My Favorite Shawl

Jul 16, 2014

The Ojo de Dios shawl kit is now available in lovely shades of blue, green, and purple!

I reserve the right to change my mind, but at this point, the Ojo de Dios knit shawl is my favorite. I made it in January, and it was a really fun knit. People say "fun knit" all the time, and I think it means different things to different people.

I found really enjoyed knitting the Ojo Shawl because of the three distinct parts: the triangle border, the eyelet divider section, and the short-row garter stitch top. Because it was so pleasant to knit the triangles—they were quick and colorful—I just wanted to keep on knitting! And I did. Here's a look at my triangles, and my finished shawl being blocked:
Kathleen's triangle section of the Ojo de Dios shawl
The finished project, being blocked

The photo on the bottom is distorted a bit because it's one of those iPhone panoramic shots, of which I haven't mastered. The left side is what the shawl really looks like.

I pinned out the triangles pretty aggressively, and they came out well. Lots of people added an applied I-cord edging or a single crochet edging to the triangle's bottom border—to make the triangles lie absolutely flat—but I was happy with how mine blocked out.

If you want to add a border, a good one is reverse single-crochet. I've always called this the crab stitch, but I've heard it called shrimp stitch, too. It's a nice, slightly decorative stitch that goes will with the eyelet row in the shawl, I think.

Our kit in the sunset colorway sold out, and we had lots of requests for kits in different colors. We've got a new Ojo de Dios kit in blue! So pretty. The kit comes with 6 balls of Plymouth Yarn Company's Gina in #0016, a new colorway, plus a PDF of the pattern.

Get your Ojo de Dios kit now and start knitting up my favorite shawl!

Cheers,

P.S. Have you knit the Ojo de Dios shawl? Leave a comment and share any tips you might have for your fellow knitters.

Featured Product

Ojo de Dios Shawl Kit in Jewel Tones

Availability: Out Of Stock
Was: $42.93
Sale: $39.99

Kit

We are revisiting the Ojo de Dios knitted Shawl, but this time in jewel tones! In this kit you get the Interweave Knits Winter 2013 print edition, the PDF of the updated pattern showing the new colorway and 6 balls of the Plymouth Yarn Gina in colorway!

Comments

sylvie5 wrote
on Aug 25, 2014 6:42 AM

I love this shawl & really want to knit it using my own spun yarn...please can someone let me know how to get the pattern...thanks      sylvestrus@hotmail.com

rita-j wrote
on Jul 30, 2014 12:37 AM

I knitted this shawl using leftovers from a 'doctor who scarf' (halloween, for my kids). Not as pretty as the blue/purple above, but still cool!  Lots of fun kitting the triangles!

saitkin wrote
on Jul 20, 2014 10:09 AM

Love my Shawl, fun to knit, to look at and love the Southwest colors. After receiving my copy of "Interweave Knit" I went right to the knit store and got my yarn.

We live in NC now but lived in AZ for 25 years! Reminds me of the beautiful Southwest.

Annb48 wrote
on Jul 20, 2014 5:38 AM

When I saw the picture in Interweave Knits, it didn't jump out at me, but I saw one in our local shop and loved it.  I'm on my second one now.  First was a gift for my niece.  I love it in her blues and purples and may have to make a 3rd.  It's a great travel project and isn't bad for even hot summer days when you're working on the triangles.

Annb48 wrote
on Jul 20, 2014 5:38 AM

on Jul 19, 2014 2:58 PM

I found the pattern in Winter 2014.  It has the same picture on the cover, and I checked the title page to be sure.

coral poser wrote
on Jul 18, 2014 1:01 AM

Hey! I love the colours in this shawl and the pattern too. I tried to order it this morning but alas! it did not go through. All gone )-;   So will you be putting more kits together?

Please do!

coral poser wrote
on Jul 18, 2014 1:01 AM

Please do!

colourbug wrote
on Jul 18, 2014 1:01 AM

Can we buy just the pattern on it's own, please?

colourbug

coral poser wrote
on Jul 18, 2014 12:58 AM

Hi! I tried to order an Ojo de Dios kit this morning as well...been curious about this design...and the colours just really struck me...but alas! my order did not go through! Could you let us know when there are more kits available? That would be fun.

on Jul 17, 2014 3:28 PM

TheresaH: It's exactly the same pattern, just with a different photo.

on Jul 17, 2014 2:37 PM

Wow! This is such a popular shawl—the kit is sold out again. But, you can get the yarn and knit it without the kit. It's Gina from Plymouth, and it's $6-$7 per ball, depending on where you get it. You need 6 balls. The pattern is in the winter 2013 issue of Interweave Knits.

And, as you can see from the other commenters, pretty much any self-striping yarn works for this, you might even have something in your stash!

So go forth and knit this shawl.

CarolS@31 wrote
on Jul 17, 2014 1:06 PM

I never really liked shawls until I saw the Ojo de Dios pattern, love, love this one and knitted it up last month while staying in Santa Fe, NM.

I chose the #012 color way and finished off the bottom edge with a row of fillet stitch to help help extend/flatten out the triangles and compliment the other imbedded fillet stitch row.

LizD@8 wrote
on Jul 17, 2014 10:39 AM

Will you be getting more of the kits in?  I tried to order one and it looks like you are out.

dorothymarie wrote
on Jul 16, 2014 7:21 PM

I knit this twice! I loved doing it....once in the sunset colors and again in a blue-purple-green combo.  I found that knitting the triangles separately and then sewing them together was much easier than trying to neatly pick up stitches!!

Newell.penny@gmail.com

whyburn123 wrote
on Jul 16, 2014 6:26 PM

Would love to get this kit, but you do not ship to Australia.  Sad.

Heather

on Jul 16, 2014 4:58 PM

I made this shawl and Kathleen is so right:  Make one triangle and you can't stop!  I used Universal Yarns Classic Shades and can't wait to wear mine.  It's still a bit warm here in the SW desert but I know I'll wear it often this winter, especially to the theater where you never know how warm or cold the hall will be.

Thanks for sharing, Kathleen, and encouraging others to try this easy shawl.

BIV58 wrote
on Jul 16, 2014 4:01 PM

It is my favorite, also. The one I knitted was donated to a scholarship fundraiser and brought $160. Irecently purchased some Noro Kiara and plann to start another in the fall. I prefer those beautiful New Mexico colors for this one.

wendygoerl wrote
on Jul 16, 2014 2:30 PM

I've been mildly interested in this since you first started talking about it (sadly, I'm unemployed and don't even have money for some basics; patterns are pretty far down on the list), but I didn't realize ho shallow it was until I saw the blocking photo.  I've only made near-right-angle triangle shawls. How well does a shawl like that ride?

Mollie_jo wrote
on Jul 16, 2014 1:38 PM

I missed out on the first kits and I would really like to see the original color kit come back too...the blue is pretty but........I live in the Southwest......I would like the southwestern look.

alm4123 wrote
on Jul 16, 2014 10:41 AM

I have made two of them and both were made with Noro; one Silk Garden and one Taiyo... I love them both and I LOVE making this pattern it really is FUN and interesting to make.  I make it and then think I will give it away but just can't part with it!

KathyM@05 wrote
on Jul 16, 2014 10:21 AM

I just finished this shawl and it was originally made for a good friend. I like it so much, I'm keeping it for myself to wear on our Alaska cruise in September. I'll make another one for her fore Christmas.

KathyM@05 wrote
on Jul 16, 2014 10:21 AM

on Jul 16, 2014 10:15 AM

I just finished knitting my third shawl with Gina wool. (I just love that brand).  For my third shawl I decide to make it a little longer, which I don't regret. I made two extra triangles, and when I knitted the short rows, I just added the 38 sts to my first row and did the same amount of short rows. It took 8 balls of yarn instead of 6.

I am pretty happy that I did that. From now on this my new favorite fun knit to do.

I don't need to look at the pattern anymore, I have memorized the pattern.

kirbyj wrote
on Jul 16, 2014 7:56 AM

I made mine last November, when the pattern came out.  Love, love, love it!!!  Have now helped 3 other friends with theirs, and we will be doing it as a,KAL in Jan. With our knitting group of over 200 members....I may have to do another!!!!

Judi

TheresaH wrote
on Jul 16, 2014 7:54 AM

Hello... I get several of your mags as a subscription (for years) ;). I do have that issue and would like to know how can I get the updated PDF for the jewel tone version? Thanks

on Jul 16, 2014 7:40 AM

I've almost completed mine, am doing last rows of the clamshell. It is beautiful and fun. I like the nonfinished edge of the triangles personally. Your tips are good. I'd add that with five balls of yarn to select for your first ball, think about which color you want the first triangle to look like- sort of orangy or sort of bluey/purple...as it has a lot to do with the overall look. I learned wrapping for the first time with this project and it worked well.