Spring Into Summer

May 5, 2014

Kayleen Pullover Cassie Castillo
Summer is just around the corner. I suppose that means I have to finish my spring cleaning! We've been working on sprucing up our house, room by room. I organized my knitting stuff first, of course. We've made quite a dent, but nothing like what's going on at Interweave headquarters!

Interweave Knits Editor Lisa Shroyer is here to tell you about that, and to introduce the summer 2014 issue of Knits (which is fantastic!).

Spring Cleaning at Interweave

Something's been happening at Interweave headquarters in Loveland, Colorado. The sweaters are rising.

This year, the company is moving its offices. The staff and materials of Interweave Knits, along with that of other magazines, our book division, and the many departments that keep a thriving media company working, are leaving the long-loved bank building at the corner of 4th and Cleveland streets in Loveland and going north, to the college town of Fort Collins. I've worked at Interweave for nine years, and I know firsthand that our editorial offices are stash-full of crazy amounts of yarny stuff. Actual yarn, tools, books, and, of course, years-of-magazines' worth of sweaters, hats, socks, afghans, and more.

Crustacean Shawl Amy Keefer
The samples from past issues go into neatly organized, bug-proof bins in the cavernous basement below the historic Loveland building. Our new building doesn't have this kind of storage space. So the sweaters must rise from the dark and find new lives.

On my recent trip to the office (I work from home), I helped Knitscene editor Amy Palmer bring up some of the bins and start going through them. So many old friends came to light! Cabled pullovers from issues in the mid-2000s when Pam Allen was editor, delightful kids' knits from past Holiday issues, even a hot-pink version of the famed Central Park Hoodie.

Driftwood Tee
by Mercedes Tarasovich-Clark

It's been nine years since I started with the company, and for many of those years I worked closely editing and managing the patterns, then assigning the projects myself when I became editor of Knitscene, and now of Knits. So I remembered and felt connected to each of these projects as they came, slinky and alpaca-laden, nubbly and tweedy, lacey and silky, out of the bins, into and across my lap.

I've watched readers tackle the patterns, post their photos to Ravelry, blog about them, and send us letters of adoration and critique—that chart could have been organized better! Here, the original pieces from the designers' needles have been hibernating in the basement for years. Sitting there with them I felt like I held a retrospective of my life since I started working at Interweave, as well as a record of the knitting world and its trends and characters over that time.

So what happens now? We have partnered with Denver LYS Fancy Tiger Crafts and are selling the samples off over a weekend, with the proceeds to go to the Helping Hands Needle Arts Mentoring Program, which endeavors to bring our beloved craft to the next generation. The sweaters will find new homes, many of them with knitters who recognize the value in these handknits. And the cash will assist kids in learning to knit and getting access to resources—in a way, giving the samples an even longer life.

In the future, all samples will be returned to the designers, which is how many publishers in the knitting space have been working all along.

It's a new office, a new process, and we also have a new graphic designer, starting this issue, and I'm excited about what lies ahead. I hope you enjoy this issue as it, too, enters the history of the magazine.

Lobelia Socks by Betty Salpekar

P.S. Make Interweave Knits part of your knitting history, too; subscribe now! What's your favorite pattern shown here? For me, it's the Kayleen Pullover; I love it. Leave a comment and share your favorite summer knit!

_______________________________________________________________________________

Get free sweater knitting patterns from Knitting Daily!

Download Cardigan, Pullover and Sweater Patterns: 7 Free Sweater Knitting Patterns, a free eBook!

When it comes to knitting patterns, sweaters are one of our favorites. From a a unique pullover, to a twisted v-neck and many other chic designs, this eBook has a little something for every personality.

Knitting a sweater can be the peak for many who are learning the art of knitting. Now you can own seven sweater knitting patterns with a simple click, at no cost to you! Download all six designs, grab your yarn and needles, and start knitting sweater patterns today!

Comments

on May 15, 2014 7:24 PM

The tee is only available in the magazine at this time. In six months to a year, we'll have it available as a single pattern download.

GemsByGranny wrote
on May 10, 2014 10:56 PM

Is it possible to get the Driftwood Tee pattern without subscribing to the magazine? I  only want the pattern. I do not want a full magazine - it's just me.

I'm in Australia.

Crystal Austin

on May 9, 2014 3:58 PM

The sale already took place. I'm so sorry, I should have let you know the dates.

But if you're going to Interweave Knitting Lab in New Hampshire, you'll be able to bid on some of the items in a silent auction.

Kathleen

on May 9, 2014 12:45 PM

Hello All,

These three patterns are available in Interweave Knits Summer 2014. The patterns I show in the newsletters are always available in the product I'm talking about. If I show a pattern that's available elsewhere, I note the location of the pattern.

Knit on,

Kathleen

on May 6, 2014 8:46 PM

I just received my copy of Interweave Knits Summer 2014. All three items featured above are in this issue. Interweave allows you to either subscribe or purchase one magazine. It is a little hard to get to the right place on their website, but it can be done.  I can't remember how I did it, but I do remember I couldn't order one issue at the same place as I subscribed for a year. Good luck.

on May 5, 2014 10:11 PM

The patterns for borth sweaters, pleeeeeease!

on May 5, 2014 10:00 PM

I also really like the Crustacean Shawl and I would love to get the pattern. Where can I find it.

SusanB@12 wrote
on May 5, 2014 9:57 PM

When will the sale be at Fancy Tiger Crafts? They don't say on their website, and I would love to go.

on May 5, 2014 9:12 PM

I, also, like the bright and fun Lobelia socks.  Again, where can I get the patterns?

on May 5, 2014 9:05 PM

I like the Crustacean Shawl, and I particularly like the colors in it.  Where can I get the pattern?

paulec1 wrote
on May 5, 2014 6:47 PM

I love the Zepherine cardigan.

DMB Designs wrote
on May 5, 2014 6:16 PM

I really want that Kayleen Pullover pattern....please!!! Where can I find it?

on May 5, 2014 5:20 PM

I really like the Crustacean Shawl and the Kayleen Sweater. I, also, would like to know how to get a copy of those patterns. Thanks, Nancy.

linnea@2 wrote
on May 5, 2014 5:06 PM

My favourite is the Kayleen sweater also. I've subscribed to knits for a long time and also wondered where I find the pattern.

HappyCathy wrote
on May 5, 2014 3:03 PM

Hi -

My favorite is the Kayleen Pullover too.  Which issue is it in?  If I subscribe now, will that pattern be in my first issue?

Thanks, Cathy

on May 5, 2014 2:20 PM

I love the Kayleen pullover too. Is the pattern for this still available?

Elizabeth S wrote
on May 5, 2014 1:32 PM

I ordered an online magazine several weeks ago. I have not received it and cannot find any other way to contact you other than here.

I wrote Interweave in Colorado but have heard nothing. Now I cannot find the magazine I ordered in your choices.

How to I contact Interweave? Or how do I get my magazine?

Thanks

bethsullivan10@hotmail.com

gumbiecat wrote
on May 5, 2014 9:15 AM

I would choose the Kayleen Pullover AND the jazzy Lobelia Socks.  Looking forward to receiving the next issue of Interweave Knits!  Judy in SE Wis

on May 5, 2014 7:35 AM

I would like to know how to but some of the samples. I am interested in the Kayleen Pullover and the Crustation Shawl. Please let me know if this is possible. My size for the pullover is medium, if that is the size of the sample.

Patricia Conner

tc15832@bellsouth.net

caroltyoung wrote
on May 5, 2014 7:21 AM

Could you give more information on the weekend selling of old samples by Fancy Tiger Crafts? Went on their site and can't find a mention!