Episode 111: Chase the Chill

Jul 1, 2008
Warm up for cold weather today with Knitting Daily TV as we bundle up in some of the warmest yarns on the market, make a crocheted cardigan, and even dye our own sock yarn. Plus, to warm your hearts, with a great cause.

Getting Started: Deborah Knight and Eunny show off some of the warmest and most cuddly yarns for your next knit or crochet project
Designer Spotlight: Chachula visits with Kim and demonstrates her Maggie Wrap cardigan using crochet charts
How-To: Liz Gipson shows you how to dye your own sock yarn using a dyeing kit from Louet
You Asked It: We all want to pass our needle arts knowledge to the next generation, see how Helping hands and the Girl Scouts have done just that.
Knit Along: Kim and Sela Smith demo step 3 of the Melissa Leapman Coffee House Sweater, the crocheted buttons.

111-1 Chase the Chill, Getting Started

Download information from Yarn Market

Deborah Knight and Eunny discuss warm, wooly, cozy, and comfy yarns to chase the chill away. Download the list of yarns shown on this segment, all available online at www.yarnmarket.com.

Yarnmarket.com
c/o Yarn Market, LLC
12936 Stonecreek Drive, Unit D
Pickerington, OH 43147
(888) 996-9276
(614) 861-7223
Orders@yarnmarket.com

www.yarnmarket.com

Purchase this episode on DVD

111-2 Chase the Chill, Designer Spotlight

pdfDownload Maggie’s Wrap

Robyn Chachula, author of Blueprint Crochet (Interweave, 2008) visits with Kim about how to read crochet charts and demonstrates the chart used to make the Maggie Wrap cardigan. Download Robyn’s pattern, made with Tahki yarn.

The yarn Robyn is using to demonstrate this project is made by Tahki Stacy Charles. Visit www.tahkistacycharles.com for more information.

Tahki Stacy Charles, Inc.
70-30 80th St. Building 36
Ridgewood, NY 11385
(800) 338-YARN
info@tahkicharles.com
www.tahkistacycharles.com

Purchase this episode on DVD!

111-3 Chase the Chill, How-To

Liz demonstrates how to dye sock yarn using Louet’s sock dyeing kit. Dyeing your own yarn makes your socks truly original. Louet’s kits come in various different colorways. Kits are available at fine yarn stores.

Louet North America
3425 Hands Road
Prescott, ON, Canada
K0E 1T0
(613) 925-4502
Info@louet.com
for pattern support, e-mail Lynda@louet.com.
www.louet.com

Purchase this episode on DVD!

111-4 Chase the Chill, You Asked It

Penny Sitler and some girl scouts of America visit Shay to talk about the Helping Hands Foundation, a great way of passing the needle arts on from generation to generation.

The National Needlearts Association (TNNA)
1100-H Brandywine Blvd
Zanesville, OH 43701
(800) 889-8662
TNNA.info@offinger.com
www.tnna.org

Helping Hands Foundation
1100-H Brandywine Blvd
Zanesville, OH 43701
(740) 452-4541
HelpingHands@offinger.com
www.needleartsmentoring.org

Purchase this episode on DVD!

111-5 Chase the Chill, Knit Along

pdfDownload the Coffee House Sweater

Kim and Sela demonstrate the last step of the Coffee House Sweater, the crocheted buttons. Download the Coffee House Sweater made for Fiesta Yarns.

See step 1 of the Coffee House Sweater Sleeve Construction (Segment 107-5)
See step 2 of the Coffee House Sweater, sleeve shaping (Segment 109-5)

Fiesta Yarns
5401 San Diego NE
Albuquerque, NM 87113
(506) 892-5008
CustomerService@fiestayarns.com
www.fiestayarns.com

Purchase this episode on DVD!

Comments

Mona JustB wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:10 AM
God morning. Hope i write the right way. I am from Denmark. But i saw another episode, (Oh so fine) that there now are pictures at all downloads. That is not the fact here. I am missing a picture of the coffee House Sweather. Please :-) Mona
Zaz wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:10 AM
yes i aggree with mona, i am from france. i cannot "wish" to knit something if it has no photo :\ too bad, please put one in the pattern? thank you :) AND, Robyn’s pattern, it ROCKS! i am new to crochet and very visual, so i think i can make this one ;-)
Elaan wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:10 AM
Iv'e been looking for just the right wrap pattern for a long time. I think Maggie's Wrap fits the bill. Thank youl
gracielynn wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:10 AM
the links above for the Steps for the wrap just don't lead anywhere. it keeps going back this page ! thanks
ChristinaT wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:10 AM
Hello Mona and Joy, Your English is very good. Keep practicing. If you want to see the Coffee House sweater you can either use the search box in upper right hand corner or in the episode list go to episode #109, picture #5 (109-5). The Coffee House sweater is on the right-hand side of the picture on the mannequin-the green multi-color sweater. Not my cup of tea, perhaps in another color. Hope that helps! knitterchris in North Carolina
ChristinaT wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:10 AM
Oops, also just noticed the sweater is also pictured for episode 111-5. Slightly better picture, again on the right-hand side on the mannequin. knitterchris
on Jul 1, 2008 1:10 AM
wow!! say your show for the first time--lots of great info- i even called my sister. would like to know what days and times the show is on the sportsmans wife
Carole@4 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:10 AM
I've never thought about crocheting with a chart........so I downloaded the free pattern (Maggie Wrap Top). I was disappointed not to see what the symblom's meant......guess I can't use the pattern without an explanation.
Cora Shaw wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:10 AM
Please check this website, http://www.hassdesign.com/StitchLegend/, it explains all the stitch symbols. Cora
Patty@3 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:10 AM
Thank-you Cora for providing the website with the stitch symbols explanation!
Chelo wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:10 AM
I live Los Angeles (South Gate) please let me know why i can't see the channel 24 let me know if i can see teh show through the web side thank you chelo
Elizabeth H wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:10 AM
I always wanted to make something to wear with motif and the Maggie's Warp fits the bill perfect, can't wait to pick up the yarn and start on this wrap.
RuthA@2 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:10 AM
I raise alpacas and welcome the encouragement shows like this give to knitters - afterall only this way will the demand for yarn increase. I am originally from New Zealand where knitting was a "hand-me-down" skill shared by family and neighbours. I have started up my first such community group here in MI and hope to set up more of them for people to share and hand along these skills. Ruth MI
JoanneB@2 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:10 AM
I was trying to download several of your wonderful patterns from Fiesta Yarns. Am quite disappointed that none of them have a picture of the project. I file these in my knitting binders - and need a picture to know if it's a project i want to attack or not! Any chance in the future? I don't get your TV program in my area. Cupertino, California
Player wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:10 AM
For some e-mail users, by going to the tool bar, chose "view", and then "view this msg as html", may also be a choice for seeing the pictures of projects. It worked for me. CgM
mimseymay wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:10 AM
I tried to get the free patterns for maggies wrap and the ribbon bolero but was unable to as there is no follow up link.
on Jul 1, 2008 1:10 AM
I've tried all day to download Maggie's wrap? I get nowhere. Help please. Muriel
on Jul 1, 2008 1:10 AM
Please add a picture of the project on the download. I am a very visual knitter. Thank you.
DebiC wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:10 AM
Where is Maggie's Wrap?????
JinnyM wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:10 AM
if you go to the picture on this page, 111-2 it says download maggies wrap, this worked for me,i am not very good on pc,hope this helps you,good luck
geri wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:10 AM
I just love Maggie's Wrap and love to crochet but have never worked from a chart so I'm hoping that I'll be able to work it out. Anyone have any helpful hints?
momsebox wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:10 AM
Was very disappointed...could not download Maggie's Wrap tried repeatedly...just emply and no file. If someone would please email ithe PDF pattern to me. I would greatly aprecdiate it ...It looks so perfect for what i have been looking for :_) momsebox@mail.com
geri wrote
NJ, I have emailed PDF to you, ..cheers geri
littlechina wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:10 AM
Hi from Oz can someone send me a Maggies Wrap pdf pattern to me please? I've been looking looKing looking!!.... and I cant find the pattern on this site! ..also there was no link from the newsletter. Cheers Lisa My email: lc@iinet.net.au
geri wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:10 AM
littlechina, have emailed pdf to you...geri (also from oz)
loopy1 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:10 AM
First I want to say thank you to Cora Shaw for the link to instructions for using the crochet symbols. I hope that helps you, Carole, and that it helps me, too! In the picture above with Robyn and Kim working on the Maggie Wrap cardigan it says the yarn is made by Tahki Stacy Charles. I visited the website but am confused about which particular yarn is used. Also, will any DK weight #3 yarn work for this wrap? Will I get an answer to my questions via email? Or from the "powers that be"? loopy
littlechina wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:10 AM
Hi Geri, thanks for sending a pdf pattern for Maggies Wrap and for your quick response. I had my hook and my lovely yarn ready .....until I notice there were only drawings of different types of motifs in this pattern - (triangle, half and partial grannies???) I dont know how to make it by just looking at a drawing.. I got confused with it. I've only been crocheting for 8 months and I need to "Read" instructions before i start on this wrap. Please send instructions to help:)) Lisa My email: lc@iinet.net.au
on Jul 1, 2008 1:10 AM
I too am disappointed that Maggies Wrap only has the crochet chart and not the written directions. While I can read them, I find them confusing and often loose my place.
geri wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:10 AM
littlechina: I had never worked from a chart before, but have found it really easy. I used the link posted by Cora Shaw to work out the symbols and the stitches. Then I studied the chart writing down the stitches in each round. I did a couple of test squares to get the hang of it. I am about half way through my wrap and can now see at a glance where I'm up to on the chart. It really is much easier than I anticipated. I finally got the hang of the joining...it did take a bit of trial and error to get it right. Hope this helps.
Bobbi wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:10 AM
Hi ya, I too would like to download the Maggie Wrap but am unablet to. Help! Thanks a lot in advance
Kimberly wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:10 AM
seems to be a common thread with Maggie's Wrap...I, too, would love to recieve this via email...kake2000_ca@yahoo.ca thanks! Kimberly
Teresa@4 wrote
what a great show.

Copyright © 2014 F+W Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.