Get inspired with Knitting Daily TV!

Jul 14, 2014

I'm so excited that the new series of Knitting Daily TV with Vickie Howell is here. It's brand new, and I had a chance to see the first episode—wonderful! Here's Karin Strom, editorial director of the show, to introduce the season.

Vickie Howell on the set of Knitting Daily TV with Vickie Howell

Knitting Daily TV with Vickie Howell Is Back!

Shooting (the now Telly-award-winning show—yay!) Knitting Daily TV with Vickie Howell is a lot of fun! We "film" it (everything is digital now, so there is no actual film—I guess that dates me) in a TV studio in Ohio.

This series was shot during a wintery week in February, and every morning we woke up to a coating of fresh snow outside the hotel. Once we got to the studio, though, we completely forgot about the weather. So many interesting guests were in and out of the green room. It was great to get to know some of my favorite designers better—Gwen Bortner, Myra Wood, weaver Stephanie Flynn Sokolov; and visit with old friends—Lily Chin, Cathy Carron, Tanis Gray.

Each episode has a theme, and Vickie visits with guests who are known for the technique or trend featured in that day's theme. For example, the Literary Knits episode features guests whose designs are inspired by books or literary characters. Joanna Johnson, author of Green Gables Knits, talks about the influence Anne of Green Gables has had on her life, and her knitting. And Annie Modesitt demonstrates a pattern from the magazine Jane Austin Knits.

One of my favorite episodes from this new season is Nature-Inspired Knits.

Designer Anne Hanson talks about natural wool and its rich palette, discusses single breed yarns, stitches that bring out the best of yarn's natural texture, and features a super cute Slouch Hat pattern so viewers can practice at home. Host Vickie Howell visits the UK virtually via Google hangouts to chat with Mollie Makes editor Lara Watson about the crafty trend of woodland creatures. Next, designer Heather Zoppetti shows how natural motifs like leaves can be captured in lace, and demonstrates a vine-inspired stitch pattern featured in the popular and beautiful Clematis Tunic, from Interweave Knits.

Vickie and guest Anne Hanson discuss Anne's pattern, the Slouch Potato Hat, on episode 1301.

In other episodes, Vickie talks masculine fashion with talented menswear designer Josh Bennett, and feminine embellishments with Fiber Factor winner Lauren Riker; Knitscene editor Amy Palmer teaches viewers how to double-knit; dye-expert Laura Bryant explains how to work with color repeats when working with space-dyed yarns.

Vickie Howell and "Tools of The Trade" segment host Tanis Gray, checking out some candid shots between takes
Throughout this upcoming season, Vickie works with eighteen different in-studio guests on knitting and crochet techniques, as traditional as Fair Isle and as trendy as giant lace.

She also takes viewers into the studios of knitting and crochet experts from all over the world, including India (Priya Shashank of Knitters' Pride needle company), Amsterdam (brioche stitch expert Nancy Marchant), and the UK (sock designer Rachel Coopey). Of course, as always, the season will also be filled with loads of beautiful patterns, expert tutorials, quick tips and tricks, gorgeous yarns, and cool tools to knit and crochet with.

Make sure to check out knittingdailytv.com, follow @KnittingDaily on Twitter, and Knitting Daily on Pinterest for easy access to projects from the show. Enjoy!

—Karin Strom, Editorial Director, Yarn Group

Check your local PBS station's schedule to see when Knitting Daily TV is shown in your area, or, if you're like me and you can't wait, get the complete season right now (DVDs or download).

Then hunker down in your most comfortable chair, grab your knitting, and binge-watch the entire season!

Cheers,

Comments

Rosismom wrote
on Aug 4, 2014 11:17 AM

Where can I find this program?  I assume it is on a cable channel, but which one?

take5 wrote
on Jul 23, 2014 11:09 AM

I've never before written in with such hard critiques, but I have to agree with the suggestions previously posted. The patterns are hard to find on the website. The online chat is irritating. More about knitting, less shoving the project examples in and out of the camera focus in a way that suggests great impatience. As well as displaying her perky personality, this host seems to impart a huge dose of impatience in every episode, if not in every segment of the episodes. The new format lacks "grace," sophistication, and substance. I hope things get better because while there is a desire to see current knitting trends, this delivery isn't up to your previous standards.

on Jul 22, 2014 9:32 AM

I was so hopeful the critiques from Season 1200 would be used to make Season 1300 better. Alas, it's still disappointingly pitiful. I do enjoy the guest speakers who know their stuff and share it but there is so little of that compared to the old show. Vicki Howell is perky but doesn't seem to have a clue about knitting. She doesn't do anything except talk and is not very interesting at that. And still you are doing the "Wasted Space" segment, which is what I call your online chat. It's so awkward, uninteresting, uninformative, unprofessional. I go refill my teacup. Then there is Tanis Grey. She seems like a lovely woman but what she does is more wasted space. She shows a bunch of things, doesn't tell us how it's made, where it's made, how to find it. No labels. Another waste of space. Each week I try to look for the positive but am continually disappointed. Even the back drop is disappointing. Where are all the lovely sweaters they were displayed before? These always changed and ended up highlighted on one of the shows which was even more fun.

I've tried to link to the series to track down current patterns and see what's coming up. There is no link yet.

I'm guessing you have a contract with Vicki Howell so we'll be stuck with her for a few seasons. Please, when it's up, bring back Euny or someone else that knows what they are talking about!

Thank you and good luck!

Olde English wrote
on Jul 20, 2014 1:01 AM

Hello!

I feel I really need to weigh in with my thoughts.  I too miss the way the show used to be formatted.  I do miss Eunny, as well as the very informative segments, ie: all the yarn details broken down.  As a spinner that was fantastic.  Crocheting segments as well as knitting tips were so great. Because of the very detailed way Eunny showed how to use dpn's I got mine back out and tried again and have been using them ever since to create baby hats for the hospital. I also miss the yarn experts when they talked about design, colors, textures, etc. The segments of either KAL, or CAL are also missed. There I feel better. :)

Kreinfurt wrote
on Jul 19, 2014 9:25 PM

Sorry, but the old show with Eunny Jang was much more enjoyable. I especially find the video visits with remote knitters are not very informative.

tpatrias wrote
on Jul 19, 2014 11:40 AM

So sorry, but not loving it.  Love Vicki, but do not like the new format, especially space to space.  Would also love to know the names if products in tools of the trade.  Sorry, but old show was so much better.  So disappointed.

4pbrown wrote
on Jul 19, 2014 8:23 AM

I enjoy watching the shows, but I struggle with your website to find the patterns and write ups from Tanis Gray. I'm interested in what is shared but I find I have to Google keywords to find what was shared (i.e. from the Nature Inspired Knits - bare naked wool, the bone knitting needles, the hat pattern, etc.). I have to take notes during the show...

rhonda ike wrote
on Jul 19, 2014 7:15 AM

I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!!!!!! wish it was on ALL week!  I think Vickie Howell does a great job explaining the process of the projects, and I feel awful that I have to wait for Friday to role around in order to see the show. I am 63 and retired( so money is tight). So.....I am forced to wait for the show........what a treat!

on Jul 18, 2014 9:49 AM

Where can I get the pattern for the shawl worn in the tools of the trade segment of show 1301? It is lovely.