A Perfect Knit Sweater: The Clear Creek Pullover

Sep 9, 2013

The Clear Creek Pullover by Carol Feller
Those of you who've been reading Knitting Daily for awhile know that I love sweater knitting. Whether it's a cable knit sweater or a stockinette beauty, I'm in.

The Clear Creek Pullover by Carol Feller, from the Fall 2013 Interweave Knits is another knit sweater trifecta: Fabulous yarn, an easy pattern with a cool trim, and it's knit top-down. Yes! It's also got this cool edging that incorporates and elongated drop stitch.

I've used this technique to make scarves, but never as an edging for a sweater. It's really neat and surprising to see this stitch used in a sweater; geniuses, those knitwear designers.

Here's how you work the edging stitch.

Elongated Stitch Edging
Madelinetosh Pashmina in Steam Age
Elongated Stitch Edging
Note: The following directions are for knitting in the round. To get this look knitting in rows, knit all rows.

Round 1 Purl.
Round 2 Knit.
Round 3 Purl.
Round 4 *K1, wrapping yarn 2 times around right needle; rep from * around.
Round 5 *P1, dropping both wraps from left needle; rep from * around.
Rounds 6 and 8 Knit.
Rounds 7 and 9 Purl.
Rounds 10-17 Rep Rounds 2-9.
Round 18 Knit.

Besides this cool edging, the Clear Creek Pullover is knit from luscious Madelinetosh Pashmina, which is a blend of merino, silk, and cashmere. Yummy. The colorway is steam age, which is lovely. I've felt this yarn and it's so soft. I can imagine an entire sweater made out of this yarn, and it's a good thing!

The Clear Creek also has waist darts, so it's totally flattering. It's details like this that make a knitter love a sweater.

If you don't subscribe to Interweave Knits, now's the time! Sign up for your subscription today so you don't miss out on the next great sweater.

Cheers,

P.S. Will you knit the Clear Creek Pullover? Leave a comment and tell us what you like about it!

Comments

fadams wrote
on Sep 15, 2013 10:11 PM

Sometimes you can find individual copies for sale on Ebay.

elizabethkay wrote
on Sep 15, 2013 2:40 PM

Pattern is in the Fall 2013 issue of "Interweave Knits"

on Sep 15, 2013 1:09 PM

I love it. Where is the pattern available?

on Sep 14, 2013 7:19 PM

I'd live to make this sweater bits beautiful! But I see no link to purchase the pattern or to download free. Search only turned up comments on the KD blog. If the only way to get the pattern is to buy the magazine can you help a sister out and publish which issue we need? Thanks.

on Sep 14, 2013 4:45 PM

I would like to knit this sweater, but have not been able to find the pattern.  Can you point me to a way to find it?  Thanks.

Barbara Tobias

dyj7188 wrote
on Sep 14, 2013 1:20 PM

I agree with BevH. It is a classic "ballet" style top with the wide neck and three-quarter sleeves. I also agree that if it were made with a slinky, slippery yarn, it would be troublesome to wear at work, as it might slide down or off at an inappropriate moment ;D

I will purchase the issue, even though I am old and chubby! I would love to make it in a cotton, linen or bamboo blend, since I live in the southeast US. It looks like a perfect transitional piece, plain enough to be dressed up with a scarf, layered over a  turtleneck or thrown over a camisole tank top.

on Sep 14, 2013 11:32 AM

Yes   do you have the pattern for download

BevH wrote
on Sep 14, 2013 10:34 AM

Gorgeous sweater!  Can't wait to start it.  I love the wide neckline, which is my favorite style, and they are hard to find.  I wear them layered as well as  unlayered (when it's warmer weather.)  I disagree that it's only for the young.  I'm 70 and think this is a classic look.

elizabethkay wrote
on Sep 14, 2013 7:05 AM

I cast this sweater on almost immediately after I got my most recent copy of Interweave Knits! I don't have the yarn the pattern suggests, but I just couldn't wait! I love the details. And layering is all the rage, so although I am not an off the shoulders girl I saw this and just had to knit it!! And I think a beginner knitter would enjoy this. The short rows are easily explained, and top down is a nice way to construct a sweater, no seams!

lenibjerg wrote
on Sep 14, 2013 5:57 AM

I think it is a fab abd flattering sweater. I wlll knit and wear it and I am 64!  Happy knitting everyone. :-)

DebC@6 wrote
on Sep 10, 2013 12:18 PM

This could be a lovely sweater if it didn"t have an impossibly wide neckline.  This is attractive on so very few women, and layering only works if you're under 45, not menopausal, and stick thin.  Too bad, would have been a nice canditate for fall/winter.

jullibean wrote
on Sep 9, 2013 5:29 PM

I can't find the pattern!!

Jan V.H. wrote
on Sep 9, 2013 1:13 PM

Years ago I saw this effect in sweaters but it was much more simple.

By using a small needle and a very large needle, no wraps needed.

example size 6 or 8 with an 11 or 13, even a 15.

newest wrote
on Sep 9, 2013 11:52 AM

I  will NOT be making this sweater.  Who wants a long sleeved sweater which nearly hangs off the shoulders?????

Jubilada wrote
on Sep 9, 2013 11:03 AM

I am a beginner knitter. What is the level for this pullover? How do I

Access the pattern. I like that fact that it has darts. I am slender and don't

Want a big bulky pullover. Thank you! Teresa

Hennystrickt wrote
on Sep 9, 2013 10:11 AM

What I like? I like all details!!!

I'll knit this wonderful sweater very soon!

Henny Kellner

on Sep 9, 2013 8:05 AM

I  love this sweater, it's beautifull!! nice waist and edges.

I do not have much time to knit, but for this one  i make time.

linda Verkade