Tara Jacket Knit-Along!

Oct 29, 2013

A few weeks ago, I talked about the Tara Jacket in a Knitting Daily newsletter, and I asked whether you would be interested in knitting it as a knit-along. The answer was a resounding YES!

So, join me in knitting the Tara Jacket from Knitscene, Winter 2013!

Order or download the magazine here.

For more information about the Tara Jacket, click here.

Here's the schedule:

10/29–11/12: Buy the pattern (or find it in your copy of Knitscene, Winter 2013), choose your yarn, swatch
11/13–1/8:
Knit body
1/8–1/30:
Knit sleeves
1/31–2/14:
Finishing

Here's how a knit-along works:

1. Download your pattern (or find it in a magazine or book if it was previously published).

2. Buy your yarn (or find it in your stash), and knit your swatch.

3. Introduce yourself in the forum, and tell us which yarn you're using. To chat in the forum, just reply to this post (or any other post)! This forum is where all of the fun is; it's where you'll share your tips, ask questions, or upload photos, and it's where you'll find support if you're having problems.

(If you're wondering how to insert a photo into a post, click here.)

4. Post a photo of your finished garment when you're done.

Helpful link: Tubular Bind-Off. Also check You Tube for videos showing knitting techniques you might be unfamiliar with.

It's as easy as that. Now let's get started!

This stylish women’s motorcycle jacket features asymmetrical shaping, an exposed zipper and buttons.

All edges are highly refined due to use of Tubular CO and Tubular BO techniques.

Comments

ddtheriault wrote
on Nov 6, 2013 1:05 PM

Hi Susan....I would knit more stitches than asked so I can pin out 4 inches with some space on either side and longer in length because your tension can change (plus this'll give you a truer sense of your gauge), then I count how many stitches are within those 4 inches. It should be relaxed and not stretched out. Before you measure, play with the swatch a bit, pull on it, twist it, stuff it in your hand and wad it up, then wash and block and measure. There's time before the real knitting begins with this project. I'm going to knit one needle size down from the required gauge because of the stretchiness of this fabric.

Looking forward to knitting my first jacket with a zipper :D

susanolson1 wrote
on Nov 5, 2013 10:50 PM

Question: how to measure the gauge?  The suggested gauge is a 1x1 rib.  Are you supposed to stretch it out to measure 4" or let it totally relax onto itself?  The actual jacket shows it stretched…..  my unstretched swatch is 3", not 4".

MargoL wrote
on Nov 4, 2013 6:34 AM

The schedule is great if you want some winter in which to wear this - but does NOT work for those of us with last-minute holiday knitting to finish!  It never fails, at Thanksgiving someone in my family requests gloves, or a new vest, or.........

jumies wrote
on Nov 3, 2013 1:16 AM

I purchased a subscription a couple weeks ago and still have not received it. I really only did it for this pattern. Should I cancel and just download?

on Nov 2, 2013 11:48 AM

I just ordered the pattern. I will need to shorten the jacket thru the body. Will anyone be able to advise me?

MelisaM wrote
on Nov 2, 2013 11:39 AM

I so wish this was worsted instead of bulky. I know it is folly to knit anything bulky for my climate but I love the shape of this. What would be a good yarn sub for those of us who can't wear Alpaca? Needs to be something soft and not itchy for me.

Shycat wrote
on Nov 2, 2013 10:33 AM

Hi again,

Well, I figured it out and am fine.  Just need to find some yarn now!  Ignore my first post.  Thanks

Shycat wrote
on Nov 1, 2013 12:12 PM

Hi there,

I have the magazine and would really like to do this but am wondering about the double knitting with the ribbing.  I have not done anything with the technique other than a practice piece and it was only with St. st.  How difficult will this be?  I am a fairly avid knitter other wise.

Sharon

on Nov 1, 2013 8:29 AM

I am using Berroco Voyage in birch as in the magazine. Would it work to use a crochet cast on rather than the tubular?

divafern wrote
on Oct 31, 2013 3:50 PM

I'm shopping for yarn for this - since she's using heavy worsted - if I can'f find an equivalent I like do you think it'd be better to err on the side of worsted or on the side of bulky? I tend to be a bit of a looser knitter.

ddtheriault wrote
on Oct 30, 2013 4:55 PM

This is cool because: 1) it's a top-down sweater, 2) I have the magazine, therefore, the pattern, and 3) I'll be at the Knitting Lab and if I can't find a yarn in my stash that'll work with this pattern, I can get it at the Market Place on Friday!

I'm excited ... though I'm working on a cardigan for my son and it's taking quite a bit of time.

Diana