The Ultimate TV Knitting!

Dec 6, 2013

I'll admit it: I love TV. I watch way too many programs, but I don't feel one bit guilty because I knit during all of my TV-watching time. It's my time, and I look forward to it and savor it.

There's one program that I don't knit while watching, though, and that's Knitting Daily TV. I can't tear myself away from the exciting world of knitting!

I'm so excited for this season (the 12th!), because the fabulous Vickie Howell is our new host. I watched every episode of Knitty Gritty, Vickie's old PBS show, and I just fell in love with her fun personality and interesting take on all things knitting. I really missed that show when it ended.

Although Vickie had some big shoes to fill when Eunny Jang left KDTV, she's done a wonderful job making it her own.

Here's a preview of episode 1201, all about my favorite thing: cable knitting!

This season, Vickie will host a variety of guest stars, including Interweave Knits editor Lisa Shroyer and Interweave Crochet editor Marcy Smith, who will teach you new techniques, delve into knitting history, and share the latest fashion and knitting trends.

The new season of KDTV will begin airing on PBS stations in January, but you can see it now by downloading it from the Knitting Daily Shop (or ordering the DVDs)!

Just one of the exciting changes is a new segment, Tools of the Trade, hosted by knitting author Tanis Gray. It's designed to introduce viewers to the latest new products and yarns. It's really fun to see all of the innovative knitting tools!

I've watched the first few episodes, and I promise you, there's so much to learn and enjoy that you won't be able to knit while watching it, either!

Cheers,

P.S. Leave a comment and share your favorite TV program to watch while knitting. My current obsession is Elementary. I love it!

Comments

MinnieMay9 wrote
on Jan 17, 2014 4:10 PM

Does anyone know the name of the pattern of the sweater Vicki is wearing in this ep? I love the look of it.

ddipsy wrote
on Dec 19, 2013 11:19 AM

I have moved from a house to a one bedroom apartment.  I'm quite hearing impaired, so I now have to watch tv with close captioning.  TVs no longer provide a way to use headphones.  Anyway, a tv program I never let myself get distracted from is Masterpiece on PBS.  It doesn't matter what is on; I enjoy eyeing the outfits, including the hats, coats, gloves, and shoes.  I too carefully look at the hairdos.  I like to see the men being "gentlemenlike" as my grandfathers and father were.  I get so inspired by Masterpiece, when it comes to making up either a sewing or knitting project.  So, is there one program I never knit while watching?  No!  But, when there's nothing good on tv, I will knit through several shows. (I don't have cable tv.)

antiquenutt wrote
on Dec 8, 2013 5:46 PM

I never did care for the old Knitty Gritty, not the programming or the projects, I like Eunny Jang so much better, great presentation, things I am interested in.  Please, where did Eunny go so I can watch her????  she is just so accomplished, I love watching her.

kenamaria wrote
on Dec 8, 2013 1:44 PM

I live in Lima Perú it´s in South America, we have many cable channels but not PBS, is it possible to watch KDTV online??

on Dec 8, 2013 1:42 PM

I would love to know if Knitting Daily TV is available to us Canadian knitters? I cannot find it on any of the channels I currently have.  If not, any plans to make it available in the future? I've seen some episodes on DVD and would love to have access to watch more.

DerryMary wrote
on Dec 8, 2013 4:00 AM

Since I live in Ireland, this show is not available to me at all but will look for it next time I'm back in America. Watching television while knitting is definitely my way to knit too although sometimes, if a show is too exciting, it's the cause of having to redo several rows!

Downton Abbey is one of my favourite programmes to watch while knitting. Can't wait for this year's Christmas episode! But since this season has ended here, various other programmes and films have to accompany my knitting.

TamaraM wrote
on Dec 8, 2013 2:07 AM

I'm happy to finally hear what happened to Eunny.  I thought it very odd that not a word was said about where she had gone or any notes of appreciation for her years of service and wonderful stewardship of Interweave Knits.  I have a subscription to Knits, so I know it wasn't there.  Just suddenly there was a new kid on the block, and very short shrift given to Eunny.  Glad to know she's on Craftsy--I'll go look for her there.

Judy Olson wrote
on Dec 7, 2013 4:14 PM

SO excited to have Vicki Howell on your show. Can't wait to see the show! Thanks.

diane petals wrote
on Dec 7, 2013 1:43 PM

I adore Eunny but appreciate the new face.  I am hoping i will be able to get this in my area because for the last six months, I have not been able to view it,

diane petals wrote
on Dec 7, 2013 1:43 PM

SusanS@231 wrote
on Dec 7, 2013 10:06 AM

I appreciate Eunny's vast knitting knowledge and am glad to hear she will be part of Craftsy.  I'm not familiar with Vickie.  I will watch a few programs & see if I will continue to have my VCR set to record.  If your show will now be geared toward "novice knitters" as one poster mentioned, I'll stop watching.

knitandstuff wrote
on Dec 7, 2013 9:10 AM

Although I enjoyed Eunny, I always wished for better camera angles on this show.  It was SO frustrating!  It seemed that the camera would either be too far away from the work, there would be hands and fingers in the way, or that the cameraman preferred to focus on faces.  Come on, we're knitters!  We want to see the work and we want to see the work being knitted.  The camera angles on Knitty Gritty made it MUCH easier to see what was going on.  Here's hoping Vickie can get them to fix the camera angles!

on Dec 6, 2013 9:40 PM

Eunny is just the best, isn't she? She's at Craftsy now, so you can take knitting classes from her. Just go to Craftsy.com.

Luann24 wrote
on Dec 6, 2013 7:59 PM

Baseball!

KathyK@70 wrote
on Dec 6, 2013 7:55 PM

Welcome back Vickie---I loved KnittyGritty! I used to get up an hour early to see it on our local PBS before going to work! I thought she was great at getting the project in the right camera angle (with big needles and big yarn) so you could really see what was happening. No extra fingers or sideways camera angles to block your view! Knitting Daily is good, but with Vickie back, I think it will be the BEST!

CarolS@10 wrote
on Dec 6, 2013 7:34 PM

I sure wish I could find it on TV. Live in Minnesota I get pbs channels from Mpls/St Paul, live near Mankato Mn.

Charlotte25 wrote
on Dec 6, 2013 7:30 PM

I watch PBS -- love Doc Martin, Midwife, New Tricks, Last of the Summer Wine, As Time Goes By, and so many more.  Note:  I do like Vickie Howells but I would also like to know what Eunny Jang is doing now?   I don't think I ever expressed my deep admiration and appreciation for all she has shared with us over the last 11 seasons.  Thanks, Charlotte

Joan Brown wrote
on Dec 6, 2013 7:25 PM

I love watching The Good Wife!

HoppinJ12 wrote
on Dec 6, 2013 6:54 PM

I really love Sunny, Kristen, Clara and the rest of the regulars. I will miss them tremendously. But I look forwards to all the new things the new group will bring. Good luck to  both the old and the new group.

Quickie49 wrote
on Dec 6, 2013 6:44 PM

I've watched Downton Abbey so many times, that I can just listen and knit. This method works with any sitcom also. There's football, baseball. Can't do it with soccer, hockey, Olympics, though. Can't have everything :-)

on Dec 6, 2013 6:12 PM

Well, I for one, will miss Eunny Jang.  She was so well informed.  Vickie's show was directed to a novice knitter audience so I lost interest.  Knitting guitar shoulder straps, endless little items, wore thin , so I hope that is NOT the way Knitting Daily is going to go.  However I am looking forward to the new season, and sincerely hope all is a success.

on Dec 6, 2013 6:12 PM

DavidaK wrote
on Dec 6, 2013 6:01 PM

Eek!  I love Vicki Howell and look forward to seeing her, but I love Eunny too and will miss her very much.  Can I watch for Eunny doing something else?   She is so intelligent and gracious!

I also hope Clara is still going to be on the show.

Thanks, Kathleen.

sfgirlnow@gmail.com

NancyF wrote
on Dec 6, 2013 5:40 PM

are you sure that this will be a pbs show? it seems to be on the DIY netwoork, owned by Scripps. it would be nice to have it on the pbs lineup,. then we might be able to get it and increase the number of watchers without their having to spend extra to get expanded cable service. please list the stations it will be aired on if indeed it's a pbs show. we've been told this before, but the pbs network doesn't include it.