Episode 104: Quick and Chunky

Jul 1, 2008

Grab your bon bons and forget about your diet because today chunky is in! Take a closer look at chunky yarns high in fiber, how they knit up so quickly, and even how to spin your own one-of-a-kind fat fiber.

Getting Started: Deborah Knight and Kim show off some bulky and super bulky yarns types, as well as extreme needles and hooks.
Designer Spotlight: Becca Smith demonstrates a Big Stitch Square Pillow, which combines yarns to create great texture and color variations on super size needles.
How-To: Sela Smith and Eunny demo the St Petersburg man’s scarf pattern using thicker yarns, which knits up quickly.
You Asked It: Liz Gipson demonstrates how to spin bulky, chunky yarns for one-of-a-kind fat fiber.
You Made It: Bonnie Burton and Shay explore the trend of short sweaters and demo a new colorful cropped overlay pattern, from Colorful Stitches.

104-1 Quick and Chunky, Getting Started

Download information from Yarn Market

Deborah Knight from Yarnmarket.com visits with Kim about chunky yarns, large knitting needles, and large crochet hooks. These yarns knit or crochet quickly, perfect for fast projects. Download a list of yarns shown on this segment, all available from www.yarnmarket.com.

Yarnmarket.com
c/o Yarn Market, LLC
12936 Stonecreek Drive, Unit D
Pickerington, OH 43147
(888) 996-9276
(614) 861-7223
Orders@yarnmarket.com

www.yarnmarket.com

Purchase this episode on DVD

104-2 Quick and Chunky, Designer Spotlight

pdfDownload Bagsmith Pillow

Becca Smith, from BagSmith, demonstrates how to knit a quick pillow project using a mixture of yarns and large needles. Hear Becca’s inspiration for this project when she meets up with host Kim Werker. Download the pattern for this pillow.

The BagSmith
20600 Chagrin Blvd. Suite 101
Shaker Heights, OH 44122
(88) 879-7224
(216) 921-3535
info@bagsmith.com
www.bagsmith.com.

Purchase this episode on DVD!

104-3 Quick and Chunky, How-To

pdfDownload St. Petersburg Scarf

Eunny Jang and Sela Smith demonstrate the St. Petersburg Man’s Scarf, an easy project using thick yarns that anyone would love. This stockinette scarf won’t roll! Download the St. Petersburg Scarf  from Fiesta.

Fiesta Yarns
5401 San Diego NE
Albuquerque, NM 87113
(506) 892-5008
CustomerService@fiestayarns.com
www.fiestayarns.com

Purchase this episode on DVD!

104-4 Quick and Chunky, You Asked It

Allie from Laramie, Wyoming, asks “I’m spinning cobwebs, how do I spin a chunky yarn?” Liz Gipson demonstrates how to spin thicker yarns with Louet fibers and Louet’s Victoria spinning wheel, creating original yarn that will knit up quickly. The Victoria wheel is available from Louet and fine yarn stores.

Louet North America
3425 Hands Road
Prescott, ON, Canada
K0E 1T0
(613) 925-4502
Info@louet.com
for pattern support, e-mail Lynda@louet.com.
www.louet.com

Purchase this episode on DVD!

104-5 Quick and Chunky, Knit Along

pdfDownload Colorful Cropped Overlay

Bonnie Burton from Colorful Stitches stops by to chat with Shay about the latest knitting trend using thick yarns, the cropped cardigan. Bonnie’s pattern for the Colorful Cropped Overlay, a cropped cardigan using Colorful Stitches (yarn) is available online.

Purchase the complete kit from Colorful Stitches.

Colorful Stitches
PO Box 2278
48 Main Street
Lenox, MA 01240
(800) 413-6111
(413) 637-8206
mary@colorfulstitches.com
www.colorfulstitches.com

Purchase this episode on DVD!

Comments

MaryC@5 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:20 AM
I live in Yaphank, NY and am an AVID knitter & crocheter. When will the TV show be in my area? Mary Chimenti
on Jul 1, 2008 1:20 AM
Thank you for your comments. Each station chooses when and if to air the program. If it is not airing in your local market - please go to the station finder on the site and enter your zip code to find the name of your local station. Please call, write or email and let them know you are a viewer of the station and would like to see Knitting Daily TV. You can really help in bringing KD to your local market.
SuzanneL wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:20 AM
To all WGBH-TV viewers in the Boston market: Email the station at access@wgbh.org to request they pick up the show. I just did. If they have a lost of requests, maybe we will get what we want! Suzanne Scituate, MA
karenb92 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:20 AM
The show is not in my area. I just bought the DVD instead! Thanks for offering that
Teena wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:20 AM
I just know the show isn't coming to Adelaide, Australia anytime soon so I've already bought the DVD as a birthday present for myself. I've already watched 4 episodes and have loved everyone! I have to ration myself so I don't watch them all in one knitting marathon. Love getting the Knitting Daily newsletters too. Teena
megan@3 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:20 AM
i love watching your show i have a question how can i learn to knit i am lefthanded
MaireL wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:20 AM
I wish that you could potion the cameras BEHIND the people so that we can see more clearly how to . Try watching and if you do not know how to do something it is very hard to watch backwards, it is like looking through the looking glass
Deb@2 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:20 AM
I would like to add that I agree with MaireL regarding the camera postion when showing the how-to's. I am dissapointed that you do not show the project from behind the person demonstrating. I also watch Knitty Gritty and it is wonderful to see the knitting from MY perspective. Also, would it be possible to show some knitting techniques using the standard throw method rather than the continental method of knitting. As a beginner, I find it confusing trying to watch someone knit continental and sooooo fast! I know most of your viewers are more experienced, but maybe occasionally you could slow down for some of us. Otherwise, I am really enjoying your show and waited for it with much excitement! Thank you so much for such an interesting lineup of proojects!
LaurenS@2 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:20 AM
The patterns on the show are great! I am unable to find the pattern for the chunky cabled coat from the 1st segment. Any ideas?
on Jul 1, 2008 1:20 AM
I'm with Deb and Mariel - change the camera position to behind the demonstrator. I can read upside down and backwards, but haven't mastered the skill when it comes to trying to figure out a knitting technique!
BabetteW wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:20 AM
I love your shows...they come on 4:30 a.m. and I watch them before I start to get ready for school..I am an high school art teacher... I am a second year knitter and am totally addicted to it and have met some wonderful new friends.. Thanks ladies for the great shows, your magazine and wonderful patterns...
JudyE wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:20 AM
Please try to angle the camera from behind the knitters. It's impossible to comprehend the technique from your current camera position. Thank you. Your designs are wonderful.
dblake864 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:20 AM
I love your free patterns, but could you provide a photo of the finished product on the PDF downloads? My internet connection is slow, so I don't even bother with trying to watch the videos. I like the idea of the swirl beret, but would like to know what it's supposed to look like.
MarthaJ wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:20 AM
I too, love the idea of the swirl beret and have downloaded the pattern but would love to have a picture of the finished project. Thanks.
SherrilS wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:20 AM
I DID call my local PBS station in Reno, NV (KNPB), they said this show is NOT available in their lineup of shows from PBS. It doesn't do much good to request the show if PBS is not offering it!
penny@5 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:20 AM
Hi to everyone in the L.A. area. I just searched my Direct TV guide and it appears it will air tomorrow on channel 24. So I have my fingers crossed that it will be available.
DonnaS@6 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:20 AM
Hi, I live in Airdrie. Alberta and I have been getting Knitting Daily on the net for quite a while. I love your site , and all the patterns that you provide.I have made some purchases.Is your TV show in Canada?My area would be Calgary,Alberta Thanks, Donna
SusanB@7 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:20 AM
Where are the photos for the downloads? I have never seen this program, so I really don't know how these items look.
on Jul 1, 2008 1:20 AM
I would not dare ever miss one of your shows if they were available in the Chattanooga, Tennessee area. I plan to call my station tomorrow [Comcast] and see if I can covince them to carry it. I enjoy your Knitting Daily that I get on my computer! Thank you. Glenda Darling
KarenS wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:20 AM
I live outside the LA area and YES, the show was on this morning on Channel 24. I am glad to have found it! I would also request that future tapings show the demonstrations from behind/above the demonstrator, so we can see the techniques from the knitter's perspective. Thank you, Karen S.
DeniseMarieS wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:20 AM
I don't understand not having a picture to accompany the swirl beret or the St. Petersburg scarf?? How is one to remember years from now what the item looks like?
tods wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:20 AM
Hi, Compliments of the season. Please can you publish pictures of the Swirl Beret and St.Petersburg Scarf at some convenient time.It really helps to know what we crafters are aiming for! Many thanks for the website and free patterns.Keep up the good work.
JudyM@3 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:20 AM
It would be helpful to have a picture of the completed pattern. Thanks for the website.
Barbara@6 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:20 AM
I have finally gotten to TIVO the show here in CT. I love them but I have loved Interweave knits and knitting daily newsletter for some time so I am not surprised. I would like to suggest that ou just slow down the technique when you are showing it and explain it with the camera over your shoulder. Much easier to get it. I use the throw method and I can figure it out when you do conitnental but it takes work and I have to go back and watch it several times. I think slowing it down would help. Lots of commercials embedded in the show too!
DeborahK wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:20 AM
DonnaS -- My aunt Wilma lives in Calgary and she's watching it on one of the PBS stations out of the States. I'll check with her to see when and where it's on. Regards, Deborah Yarnmarket
ANGELIA wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:20 AM
When are you going to come out with another series?
tods wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:20 AM
Hi from Perth, Western Australia, Many thanks for the website and free patterns. I have just re-downloaded the pattern for the cropped overlay as there was a problem the first time,and it continues to be one.It downloads fine,but when I change it to a word file,all I get is alot of squares where the text should be.Can anyone help please? Keep up the good work, Lynda

Copyright © 2014 F+W Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.