Episode 102: The Sweater

Jul 1, 2008
On episode 102 Knitting Daily TV explores how to make the perfect sweater, and even embellish it with beads.

Getting Started: Kathy Elkins and Shay list all the tools you need before you even knit a stitch of any sweater.
Designer Spotlight: Author Michele Rose Orne and Eunny talk about embellishing knitwear with beads, and demonstrates her Amber Beaded Cardigan’s beaded embellishments.
How-To: Eunny and Liz demonstrate the “Shauna” Sweater, a merino sweater that is machine wash and dry.
You Asked It: Kim Werker answers questions about measuring yourself for a perfect fit and choices about added waist shaping to your garments.
You Made It: Wendy Bernard and Kim talk about Wendy’s pattern, “The Tomato” sweater, and the modifications that other knitters have made to the design.

View a preview:

102-1 The Sweater, Getting Started

Kathy Elkins from Webs yarn store visits to discuss all the tools needed to make a sweater, such as tape measures, stitch markers, needles. For all the resources, including Ann Budd’s book The Knitter’s Handy Book of Sweater Patterns shown by Kathy, visit www.yarn.com.

WEBS, America’s Yarn Store
75 Service Center Road
Northampton, MA 01060
(800) FOR-WEBS (367-9327)
customerservice@yarn.com
www.yarn.com

Purchase this episode on DVD

102-2 The Sweater, Designer Spotlight

pdfDownload Amber Beaded Cardigan

Michele Rose Orne, author of Inspired to Knit (Interweave, 2008) explains the inspiration behind her original designs. She also talks about added special touches to her knitwear, such as the beads demonstrates added to the Amber Beaded Cardigan, which is made of Fiesta’s La Luz silk yarn. Download Amber Beaded Cardigan pattern, including a tutorial on added beaded embellishments to your design.

Sponsor Information:
Fiesta Yarns
5401 San Diego NE
Albuquerque, NM 87113
(506) 892-5008
CustomerService@fiestayarns.com
www.fiestayarns.com

Purchase this episode on DVD!

102-3 The Sweater, How-To

pdfDownload Shauna Sweater

Eunny and Liz demonstrate how to knit the “Shauna” Sweater, a cabled, long sleeve sweater made of Louet Gems, a 100% merino wool yarn that is machine washable and dryable. Download Shauna Sweater from Louet.

Louet North America
3425 Hands Road
Prescott, ON, Canada
K0E 1T0
(613) 925-4502
Info@louet.com
for pattern support, e-mail Lynda@louet.com.
www.louet.com

Purchase this episode on DVD!

102-4 The Sweater, You Asked It

Emily from Minneapolis, Minnesota, asks “How do I take my measurements for handmade sweaters?” Kim demonstrates the basic measurements to take before beginning any handmade sweater, and shares a trick: use a piece you already have that fits you beautifully and use those measurements.
Nancy in California asks, “How do I know when to began waist shaping?” Kim demonstrates the various options for creating the perfect waist shaping for handmade sweaters.
For tape measures perfect for measuring for fiber projects, visit www.yarnmarket.com.

Yarnmarket.com
Postal mail:
c/o Yarn Market, LLC
12936 Stonecreek Drive, Unit D
Pickerington, OH 43147(888) 996-9276
(614) 861-7223
Orders@yarnmarket.com
www.yarnmarket.com

Purchase this episode on DVD!

102-5 The Sweater, You Made It

Download Tomato

Wendy Bernard and Kim visit about Wendy’s “The Tomato” sweater, made famous by Amy Singer’s No Sheep for You book and www.knittingdaily.com. Wendy’s original is made of Blue Sky Alpacas organic cotton, which is also used for all the knitting community’s original versions. See what can be done to Wendy’s design to make it your own.

Blue Sky Alpacas, Inc.
PO Box 88
Cedar, MN 55011
(888) 460-8862
(763) 753-5815
questions and comments: info@blueskyalpacas.com
wholesale orders: orders@blueskyalpacas.com
www.blueskyalpacas.com
*Blue Sky Alpacas yarns and products are available exclusively through fine yarn stores. Click for a complete listing of stores and websites carrying Blue Sky Alpacas yarns.

Purchase this episode on DVD!

Comments

DianeD@3 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!!! Exactly what I have come to expect from the Interweave Knits/Knitting Daily Team. Thanks so much
SueD wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
Very cool, indeed! Sure wish the show were airing in my area.....
LindaJ wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
Wish that it aired in my neck of the woods too!!! Don't think so...... Keep the good stuff coming on knitting daily. I always look forward to my emails!!! Sandi, lookin' good girl!!! What did you do with all those "too big now" sweaters??? I had one (not that I was losing so much...just didn't get it the right size) and I ripped it out and made a different one!!! Fear-less!!!
LyndaP wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
This was so inspiring I was willing the exerpt to go on much longer. Is there any chance you can get this aired in the UK?
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
I agree with LyndaP any chance of getting this in the UK?
RhondaS wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
Wow ... I guess I am not going to see this in Melbourne Australia!!! I love my emails from Knitting Daily and look forward to Interweave Knitting every quarter. Keep up the great work. Rhonda Melbourne Australia
jmschwartz1 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
This will be a great series. Is there a way to find out if WETA (channel 26) is going to carry this series? Judith Alexandria Virginia
SusanG@4 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
Your sample of your show looks easy to understand and informative. I to wish I could see it in Sydney Australia. Perhaps it will go to cable? Maybe the how to chanel or such ? I hope so. I love reading Knitting daily. I feel I know Sandy! Sue from Sydney.
SharonF@2 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM

Where would I find the pattern for the sweater in #102?  By the way I love Knitting Daily and look forward to each one!

SharonF

Sharon: you can find it here: http://www.knittingdaily.com/media/p/27894.aspx

NancyG@5 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
Tomato sweater download isn't working for me. I get a broken link. Does anyone else have this problem, or a fix? Thanks.
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
Thank you for your comments. Each station chooses when and if to air the program. If it is not airing in your local market - please go to the station finder on the site and enter your zip code to find the name of your local station. Please call, write or email and let them know you are a viewer of the station and would like to see Knitting Daily TV. You can really help in bringing KD to your local market.
SuzanneL wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
To all WGBH-TV viewers in the Boston market: Email the station at access@wgbh.org to request they pick up the show. I just did. If they have a lost of requests, maybe we will get what we want! Suzanne Scituate, MA
DebbyH wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
I have been getting Needle Arts Studio on my local PBS WKYTV - Lexington, KY, but they have no plans to air Knitting Daily TV. I wrote to the PBS station and requested that they include KDTV in their lineup but haven't heard back from them yet. Although I like Needle Arts Studio, it was split between knitting, crochet and mostly cross stitch. So, I am looking forward to a show that is dedicated just to knitting! Thank you so much for the show and I really hope I will be able to get it in KY. Deb Hogue Lexington, KY
EstherL wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
I'd suggest for those who live in the UK or Australia (or anywhere else, for that matter) that you purchase the DVD. That way you can watch the episodes over and over whenever you like. Since they aren't being shown in WV, that's what I am doing.
Zaz wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
simply beautiful sweaters/cardigans both. when i see luxury (the beaded one) i think "mom", i tend to want to be able to put in more effort for soething that i am going to gift... hm.
Thryth wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
How does one view the preview? I can find no link to do so.
NancyG wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
Says to view a preview, but it isn't active - won't click forward to the segment. Is the link 'broken'.
NancyG wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
Followup: guess they are right when they say - help yourself - lol. Found a preview on YouTube after doing an online search for knitting daily tv show preview. Here is a link to that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIfGAGHe0_E . Nice presentation.
knittypurl28 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
I don't know what the problem is, but there is NO LINK to connect me to view the sample program. I tried to view this page on several different browsers & it's the same think, no link. Does anyone know how I may fix that?
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
Is there a sweater that I could learn to knit for someone who has never knited a sweater. I have done scarves and basic hat and have tried socks in a sock class but would like to learn just a basic sweater for a plus size. Thankyou my friends... Laney Rountree...Spokane ,WA
mljan wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
Yea! Los Angeles KCET is showing Knitting Daily and I'm thrilled. I just watched my first episode, 102, recorded earlier. Very nice, and some great patterns. Maureen
kitten1256 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
I would like to know if the beautiful tank shown in 102-4 The Sweater, You Asked It is available as a pattern.
Heidi S wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
I am loving Knitting Daily!! This episode was especially informational and I appreciate having the patterns available for download. It would be helpful if the overhead close-up camera was oriented from the knitter's perspective instead of a viewer's perspective. Thanks for all you're doing to continue to keep knitting real and relevant -- and using public broadcasting stations for your venue !!
Sharon@6 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
This show just aired in our area and the designs are absolutely fabulous! I have been knitting for 50 years and thought I knew all there was to know but I am so wrong. Keep up the great work! I look forward to many more episodes! As an aside, I have also subscribed to your Interweave magazine and have already purchased several knitting patterns off your website. Thank you for a job extremely well done! Sharon C Florida
SusanJ wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
This is not the Shauna sweater that was to supposed to download. What happened?
SusanJ wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
Tried printing but came up with blank sheets.
ClaireP@2 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
I am not really keen on using circular needles, how can I adapt the shauna pattern for straight needles, please? Thank you Wish we had knitting TV in the UK! Happy 2009 too!! x Claire
ingridw wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
They may have some wonderful patterns, but this Web Site stinks. It is full of broken or misdirected links. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?
VeronicaP wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
These patterns are absolutely beautiful! I especially love the beaded edge on the cardigan. I'm going to have to give that one a try really soon! :-) Pinka http://pinkap.etsy.com http://pinkap.blogspot.com
SharonF@2 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
I find it strange that we don't get the show in the same state that Knitting Daily is based! Bummer. Sharon F
marg@2 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
HI do not get your show - Am in Thunder Bay (Northwestern Ontario, Canada) and PBS probably out of Detroit. Sounds like many cities much larger than ours will ever be do not get this show. Maybe you can tell people where it is available. Also am unable to download the sweater pattern. the video clip did not show very much so am not sure if this show is more for selling or showing new and improved techniques. For good info I use Lucy Neatby's series of about 12 dvd's but always interested in new info. Marg D
jrbtmetz wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
I have trouble down loading the free patterns. I have some, but would like the Shauna Cable Sweater. They will not accept my password, I have tried to change to a new one. They say I am already registered! HELP Barbara Metz jrbtmetz@verizon.net
kkkeith wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
I can't find the downloads! I click "download the Shauna" from the Knittingy Daily email and it takes me to Knitting Daily TV -- but no downloads that I can find. Help! I've even searched the site for downloads, free downloads, free patterns -- I'm getting nothing.
EleanoreR wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
Is there anyway that the program could be out of Madison,Wi.
dblake864 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
I can't get to some of the downloads, either. Also, it would be nice to have a photo of the finished product on the pattern page. If you don't get the show and can't watch the video, you have no idea what it's supposed to look like.
DonnaB@4 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
Does ayone know if this show errors on Dish Network in the Sacramento area. I live in Ione, a very small town and dish network is very popular here.
KayB wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
Am also looking for fee downloads but do not appear on this page as it is suppose to ........ lovely cool day outside and not knitting.... ugh KayB , Queensland , Australia
Barbara BM wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
I love your knitting shows, will u all show your knitting shows on one of the Directv channel. Thank You Barbara M
Tol wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
Where is this famous Shauna sweater you were tellilng us about? otherwise i'm getting to enjoy your programme. Tol
Tol wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
There is a pattern i wish I knew how to obtain. It is the Aran Duffle Coat. I do not have a credit card and I live in NZ how much will it cost when converted into NZ dollars? MAy i send a MO. Tol
Naranja wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
Incredible! Two gorgeous patterns for Free! I really enjoy the Shauna sweater even as the Amber one! What a great idea!
Deb@3 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
I recieved an e-mail tellng me about the 2009 " shauna " sweater pattern, but i've been unable to download the pattern. When I click on " Download pattern " on the e-mail, it sends me to this site and I can't get to the pattern- HELP!
GoldenTracks wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
I love it. Wish it aired here. As much as I'm paying for cable and with over 600 channels one would think Time Warner would offer it.
LorraineK@2 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
I can't get the shawna pattern either. It always sends me to this site. What am I doing wrong?
DeeH wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
I tried 6 times to download the sweater and all I get is this page. Am I doing something wrong????????????
DeeH wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
Well, duh, once I figured out how to dwonload the scarf pattern I came back to this page and whoa there it was easy as pie. Sometimes you have to just read!!
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
You have to go down to where it says Shauna Sweater and click on that link, on this page. That's where I finally found it. Like everyone else, I tried several times to click on the link in my email and it sent me to this same site every time. Finally, I scrolled through the page and that is when I found the link to download the Shauna sweater. Good luck everybody!
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
If the objective is to encourage people to knit, it would behove the site designers to make downloading something possible for the less computer literate. Even with the asistance of Barbara Varga, I was unable to find the Shauna sweater link. It is not worth the frustration to get one simple pattern. Shame on you for teasing an old lady thusly. Mary Margaret
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
Mary, you have to go to where it says episode 102-3, The Sweater How-to and just below that it has a link that says Download Shauna Sweater. That is what you have to click on and it will download the sweater for you. Hope this helps you.
carmel71 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
I don't know what DeeH is talking about. I've read every word on this page and still haven't found anything about the scarf!! I'm upset that I came here for that and can't find it.
radha wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
radha marleine@y7mail.com thank you for all the new addition., beautiful work. i am learning to use my knitting machine which i got for Christmas. the sweater knitting machine i wonder if any one has used one like it? perhaps if you guy's could come to Australia it will be awesome. bye now i will keep watching out for your email. how much is postage to Australia?
SallyF wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
Has anybody actually tried knitting the Shauna sweater? Are there any pattern corrections? I'm starting the sweater, & there appears to be an error. It starts with a K1 tbl, P1 and then begins the cable patterns. Each cable pattern has a P1, K1 tbl, P1 between each one. The pattern ends with a P1, K1tbl. Shouldn'tit end with a P stitch. I would really like to get e-mails from other knitters about this sweater. Sally Facer spfacer@peoplepc.com
SallyF wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:22 AM
I got an e-mail replay from Louet about the Shauna sweater. The instructions are correct, as the pattern has 2 K1 tbl's at the side seams, giving a a false side seam to the sweater. Sally Facer spfacer@peoplepc.com

Copyright © 2014 F+W Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.