Knitting University

Oct 4, 2013

I had a friend in college whose major was clothing and textiles. I always thought that was such an odd major, but now I'm not so sure. She left college with a knowledge of textiles that was so in-depth, and her education continues to help her immensely in her job at Nike.

I don't regret my majors in English and journalism, but sometimes I wish I knew more about fibers and certain knitting techniques. I want a third degree. . . in knitting! The homework assignments sure would be a lot of fun!

It's not an actual knitting degree, but we have the next best thing for you—Craft Daily! Craft Daily offers hours of workshops from professional designers, which you can access any time of day.

Here are three classes that I would definitely include in a knitting degree curriculum!

Interweave Knits Workshop: 45+ Knitted Cast-Ons and Bind-Offs—Part 1, Cast-Ons
with Ann Budd

Ann says: "Hi. I'm Ann Budd. I've been designing and editing knitwear for several years, and I've authored and co-authored many books on knitting basics and design. Please join me in my workshop for casting on, and I'll teach you an essential assortment of cast-on techniques that will open up the possibilities for any knitting project."
Inside Intarsia
with Anne Berk

Anne says: "I've been teaching knitting for fifteen years and I'm really drawn to techniques that knitters find intimidating. the basics of intarsia knitting. I'll show you which materials and yarns are the best depending on the type of project, how to read a colorwork chart, plus lots more tips and techniques."
Short-Row Knitting
with Nancie Wiseman

Nancy says: "Short rows are a rather magical techniques used to make garments fit better and make finishing easier. I've created some innovative ways to use short-rows to design new shapes and add color to your knitting. Join me an learn how to work short-rows for all kinds of projects."

Start your knitting education with a subscription to Craft Daily and attend your first class today!

Cheers,

P.S. What's the best knitting class you've ever taken? Why? Leave a comment and share your experience with us.

Comments

Kileysue wrote
on Oct 14, 2013 10:59 AM

I just wanted to follow up on my prior note...Craft Daily has responded to my concerns and has provided a resolution. It probably shouldn't have taken a second e-mail from me, but I am grateful they came up with suitable resolution and I will be taking advantage of it. Sometimes a second impression is better than the first. I look forward to learning from them. Thanks.

Kileysue wrote
on Oct 10, 2013 4:09 PM

Just checking to see if anyone else had the same experience I did with with Craft Daily. On the 4th, I read this post and was interested in checking out their classes since I'd never heard of them before. I went to the site and was impressed with the classes they offered...and BONUS...they were offering a free first month to try them out. I believe it said the expiration was 10/31. I was really excited...I bookmarked the page and left it up so I could check it out again that evening when I had more time. I then had an update done to my computer that made me reboot my machine. When I went back into the site, just hours after the very first time I had ever been there, the free month was gone. I wrote to them asking about it. Today I received the following explanation: "Unfortunately, the free trial period has expired. I apologize for the inconvenience. I would love to honor the free trial; however, no free trials currently exist. I would suggest monitoring your email for future promotions." So it "expired" mid-day...and coincidentally on the same day Knitting Daily gave them a big shout out? Hmmm...anyone else notice this or was it just me? I can't say I'm impressed with their business practice based on this first impression. Thanks!

scobaugh wrote
on Oct 7, 2013 12:56 PM

Could you tell me the pattern for the sweater Ms. wiseman is wearing?

Sandi Rustie wrote
on Oct 6, 2013 11:37 AM

I have never tried a new yarn as it was introduced.  It would be such a treat to be included in a test run of new yarn!  I love cables and baby things which sound like these yarns would be perfect for.  Give me a chance!!!!!!!

GillianV wrote
on Oct 4, 2013 1:55 PM

I have a friend who complete the Master Hand Knitting Program and she has an very in-depth knowledge.

kathryn@11 wrote
on Oct 4, 2013 9:51 AM

I don't usually leave comments--especially critical ones. But, as a writer with a large daily audience, you are the public face of the English major and you should know the difference between who's and whose! Those of us teaching English and writing needs support from those of you writing for the public.

on Oct 4, 2013 8:58 AM

The Knitting Guild Association (TKGA) Master Hand Knitting Program! Not really a class, but an incredible program for researching, learning, practicing, perfecting, and demonstrating knitting techniques from the most basic to lace, color work, pattern writing, etc.

LauraR@15 wrote
on Oct 4, 2013 8:30 AM

I'd have to say the very first beginning knitting class I took as an adult was the best because it started my passion for knitting.  I been taught to knit at a young age and puttered around with some things in high school, but never really got it.  The class was the catalyst 15 years ago and I haven't stopped since!  Also, one of the best pieces of advice I got from my LYS when I asked if they had a class about sweater knitting was "Just start one!  It's the best way to learn, and we are here to help you if you run into issues."  Not a class, but it gave me courage to try and also to try other "hard" things.

VAndrea wrote
on Oct 4, 2013 8:27 AM

My best - and only, actually - teacher was my great-grandmother, who taught me how to knit, crochet and embroider starting around the age of 5.  I am left-handed, and my family discussed me a lot because I was having problems learning to write.  My great-grandma put me on a footstool facing her, put a pair of knitting needles in my hand, and said, "Do what I do."  Which I did.  I have loved knitting ever since.  My stitched are backward from everyone else's, but that's ok.  My work is beautiful, as I am constantly told, I love it, and I thank my great-grandma for her patience with me!