Episode 112: Fabulous Felting

Jul 1, 2008
Fiber never felt so good! Knitting Daily TV is felting bags, scarves and more. We’ll even use needle felting to add embellishments.

Getting Started: Felting requires a special type of yarn, Deborah Knight joins Kim to explore the possibilities.
Designer Spotlight: Meet author and designer Leigh Radford as she shows some of her latest felting projects and demonstrates the “Shibori Scarf with Shay.
How-To: Felt a bag with Eunny and Sela Smith from Fiesta Yarns.
You Asked It: Shannon Okey demonstrates needle felting to make a felted flower with Kim
Knit Along:
Kathy Elkins joins Liz and shows off different versions of the Vermont felted bag pattern

112-1 Fabulous Felting, Getting Started

Download information from Yarn Market

Deborah Knight is back with Kim to talk about great felting yarns. Download a list of the alpaca and wool shown by Deborah on this segment. All the yarns are available online at www.yarnmarket.com.

Yarnmarket.com
c/o Yarn Market, LLC
12936 Stonecreek Drive, Unit D
Pickerington, OH 43147
(888) 996-9276
(614) 861-7223
Orders@yarnmarket.com

www.yarnmarket.com

Purchase this episode on DVD

112-2 Fabulous Felting, Designer Spotlight

pdfDownload Shibori Scarf & Cravat

Author of One Skein , AlterKnits and Alterknits Felt Leigh Radford visits with Shay Pendray about her latest felted designs and the inspiration behind them. Leigh also demos how to make a Shibori felted scarf using small rubber bands and a washing machine.

Unicorn Books & Crafts
1338 Ross Street
Petaluma, CA 94954
(800) 289-9276
(707) 762-3362
help@unicornbooks.com
www.unicornbooks.com
*Unicorn Books & Crafts is a leading distributor of needlework and textile craft books.

Purchase this episode on DVD!

112-3 Fabulous Felt, How-To

pdfDownload Herman Felted Bag

Join Sela Smith from Fiesta Yarns and Eunny as they felt The Herman Felted Bag, a felted bag perfect for beginning felters that has a unique construction and twisted handle. This bag is made from mohair and wool, which makes a nice felted fabric with a soft look. Download the pattern for The Herman Felted Bag.

Fiesta Yarns
5401 San Diego NE
Albuquerque, NM 87113
(506) 892-5008
CustomerService@fiestayarns.com
www.fiestayarns.com

Purchase this episode on DVD!

112-4 Fabulous Felt, You Asked It

“Can you felt without a washing machine?” Shannon Okey, author of Felt Frenzy demonstrates quick and easy needlefelting using Louet’s Needle Felting Kit, available at fine yarn shops. Needle felting is a great way to add embellishment to your work, as well as make original felted pieces to stand alone.

Louet North America
3425 Hands Road
Prescott, ON, Canada
K0E 1T0
(613) 925-4502
Info@louet.com
for pattern support, e-mail Lynda@louet.com.
www.louet.com

Purchase this episode on DVD!

112-5 Fabulous Felt, You Made It

pdfDownload Vermont Felted Bag

Kathy Elkins is back with more of her shop’s fun projects to share. The Vermont Felted Bag, originally made from a handpainted wool and alpaca blend yarn, showcases the handpainted features of the yarn once felted. However, the variations shown use solid yarns, too, and showcase the knitters’ personalities. Make your Vermont Felted Bag large or small using handpainted or solid yarns, add stripes or decorative buttons. This bag allows knitters to be truly original. Download the pattern for the Vermont Felted Bag. All the bags shown can be knit with yarns available online at www.yarn.com

WEBS, America’s Yarn Store
75 Service Center Road
Northampton, MA 01060
(800) FOR-WEBS (367-9327)
customerservice@yarn.com
www.yarn.com

Purchase this episode on DVD!

Comments

Marilyn1063 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:09 AM
The Herman Felted Bag Hello I will like to see the bag. It is too little the picture. And the pattern do not offer a sample. Thank you Marilyn marilynmonroig36@yahoo.com
Lesley wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:09 AM
For those of us who aren't getting Knitting Daily on our PBS stations, it would be nice to have photos on the Fiesta patterns, so we know what they look like. Thanks. Lesley Lsnems@aol.com
Elaan wrote
DITO!
CarmenS wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:09 AM
I certainly agree with that. It is always nice to have a picture to refer to when knitting a new pattern. Fiesta~please consider photos to be included on your patterns! We'd love it! Thanks for sharing the free patterns. Happy knitting!
BarbaraP@4 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:09 AM
Ditto, ditto, ditto. I just downloaded the Herman Felted bag, but I don't have a clue as to what it looks like. I don't think I would make it not knowing what the finished product should look like. I am not a big chance-taker! Thanks, Barb
Bettymr wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:09 AM
I agree with the above: need a picture. Thank you. Betty
buddhafly wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:09 AM
Hello... Anybody in there? I would like a picture of the Herman felted bag too! Unfortunately, my local PBS station is not showing kdtv, but I don't want to miss out on free patterns! Thanks! You folks rock!
Avis wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:09 AM
I just downloaded the pattern for the Vermont Felted Bag, and there was a picture. Maybe it was added after all of the other comments. Good picture, too. Can't wait to make it. Thanks, Avis
Ginny@2 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:09 AM
Please send me a picture of the Herman felted bag thanks, Ginny GGlamour@aol.com
on Jul 1, 2008 1:09 AM
Please send me a picture of the Herman felted bag. Can't knit/felt a bag without knowing if it is the right style for me! Thanks, Barbara Schmidt variations2003@yahoo.com
on Jul 1, 2008 1:09 AM
I agree that there needs to be a picture with the Herman Felted Bag. I would also like a picture of it. In fact I think there should be a picture with every pattern offered by Knitting Daily TV. Thank you.
pam@11 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:09 AM
how about crochet felting? There are some of us who prefer to crochet.
VirginiaR wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:09 AM
Dear Knitting Daily, I am trying to find the bright green felted bag that was, also, shown on this episode. I believe the designer was said to be Barbara Rothman (spelling?).Can you tell be where to find it? Thanking you, Virginia Relf vrelf@earthlink.net
LisaE@2 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:09 AM
I think most of us would rather see pictures of the projects featured in the downloads than the people on the episode. If you scroll through these pages, you see page after page of pictures that essentially blend together because it's two people, posing, from a distance, with little to no useful information in the picture about the subject of the episode. As lovely as the people are, we're here because of the craft; even the 'knitting celebrities' are celebrities because of their handiwork and talent with knitting (or crocheting as the case may be), not because of their smiling faces and fabulous looks -- and that handiwork is what we come to the website to see. You may be getting a lot of downloads (and therefore falsely high stats for your mgmt types who care about such things) right now because you hide the pictures of the projects in the downloads, but isn't it more important (and accurate to your marketing results) to make sure your customers are downloading because they actually want to make the projects you're featuring, rather than because downloading is the only way to find out what the projects are?
ElaineH wrote
Please send me a picture of the Herman Felted Bag
Jennifer@7 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:09 AM
I have to agree with the previous comments - I won't start a project unless I can see picture of it... Fiesta, thanks for the free patterns, but please consider posting pics. Thanks
LindaA@3 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:09 AM
I wish you wouldn't use the Fiesta patterns.I don't like to make something that I haven't seen. I open the pattern before I download, and if there is no picture, I don't download it. I haven't checked this website for a long time for that very reason. The only reason I checked today is that I wanted to see what a "berret" is. I still don't know, but that's okay. Linda
MaryT@3 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:09 AM
I have to agree with everyone who was looking for a picture or photo of the felted bag project. (also the swirl beret) I have downloaded the patterns but I suspect unless I get a photo I will eventually delete them - they are no good to me with out the picture. Mary
RuthC@2 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:09 AM
I downloaded the pattern and there is a picture of the bag!!!!!! Ladies----download it the bag looks great!!!!!
knitnchik wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:09 AM
I was just about to leave a comment and noticed that I was saying the same thing the others did. You need to post a picture of the project right next to the name. I imagine you will see many more of these projects downloaded if you do this.
KatherineH@2 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:09 AM
Okay, I downloaded the pattern. No picture. I printed out the pattern because I have that yarn and didn't have a plan for it. Still no picture. Where did you see it???
KatherineH@2 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:09 AM
Okay, I got it. Vermont Felted Bag has a picture, but Herman Felted Bag does not.
TammiS wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:09 AM
If any of you are members of the ravelry website (www.ravelry.com) you can see the projects if you enter the project name in the pattern page. This will help you see the finished project until fiesta realizes most users would like to see the end result before beginning a project. If you are not a ravelry user, you can request an invitation; takes a few days to get your invitation and then all I can say is good luck. The site is fabulous!! Thanks Knitting Daily for all the wonderful free patterns you share with us; we really appreciate it!!!
Marijka wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:09 AM
I'm really disappointed in this show. The concept has so much promise, but they're trying to cram too many short segments into a 22 minute show! (At least that's the length of most "30 minute" PBS shows.) Knitty Gritty devoted longer segments to one specific project or topic, and Vickie was careful to slow down guests and ask for clarification when necessary. Also, the camera angles were nice and tight. I always learned something, even if the project was a bit too quirky for my taste. It would be nice if Knitting Daily thought more about the "customer": we need to SEE the project or technique at a learning speed, and a segment that lasts longer than 3 minutes -- and, duh, why bother to post a pattern if you're not going to provide a project photo? They probably produce an entire season at once, so any suggestions or comments can't make a difference right away; hopefully we'll see some changes soon. Obviously the producers have the best intentions and no one sets out to fail, so I'll keep tuning in -- but for now I just don't get much out of this show. Fingers crossed...
loril@2 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:09 AM
WOW, LisaE said it all.....first and foremost, we need pictures of every project. LoriL
PATB@3 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:09 AM
I, too would like a photo of the Hermann Felted Bag. Without seeing it, I would probably not make it. Thanks. Pat Bradbury patebradbury@hotmail.com
BeckyJ wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:09 AM
Strange - do they not respond to the comments? I, too, appreciate the free pattern but will not touch it without a picture. I have a difficult enough time even with the picture. I did open several only to find no picture so agree the numbers will be skewed. Please attach pictures of your featured projects. Thank you...
rkr4cds wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:09 AM
I have never watched the show & never will - it's not available. As for this site - it's been said before and I can only add my name & PLEA to the LOOOOONG list - NO more 'personalities' posing for the camera!!! WE WANT PROJECT PICTURES! When will you read these Comments and understand? I have yet to read a single Comment that says "Please keep the smiley faces!" rkr4cds
JudyF@3 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:09 AM
Come on Ladies, Lets play nice! The staff at Knitting Daily are doing all that they can, It was the Holidays, give them a break. Its not like they have to give us free patterns. Appreciate what you get and thank them. Maybe if some one could make the pattern and post a picture for them, then everyone could be a bit nicer? Hey everyone at KD, Thank You for the lovely Patterns, Keep up the good work, I appreciate what you have done this year. and thank you for the free patterns. JudyF.
SuzanneF wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:09 AM
I agree completely. A picture would make all the difference in the world. THe vermont bag has a nice picture and it gives you a much better idea of what you are aiming at. I really enjoy the patterns. Thank you so much. Frenchdragon6
SueC@2 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:09 AM
I can only agree with Lisa E who said it all. I will not make something when I have no idea what it looks like. I have downloaded the patterns but will delete them. Sue
cherrybowls wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:09 AM
Ok ladies, I have a ravelry membership and found a picture of both the Herman felted bag & the Swirl Berret, and have included the picture links: Herman Felted Bag: http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j70/zodiacgrrl/Yarn%20Stuff/hermanfeltedbag_medium.jpg Swirl Berret (though I'd think maybe it should be beret? oh well, that's how it was spelled) http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j70/zodiacgrrl/Yarn%20Stuff/swirlberret_medium.jpg Enjoy! And I'll add thanks for the free patterns, but we all need pictures with them!
JenniferC@7 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:09 AM
pls send a picture of herman felted bag to JCOOKE9@nyc.rr.com thanks.
NancyS@9 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:09 AM
Thanks, Cherie, for the information on the photo of the Herman Bag. We value generousity from Knitting Daily and anyone thinking outside the box to help us see what the pattern will make.
Psfarrow wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:09 AM
Just downloaded the Vermont Felted Bag pattern - thank you so much. Really like the tip about casting handles on at same time to make the lengths match. Can hardly wait to get started.
dracofly wrote
on Jan 6, 2010 12:22 PM

I would like to try fleting but am allergic to the wool.  and yes I have downloaded the yarn market thingy on the yarn but didn't see anything that didn't have wool in it.  If anyone knows any yarn that can be fleted but DOES NOT HAVE WOOL in it please e-mail dracofly_rose@yahoo.com  thank you

on Jul 14, 2011 1:52 PM

Is it too hard to ask for some real episodes to be here?! im pretty sure that alot of people would enjoy that.

Copyright © 2014 F+W Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.