Be an Armchair Traveling Knitter

Sep 30, 2013

The Tara Jacket by Ashley Rao

Hi-Fi Pullover by Ruth Garcia-Alcantud

Heliotrope Hat
by Megan Werdmuller von Elgg

I do a lot of armchair traveling. Whether it's a book set in a far-away land, a movie about the Italian Renaissance, or an episode of Rick Steves' Europe on PBS, I love them all. And if there's knitting involved, more's the better!

The new issue of Knitscene fits the bill perfectly, with a story about international designer Ruth Garcia-Alcantud, and a list of books that will make you want to travel, or at least knit projects inspired by fabulous locations.

No matter what my travel plans include next year—I think an Alaska knitting cruise may be in the itinerary!—I am knitting Ashley Rao's Tara Jacket, shown at right. I love the zipper placement and the traveling ribbing. The Tara is a jacket that will travel well, don't you think?

Here's Knitscene Editor Amy Palmer to tell you more about this fantastic winter issue!

Bristlecone Pullover
by Allyson Dykhuizen

Byzantium Stole by Karen Rhea

Travel the World with Knitscene

I seem to have a perpetual case of wanderlust. A few weeks ago, I researched airfare and hotel combinations to Iceland, and let me tell you, if you can deal with shorter days and perhaps less-than-ideal weather, October is a very cost-effective time to go to Iceland.

Maybe this constant desire to be seeing new things, meeting new people, is what led us to go a bit further afield for this issue of Knitscene. For the first time ever, we have an international featured designer in Ruth Garcia-Alcantud, and the corresponding profile was written by Derya Davenport, a woman who alternates between a British and a Turkish address.

We've also rounded up some of our favorite books related to knitting around the world—perfect reading for the daydreaming traveler.

For our photo shoot, we wandered farther than we have in recent years, to a town called Rollinsville, Colorado, to take advantage of beautiful forest backdrops for The Woods story.

As much as we'd love to travel to the Southern Hemisphere for seasonally appropriate scenery, finding magical locations closer to home comes with its own sense of joy and accomplishment—we may have driven two hours, one way, to get there, but we also knew we'd be sleeping in our own beds that night.

Ashley Rao helps knitters by providing three different tubular cast-on routes to accomplishing a smooth, seamless edge to ribbing, and Alana Dakos reminds us to look around, wherever we are, to see the inspiration all around us.

On a plane or curled up on the couch, this issue of Knitscene is designed to transport your knitting dreams into reality. And if you're knitting while traveling, send me photos.

Don't miss a thing! Get your copy of Knitscene Winter 2013 today!

Happy knitting,

P.S. Leave a comment below and tell us where you've traveled with your knitting. I've taken mine to Egypt!

Comments

SusanBHoney wrote
on Oct 7, 2013 9:25 AM

I took my knitting on a Mediterranean cruise.  It was great to have something to keep my mind busy on the long flight from the US to Europe and back.  Several people asked to see my work and commented that they would love to learn lace knitting.  On board the ship, they had a craft lounge.  I took my knitting to work on and was asked if I would assist with a knitting class.  It was amazing to meet all of the people that travel with their knitting.  What a great way to mmet new people and share techniques.

Vicki Rowe wrote
on Oct 5, 2013 7:55 AM

Switzerland! A guard on one of the trains was fascinated by the 'English' way that I knit - not the way he had been taught at all.

PattiKnits wrote
on Oct 5, 2013 7:16 AM

I knit two hats while on safari in Tanzania. Two of our guides now have new hats.

SarahW@7 wrote
on Oct 2, 2013 3:44 PM

I've knit while travelling in Russia, France, Scotland, England, Mexico, Ireland, all over the US.

MeritS wrote
on Oct 1, 2013 4:01 PM

I took a train from Mumbai to Ahmnabad in India and got some curious looks!

ruthbr wrote
on Oct 1, 2013 10:04 AM

I took my knitting on a Caribbean cruise.  One of the waitresses was very interested in it and wanted me to hurry up and finish my stole so that she could try it on!

on Sep 30, 2013 6:46 PM

I'm new to this site, but  last time I went on a plane  my knitting needles were taken

Leigh Vaughn wrote
on Sep 30, 2013 6:22 PM

I travel frequently, some car trips, but mostly by plane.  So far I've been to every continent except Africa & Antarctica.  I even like airport layovers, more time to knit!  On one flight I sat next to a gentleman whose wife owned a yarn shop in Macon, GA!  I never would have heard about that shop if I hadn't been knitting.  I knit on take-off's and landings and have never been told to put my needles away.

on Sep 30, 2013 5:31 PM

I was excited to see you are planning a trip to Iceland.  My daughter and I went in January for a long weekend and had an awesome time.  Icelandic wool was so fun to learn about.  I bought already made knitted items along with skeins of yarn to knit.  My new Icelandic wool sweater is almost finished.  Happy travels!

Jbrysal wrote
on Sep 30, 2013 3:53 PM

I am on my way to Buenos Aires to visit my son and looking forward to picking up some of those wonderful yarns from South America but spending way too much time trying to decide which projects to start for the plane trip and looking for the best shops while there. Anyone who has advice on yarns from Argentina would be appreciated.

Jbrysal wrote
on Sep 30, 2013 3:52 PM

on Sep 30, 2013 12:32 PM

I've knitted a scarf for my much loved sister in law on a river cruise starting in Amsterdam and finishing in Vienna.  Knitted on all the planes, only needed to put them away during take off in Germany...so much fun.  Knitting a cowl in Kaui now.

quiggers wrote
on Sep 30, 2013 11:50 AM

I live in Dublin, Ireland and travel regularly to Fuerteventura in the Canary Islands. Not only do I bring my knitting with me, I knit away on the plane. Great that you can now bring needles in hand luggage.

on Sep 30, 2013 11:44 AM

I have travelled with my knitting to NYC, San Francisco, Jasper National park, Australia, New Zealand and Israel. I treasure the yarn I bought there and the projects I worked on in those places.

Debbie S. Edmonton, Alberta

on Sep 30, 2013 11:36 AM

I didn't take mine on my trip to Holland, but had a secret desire to find a yarn shop while I was there. No luck.

on Sep 30, 2013 11:22 AM

PS - I also taught a small group of Muslim women to knit while I was in Cairo.

on Sep 30, 2013 11:21 AM

My knitting is with me where ever I go...it's been to Ireland, Egypt and Germany.  It's so easy to take anywhere!

Wendyr@24 wrote
on Sep 30, 2013 11:00 AM

I always have knitting with me - but the furthest I have ever taken it is to Antarctica!  Perfect for those long days at sea!

Revanna414 wrote
on Sep 30, 2013 9:30 AM

Mine went with me from the US to South Korea a few years ago. Basically, my knitting goes where I go, I've just not gone anyplace more exotic!

ergoni wrote
on Sep 30, 2013 8:54 AM

I've taken knitting to Britain, Paris, Israel, Argentina, Chile and Patagonia.

Beware, though - South American airport security doesn't allow knitting needles on board planes.  But they do allow water bottles (except when you are flying back to the U.S.) - go figure!

on Sep 30, 2013 7:44 AM

My knitting and my spindle has traveled to Algeria where I found out that this art is not being taught to the young.  They have no interest and I was an anomaly in that I was under 60 and knew not only to knit BUT I could spin on a spindle.

leighanntx wrote
on Sep 30, 2013 7:06 AM

I am an American expat living in Shanghai, China. My knitting has gone with me to Thailand, Japan, Singapore, South Korea, Australia, New Zealand.  Last week it was on the high-speed train with me from Shanghai to Beijing. I get A LOT of stares!