Cast on . . . a spell!

Aug 7, 2013

The magic of the Harry Potter saga touches everyone who's ventured into its world. I locked my keys in my car a couple of weeks ago, and oh, how I wished for a wand and the power of the Alohomora charm!

The designers of the projects in The Unofficial Harry Potter Knits identify with certain charms, too. Here are a few of their designs, along with their desired spells:

Mermaid's Song by Susanna IC

This shawl is inspired by the mysterious world of mermaids so vividly imagined in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

Susanna says, "I am sure that an Invisibility Cloak could come in handy, but I would really like all of Mrs. Weasley's housework charms. It would be great to have all the chores taken care of, but not the magic knitting. I prefer to do my own knitting.

Tonk's Togs by Laura Lynch

Nymphadora Tonks's ability to change her appearance at will inspired this sweater that can be styled for a quiet evening in, an afternoon of shopping, or a night on the town.

Laura says, "I would love to be able to call up a Room of Requirement . . . there would always be a place for my
stash or a lovely sunny studio whenever I needed a quiet
place to work."
Time Turner Mitts
by Serri Slkowski

Hermione applies her knitting skills in her attempts to liberate the Hogwarts house-elves in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, but before she embarked on charity knitting, she may have tried her hand at a few functional garments for herself, such as these mitts.

Sherri says, "I think my preference would be for Felix Felicis. Everyone needs a bit of good luck, and I would love to be able to share it!"

Tracery Vest by Kathleen Sperling

This garment was inspired by Gothic-style stained-glass windows, such as might be found in the Great Hall at Hogwarts.

Kathleen says,
"As the mother of children in cloth diapers, being able to clean clothes with Scourgify or Tergeo would be unspeakably fabulous."
Get your copy of The Unofficial Harry Potter Knits today; I promise you'll find it charming!

Cheers,

P.S. What charm do you wish you had at the ready? Leave a comment and let us know!

Comments

Boydiecat wrote
on Aug 14, 2013 9:32 AM

Very sad that the The Unofficial Harry Potter Knits are exclusive to the U.S. very, very disappointed.

Regards

Christine

PamK@8 wrote
on Aug 11, 2013 9:53 PM

Really disappointing this is not available in Canada. What a loss for you in sales. Disappointing!

cokerdr wrote
on Aug 10, 2013 7:59 PM

The patterns are lovely, but I'm disappointed that there's nothing for children included.  I regret that this is an "unofficial" collection printed without honoring the Harry Potter trademark.  I'm pretty sure that's why its distribution is limited.

Paula EB wrote
on Aug 10, 2013 3:59 PM

Not to Canada????????????????  SO SAD : (

jclay wrote
on Aug 10, 2013 12:36 PM

I agree with the comments about Lord of the Rings or Chronicles of Narnia pattern collections.

aj_grad13 wrote
on Aug 10, 2013 8:30 AM

I wanna be able to apparate. I drive a truck, and I love my truck (my bff named it Rin), but gas for a 20 gallon tank is a lil expensive (I wish it was just a boggart! RIDICULUS!!!). There are so many times that I forget something little, but I've already left the house and if I go back, I'll be late. (My band director trained us good: "Early is on time. On time is late." If you were late to practice, you ran. If you missed the bus, you didn''t go and you ran when everyone got back.)

Krum wrote
on Aug 10, 2013 7:11 AM

I love the Harry Potter books & movies. Hard to chose just one favorite spell or charm, so I think I'll agree with Sussanna, I would love to use Molly Weasley's housework charms then I would have more time to knit.   :D

As with the previous comments, I would also love to see some Lord of the RIng inspired and patterns in a booklet.

MariaM@2 wrote
on Aug 10, 2013 6:25 AM

I also would love to see a Lord of the Rings and Narnia-inspired pattern collection.

riverina wrote
on Aug 10, 2013 5:23 AM

I second horselove's suggestion of a Lord of the Rings and Narnia-inspired pattern collection. May I suggest one collection per book, also? ;) (big LOTR fan here)

LauraInPA wrote
on Aug 7, 2013 10:33 AM

I would LOVE to be able to apparate - especially as I sit in traffic during my hour-long commute to work.

I got my copy of The Unofficial Harry Potter Knits the other day. I loved the books, and the magazine was pure pleasure. I read every word, and the designs are to die for. I loved how both the designs and the models suited the characters so well!  I'm really excited about this book, though my confidence in my ability to actually knit some of the patterns is low. :)

Laura G

horselove wrote
on Aug 7, 2013 8:58 AM

While I've never been a fan of the Harry Potter books or movies, it does look like there are some very nice patterns here and they look quite magical! I really enjoy most literature inspired knit and crochet pattern books/mags and I wish people would design more of them. Might I suggest that Interweave try making a Lord of the Rings or The Chronicles of Narnia inspired knits book/mag? :)