Beautiful hat!  I'd love to have the glove pattern also.  Is it available?

Sherill wrote
on Jul 1, 2013 4:31 PM

I knitted this hat a couple of years ago - had a little trouble with the top but it came out just fine. I gave it to my son who lives in the Seattle area - we both love the looks of that library!

bjones10 wrote
on Jul 1, 2013 1:11 PM

I have knit this three times, once in cashmere and twice in merino.  Love the pattern and both my husband and my brother-in-law wear the hat ALOT in the winter.  The 3rd was knit as part of the hats to the military overseas charity.

amber.g wrote
on Jul 1, 2013 11:57 AM

I've knit this hat 3 times, twice with Lobster Pot 100% Cashmere, once with Mountain Colors 4/8 (I think).  I get more compliments on this pattern than any other I've done.  (btw, Lobster Pot cashmere = 2 hats w/ 3 skeins.)

on Jul 1, 2013 11:17 AM

I made this hat last winter as a gift for myself. It didn't take long to get the rhythm of the pattern, and I even figured out how to make it flat, rather than circular, and made myself a scarf to match. I won't be using it today. It is supposed to be 100 degrees here.

marybest wrote
on Jul 1, 2013 10:45 AM

I have been working on this project on and off for years. My problem is between rows 6 & 7 on the lattice chart. Have tried it with other knitting friends too. Any "special" hints would be appreciated.