Do the Dewdrop (cast-on, that is!)

Mar 10, 2014

Lace Stockings by Faina Goberstein
Sometimes a pattern is so special, it just begs to be knit. Faina Goberstein's Lace Stockings is one of those patterns. The socks are just gorgeous, from tip to toe. They're knitted from the top down, with a unique cast-on and a small geometric lace cuff that includes a strand of elastic thread to keep the stockings in place.

The Lace Stockings are knit from Bijou Basin's super-luxurious sock yarn, Tibetan Dream. It's a yak down-nylon blend that's softer than cashmere. Yes, it's a splurge, but I've felt it, and I promise you'll fall in love with it as much as I did!

This special yarn is not only incredibly soft, but it's also durable, which you definitely need in a sock yarn. The yak content makes Tibetan Dream warmer than wool; a bonus for these chilly winters we're having. One more thing about this yarn that makes it distinctive is that it's hypoallergenic—perfect for those of you who are allergic to wool!

Faina's Lace Stockings are the perfect pattern to pair with Tibetan Dream. The special details in these socks start from the moment they're cast on. Faina uses the dewdrop cast-on, which produces a pretty detail from the get-go. I've used the dewdrop cast-on, and it's easy and fun, and the result is so pretty. Here's how you do it:

The Dewdrop Cast-On

Closeup of the dewdrop cast-on
This cast-on, a variation of the long-tail method, groups stitches in pairs of two on the needles (be sure and work each stitch individually on the next row) The result is a fancy picot-type edge.

Here's how you work the dewdrop cast-on:

Leave a long tail, about 2 inches for each stitch to be cast on. Fold the tail into fourths and place the needle into the fold closest to the end of the tail that is connected to the ball (Figure 1).

Position the yarn so that the quadrupled part (tail) is over your left thumb and the single strand coming from the ball is under your left index finger, as for the long-tail method (Figure 2). Hold the tip of the short tail against the needle with your right index finger to keep it from slipping.

*Bring the needle under the first group on your thumb, around the top of the first strand on your index finger, then back through the loop on your thumb, just as for the long-tail method (Figure 3).

Kathleen's knitted phone
case, with the dewdrop
cast-on
at the top

Slip the yarn off your thumb and rewrap it in the opposite direction, then insert the needle under the four strands from the inside of the thumb loop, around the single strand of yarn on your finger, and then back under the same four strands on your thumb to cast on another stitch (Figure 4).

Repeat from * for the desired number of stitches.

—From The Art of Seamless Knitting, by Faina Goberstein

My effort working the dewdrop cast-on is at left. I worked it at the top of my phone case, just to add that special touch.

Faina's socks are so stunningly beautiful, we thought we'd host a knit-along with Faina! You'll be able to ask her questions as she guides you through knitting your very own pair of Lace Stockings. Register today—the knit-along starts on March 31.

Cheers,

P.S. What's your favorite luxury yarn? Share it with us in the comments!

Comments

Cag7001 wrote
on Nov 18, 2014 11:36 PM

Wish I had read this comment section before I signed up for the class.  I could not even download the pattern.  Instruction for navigating the website kept mentioning accessing various areas of the tutorial via a navigational bar at the top of the screen but there was no navigational bar.  Tried the help number and after holding awhile was told the voice mail box was full and to call back later.  Sent an email but won't get a response for a couple days.  Spent 3 frustrating hours trying to access the pattern, lessons etc. and never was able to go thru the course.  Could not get past the beginning welcome pages explaining how to navigate the site and a two confusing how-to videos.   I will definitely be requesting a refund on this "class" and will be very hesitant to register for another.

woolyqueen wrote
on Mar 31, 2014 1:28 PM

Lesson Learned:  Never purchase a course via Knitting Daily, Interweave, Craft U, or BlackBoard.

I ordered the Learn to Knit a seamless lace stocking, the book, and the yarn, with the promise of instruction by Faina Goberstein. I paid an additional registration of $20+...yes, over $100.

Today I logged in ready to go and found that I paid for a written syllabus, direction to go to the book for instructions, and an email and phone number from Craft U that was not functional.  I contacted Knitting Daily via Interweave by phone and requested a refund.  I was promised an email regarding the 'progress' of my request and that my comments would be passed along.  Frankly, the google videos on dew drop cast on by Faina were much more useful.

Truly Disappointing!!!!

Intocats wrote
on Mar 22, 2014 11:15 AM

Suecrissman, I hesitated ordering for the same reason. $100 for a pair of socks! It seemed like such a crazy splurge. But when I considered that 1) the book (Art of Seamless Knitting) is included, 2) I'd be learning some great new skills, 3) I've always wanted to knit with yak fiber, 4) I'm an avid sock knitter and these would be the ubersocks of my lifetime! I went ahead and ordered. Can't wait for Faina's knit along to start on March 31!

Intocats wrote
on Mar 22, 2014 11:15 AM

Intocats wrote
on Mar 22, 2014 11:15 AM

emmer97006 wrote
on Mar 15, 2014 2:58 PM

i wonder if this yak down behaves like quiviut...which is musk ox undercoat, extremely warm and soft. when mill spun, as opposed to hand spun, it needs to be gently washed to bring ud the halo. after completing my garment and doing the wash, it was wonderfully fluffy, with a nice halo. unfortunately, it was also like alpaca--no spring--and it "grew". i ended up having to unknit it and re-prepare it. guess i will re-do with a smaller size kneedle to allow for that. :-(

emmer

on Mar 14, 2014 5:51 PM

"So in the part of the directions that go with figure 3, what's the missing word?"

It's "thumb"! Sorry about that.

Stephanie D wrote
on Mar 10, 2014 2:13 PM

Here is a video tutorial right from Faina on how to do the cast-on.

videotutorialsfkm.blogspot.com/.../this-is-my-very-first-attempt-to-make.html

katiebug52 wrote
on Mar 10, 2014 12:24 PM

my favorite splurge is qiviut, it's from the artic musk ox. I made a smoke ring from it. So soft and warm

Momtoaaandm wrote
on Mar 10, 2014 11:06 AM

Favourite luxury yarn - Qiviut! Its so incredibly soft!

suecrissman wrote
on Mar 10, 2014 10:31 AM

Luxury yarn fav?  Hard to beat cashmere!  I do have a comment about these socks.  First off...I am not a sock knitter - tried it - don't like it.  BUT, when I saw these, I though...hmmmm, should I give it a go again?  I could splurge...these are amazingly beautiful.  Then, I checked out the cost...$99!!  That is so over my budget for a pair of socks that I can't even begin to tell you how disturbing that is.  I understand the thrill of having made something very special that was a guilty pleasure but, unless the lottery comes through, these will have to remain on my "not in this lifetime" list.

Gstyle wrote
on Mar 10, 2014 9:17 AM

I found the directions very difficult to follow at step 3. Is there a word or two missing?  "...  Then back through the loop on your ???"  Thumb?  And how do you slip the loop off with all of the wraps on the thumb?  I'm very confused. I looked for a video tutorial but Faina's website tutorial is inactive. This is so pretty. Please help!!

on Mar 10, 2014 9:03 AM

on Mar 10, 2014 9:03 AM

on Mar 10, 2014 9:03 AM

on Mar 10, 2014 9:03 AM

on Mar 10, 2014 9:03 AM

on Mar 10, 2014 9:03 AM

on Mar 10, 2014 9:03 AM

on Mar 10, 2014 9:02 AM

Tine Friis wrote
on Mar 10, 2014 7:57 AM

My favorite luxery yarn is CASHMERE!

It's so georgeos to knit with, hands don't sweat, it's light and airy, and the fabric is warm and cozy.

I wish I could afford to knit everything in cashmere!

Kind regards,