Captivating Knitting

Aug 6, 2014

The Nereid Shawl
Knit lace is captivating. I've always been attracted to lace, especially lace edgings for pillowcases and hankies and the like.

Perhaps the most epic lace knitting projects are shawls. The beauty of lace translates wonderfully; the ethereal quality of the openwork lends itself to the drape that's necessary in a really good shawl.

The Nereid Shawl, from New Vintage Lace by Andrea Jurgrau, is a lovely example of lace knitting interpreted into a shawl.

Andrea's Nereid Shawl was inspired by the epitome of lace objects, a doily that she saw in an out-of-print Burda publication from the 50s.

The Neried is made up of a combination of textures with a mesh fill. There are blossom, fruit, and leaf patterns in the shawl, plus a fine, loopy crocheted edging.

This shawl is the perfect light wrap for warm weather; it's a small shawl that you can throw around your shoulders to stave off the chill of evening.The beauty of the shawl is a great conversation piece, too. People will be stunned at the beauty a knitter can create.

Getting compliments on our work isn't why most of us knit, but it's always a pleasure to have your hard work recognized, right?

Three color options of Manos del Uruguay Lace, a 70% alpaca, 25% silk, 5% cashmere blend. From top, Alvina Aqua, Baku, or Rosetta Pink.
I think this shawl would also be a wonderful wedding gift for a summer bride. Knit in white, winter white, or cream, it would be a lovely heirloom.

We think the Nereid Shawl is such a great project, we've kitted it up for you. Each kit contains a copy of New Vintage Lace and one skein of Manos del Uruguay Lace yarn in your choice of Alvina Aqua, Baku, or Rosetta Pink. This shawl takes just one skein (although that skein is 439 yards!).

Get your Nereid Shawl Kit now, while they're still available; these kits sell out fast!

Cheers,

P.S. When do you wear lace shawls? I've worn them to weddings, dinners al fresco, and even to basketball games. Leave a comment and let us know where you last wore a shawl you knit!

Comments

on Aug 6, 2014 4:42 PM

What size needles for this lace shawl? This looks beautiful... And very delicate.

Jean J.

Trish Moore wrote
on Aug 6, 2014 3:24 PM

I have made myself a beautiful Harini shawl shaped in a triangle.  It was a lot of work for my first knitted shawl but I don't look back at the time spent ripping out stitches.  My shawl is so rewarding to me and I still can not believe I actually made this.  I am working on another pattern already.  I love anything lacy and encourage others to enjoy their handiwork.  I wear it as a shawl over the shoulders and also as an inverted scarf with the point to the front. My next adventure will be made from my own hand spun yarn.  Enjoy!

Mollyfmorris wrote
on Aug 6, 2014 12:57 PM

Many of the kits seem to use a yarn containing mohair or alpaca. It would be nice to offer a less allergenic alternative!

ddipsy wrote
on Aug 6, 2014 12:39 PM

The last time I wore a shawl was during a day at the local outdoor lake front art show.  I must avoid the sun, and the shawl was perfect for this.  It too kept the chill away.  One more plus is that the shawl kept me from buying everything I liked!  (I had to hold onto the shawl in the breeze.)

CindyR@8 wrote
on Aug 6, 2014 10:15 AM

I always carry a lace shawl when I travel. I got off a plane a few hours ago where the air conditioning was frigid.  The shawl can also be used as a pillow or blanket.

fariesd wrote
on Aug 6, 2014 8:00 AM

I wear shawls at work, and I am not the only one.  The building is kept at a refreshing 68 degrees, so when sitting for hours at the computer, it can get a little cool.  A shawl is the perfect solution--easy on, easy off when needed.