Episode 113: Oh-so-fine

Jul 1, 2008
Spin thin on Knitting Daily TV. We’ve got the skinny on skinny yarns, and we’ll show you some great projects using fine yarns that won’t pull your hair out.

Getting Started: Deborah Knight shows us some of the latest skinny yarns, including a great collection of sock yarns
Designer Spotlight: Lisa Myers, coauthor of Knit So Fine joins Eunny for a demo on her skinny yarn legwarmers that use an elaborate traveling-stitch pattern that comes from traditional Austrian socks
How-To: Lisa Myers is back with Kim to demo a simple beret using skinny yarns
You Asked It: Liz demonstrates how to spin thin yarn with a mix of fibers
You Made It: Sela Smith and kim show variations on shawls and scarves made from Fiesta yarns

113-1 Oh-so-fine, Getting Started

Download information from Yarn Market

Deborah Knight joins Shay to show us some of the latest skinny yarns to hit the market, including a great collection of popular sock yarn. Download a listing of all the yarns shown, all available from www.yarnmarket.com.

Yarnmarket.com
c/o Yarn Market, LLC
12936 Stonecreek Drive, Unit D
Pickerington, OH 43147
(888) 996-9276
(614) 861-7223
Orders@yarnmarket.com

www.yarnmarket.com

Purchase this episode on DVD

113-2 Oh-so-Fine, Designer Spotlight

pdfDownload Legwarmers

Lisa Myers, coauthor of Knit So Fine (Interweave, 2008), visits with Eunny about the unique construction of her legwarmers. The thin yarn used for the legwarmers allows for custom shaping. Plus, the traveling-stitch of the legwarmers is unique and detailed, inspired from traditional Austrian socks. Download the patterns for the Legwarmers

Interweave Press
201 E Fourth St
Loveland, CO 80537
(800) 272-2193
www.interweave.com
www.interweavebooks.com

Purchase this episode on DVD!

113-3 Oh-so-fine, How-To

pdfDownload Crumpet Beret

Lisa Myers is back to discuss more skinny yarn designs. She demos a beret pattern using double-pointed needles that knits ups in the round with strategic increases to form a leaf motif.

Fairmount Fibers
915 N 28h Street
Philadelphia, PA 19130
(888) 566-9970
info@fairmountfibers.com
www.fairmountfibers.com

Purchase this episode on DVD!

113-4 Oh-so-fine, How-To

Julia Baldwin from Kansas asks, “What fibers are suitable for spinning thin yarns?” Liz Gipson, fiberista and spinner extraordinaire answers Julia’s question and demonstrates spinning skinny yarns on a hand spindle, using fiber from Louet’s spinning kits, available at fine yarn shops.

Louet North America
3425 Hands Road
Prescott, ON, Canada
K0E 1T0
(613) 925-4502
Info@louet.com
for pattern support, e-mail Lynda@louet.com.
www.louet.com

Purchase this episode on DVD!

113-5 Oh-so-fine, You Made It

pdfDownload Ballet Lace Scarf

Sela Smith and Kim show off variations of the Ballet Lace Scarf and a gorgeous knitted shawl, referred to as the “Famous Shawl,” all using thin yarns. Whether you want to play with the colorways or shaping, you can make these patterns show off your individuality. All the projects seen on this segment are made from Fiesta yarns. Download the pattern for the Ballet Lace Scarf.

Fiesta Yarns
5401 San Diego NE
Albuquerque, NM 87113
(506) 892-5008
CustomerService@fiestayarns.com
www.fiestayarns.com

Purchase this episode on DVD!

Comments

on Jul 1, 2008 1:00 AM
None of the Fiesta patterns have pictures. Yes, that is disappointing.
derStricker wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:00 AM
I emailed customer service and let them know what is happening. On another note, I won't download any fiesta patterns - no pics! At least a drawing would be nice. I won't know what I'm knitting! :) Also, I wish the comment section would allow replies to comments.
AmyS@6 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:00 AM
Because the show will not air in my area yet, it would be nice to see larger pictures of the projects so I would know if I was interested in downloading the pattern.
on Jul 1, 2008 1:00 AM
Thanks for the heads up! New versions of the crumpet beret and the legwarmers are now available.
Zaz wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:00 AM
oMg, the legwarmers are heavenly designed and charted, thank you, thank you, i will honestly try to make time for them cause i like to wear skirts in the winter, the back is delicious and sexy and so feminine, yummie! now the crumpet is a fancy take on a square but it looks deliciously classical here and again thank you so much for a well charted pattern. as for the ballerina stole, i cannot "see" it but that is kind of "ok" because a chart is like seeing the stitches, right? i think this trilogy works well together in mismatched colors like pastels, or the same color in dark and pastels, or neutrals like beige and earth tone with an orange, etc... very interesting and again thank you to the designers and the show. i almost thought that eunny designed the legwarmers, bravo Ms meyers and thank you :D
Zaz wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:00 AM
the song in my head "you're so fine you blow my mind hey ..." that's what those legwarmers will do :->
needlebee wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:00 AM
These are some beautiful patterns... I wish I could see these Episodes... to bad you don't air in Dallas, TX. I would be calling sick every time you guys air. Just love Interweave... Keep it up...
Radka wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:00 AM
I would love to see your shows too. But I'm in the Erie, PA area and you're not on our station either. :(
on Jul 1, 2008 1:00 AM
I, too, would like to see your shows, but I'm in Milford, CT, and there are no shows in that area. I have been going crazy trying to find out when the show is on, what channel, etc. without any luck until I came to Knitting Daily TV. I eagerly typed in my zip code and was disappointed when the computer read, "We don't air in your area." But at least I can view the shows that are on this "station."
ChristineC wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:00 AM
*sighs* " Knitting Daily is not currently airing in your area." was my response as well... and I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area! Sure wish I could watch it too! -Christine Chen www.CafeCochet.net
uberfrau13 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:00 AM
Hello All, Super new to knitting, I'm on my very first skeins- teaching myself on a simple, ribbed baby blanket pattern. Yet I'm obviously hooked: 'not yet bound off on my first project, but already scanning for a 2nd! *happy sigh* I'm wondering: how difficult would it be to turn the legwarmers pattern into full, simple socks? I adore the pattern, but my feet are always freezing so I'd wear them much more if they were socks! Would this be very difficult to do? And where should I start my knitting: at the top/thigh or at the toe? Do I just get another sock pattern and try to 'link' it with the legwarmer pattern when I get to the ankle part? Finally: would it ruin the shaping of the legwarmers/socks to knit them with only the narrow, cable-like traveling-stitch on the front of the leg, leaving the back of the project plain or using the same traveling stitch pattern as on the front of the leg? Corina in Vancouver, Canada
AIRknitter wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:00 AM
What wonderful legwarmers...the pattern can be easily changed for a pair of armwarmers. I found a picture of the "Ballet Lace Scarf" at www.FiestaYarns.com. It is beautiful in "Ballet"... Knitting Daily is not currently airing in my area either.
AndreaW wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:00 AM
Hi...Beautiful pattern. Never met a cable I didn't like, but these are extra special as well as sexy the way all the cables keep flowing + intertwining. For Uberfrau13: congrats on aiming very high for a 2nd project...but it is quite an intricate pattern !?! I'll suggest answers to your ?'s though. If you want to "add feet"....it's probably easiest to find a basic toe-up sock pattern. Then when you've finished the heel/@ the ankle you can segue into the legwarmer pattern...possibly w/o the ankle ribbing. I'de skip the rib for "looks". I haven't yet done the pattern...but will for myself. As I understand it though...the pattern on the back of the leg is necessary for fit, not just looks. It contains the increases. I have a suggestion...partially as you are a new knitter + partially for better long term wear. Make a pr of plain socks 1st in the same yarn...either toe-up or top-down as you prefer. They don't have to be long in the leg...just enough to go under the rib of the legwarmer. This will give you a bit more experience circ knitting/etc. Then make the legwarmers to fit over them. Socks need to be washed more often than legwarmers + wear out faster. You could make a couple pr socks to match or contrast too. Viel Gl├╝ck, Andrea in Nova Scotia
jennifercbad wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:00 AM
It would appear that Knitting Daily TV isn't airing in very many cities,according to this comment column. We need to become "fearless" and call AND email our local PBS channels, requesting they air the shows! This is a great chance for all knitters to challenge themselves. Thanks for a greatshow ane website. Jennifer in SF Bay area.
DebirahH wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:00 AM
I love, Love, LOVE the legwarmer pattern. It's printing off as I type this. A perfect project for our frosty northern winters. Sadly, I also can't view Knitting Daily :-( I'm in Toronto.
Hedgehog wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:00 AM
Legwarmers coming right up--with the exception that I too want feet in them. I'll use a provisional cast on, do the legs, then come back and knit feet from the cast on edge on down. My curiosity bump wonders just how well do they stay up--or does one also need to knit a garter belt? Which all leads to a complete set of undergarments to go with the legwarmers (turned into stockings), which means a fun time of designing.......... up here in Northern Ontario it's necessary to have warm leggy things! Hedgie
LindaB@7 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:00 AM
I too love the legwarmers and will do them for all 4 girls/woman in this house I just LOVE doing Cables. I did them when I first knit and nobody told me they were hard so that is how I wound up loving cables. I live in Baltimore and we don't get Knitting TV here either :-)
watja79 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:00 AM
thanx for this wonderful patterns - I love knitting & crocheting!!! but since I am living in europe I can't see the kdtv :( the leggins r soo nice - I surely knit them right after I finished my 1000's of others projects :D but since I suffer from cold feet like uberfrau13, I'll probably make socks of them too. thanx for the idea uberfrau13
watja79 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:00 AM
Hi, I love those legwarmers a lot, too. Since I suffer from cold feet like uberfrau13 (thanks for the idea!!!) I'll probably extend them to socks. I love knitting & crocheting - so I'll start rt after I finished the (1000?) projects for my neighbours & family... I live in germany and I am absolutely unable to see KDTV :(
LoisP wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:00 AM
Here I am again after finding how to download the legwarmers pattern. Do they have the instructions in words? I would have to sit down and try to figure out the graph and then put it all in words in order to knit it. Thank you that the legwarmers pattern really is free.
Mary KateM wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:00 AM
How do I download the free legwarmer pattern???
KathleenL wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:00 AM
Am so excited to see the leg warmer pattern. My hsband gets cold ankles at night so I am going to increase it to fit his ankles and make it shorter..can't wait to get started! Thanks for the help.....Kitkat
CarolynK wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:00 AM
I still can't find the pattern for the leg warmers. Please help.
GillianH wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:00 AM
Unfortunately I cannot view Knitting Daily. I reside in MN, USA. Thank you so much Knitting Daily for the downloadable patterns. You contribute so much to my knitting passion/abilities. Gillian H
ConnieR wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:00 AM
To CarolynK- there is a download link, 2 actually, in the section 113-2 of the episodes of KDTV above. click on the link and the pattern should download to your computer. Your computer will need to be able to read the download, so you will need acrobat reader to read it. Acrobat reader is a free download at their site.
MaireL wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:00 AM
love the show but stop saying we'll be right back and please have the camera from behind the demo person so we can follow excately what they are doing have you ever tried to do something from watching in amirrow
aknerr wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:00 AM
I thought I just read about this show in Interweave Knits magazine and that there were downloads of the full episodes available here??? Can't find them--guess I read wrong. I can't watch the show, but would love to be able to download them via iTunes or here--would even pay $1.99 or whatever it is they charge over at iTunes...please make this available to those of us who cannot see the show!
MaireL wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:00 AM
i would really like to know when do you use three needles and when do you use four when making socks or anything in the round and does it make a difference in the pattern LOVE the show thank you for you help
Kay@3 wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:00 AM
could anyone explain the method of cast on used for the Crumpet beret
Alehar wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:00 AM
Anyone know how to get the pattern for the "Famous Shawl" by Sela Smith discussed on Oh So fine segment? thanks ..alehar
on Jul 1, 2008 1:00 AM
Everyone, check with your local PBS TV stations. This site keeps showing that Knitting Daily TV is not currently showing in my area, too. But I accidentally found it last week on SCE-TV (South Carolina Educational TV). Since going to digital TV the station shows 3 programs at the same time and Thursday is the day I found Knitting Daily. It may be different in your area, but I hope you find it. I am so happy to have found you, Knitting Daily TV! .. Marie
Lin wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:00 AM
I stumbled across Knitting Daily on my PBS station yesterday, moments prior to the demonstration of the provisional cast-on for the Crumpet beret. I looked in the techniques section of the "Oh So Fine" pattern book, but the instructions for the provisional cast-on demonstrated on do not appear in the book. Will Interweave please publish the method used by Lisa Myers for the provisional cast-on in either their magazine or on the Knitting Daily web site?
on Jul 1, 2008 1:00 AM
I don't understand why Fiesta Yarns doesn't include pictures with their patterns. One would think they would know that is the best way to sell the yarn.
KimberlyL wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:00 AM
It would be most helpful if your website had pictures of the projects whose patterns we can download instead of pictures of the people on the show.
BonnieL wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:00 AM
GRRRR! I just spent an hour searching for a lovely scarf I saw on a recent show (it was the ballet lace) only to find that while there's a lovely picture of the girls standing at the table, the Fiesta pattern is terrible and doesn't include a picture of the scarf/shawl. Please take some of these good suggestions and improve your show. It could be SO much better in terms of real instruction, and that's what get's a girl to the shop to buy the yarn, which is the ultimate goal. I could cry right now. Bonnie
GayleA wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:00 AM
The beret pattern used a provisional cast on that was demonstrated on the show but not mentioned in the pattern. Wish we could see that again!
JudyJ wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:00 AM
Cute beret, but the pattern doesn't mention what weight the yarn is. It also doesn't tell you when to change to the smaller size circular needles.
Xia wrote
on Jul 1, 2008 1:00 AM
Thanks for the free Ballet Lace Scarf pattern. But, it would be really swell if you could provide a photo of the project, either finished or in process. I'm a beginner and I know I won't be able to make this without a photo. Love, love, LOVE the show, by the way. Too bad next week is the last time it is scheduled to be broadcast by my local PBS station (KQED in San Francisco/Northern California). Hopefully they will add it back to their broadcast schedule someday soon. Are the episodes available for viewing online? Thanks!
on Aug 17, 2009 4:13 PM

Please, please, please publish detailed step-by-step illustrations of Lisa Myers' provisional cast-on technique for the center of the Crumpet Beret in episode 113.  I recently purchased the Series 100 DVD and discovering that technique was the answer to a prayer.  I want to use this provisional cast-on for items knitted from the center outward in lieu of the figure-8 cast-on, which I seem to find impossible to execute.  For example, for the linen basket liners in The Knitter's Book of Yarn.

I have watched her demo in episode 113 multiple times and it goes so fast that I still can't get it.  Furthermore, it was shot with the camera facing her, instead of from the knitter's point of view, which makes it even more difficult to interpret.

I need sequential still pictures or drawings from the knitter's point of view, not a facing view, to follow it.  I haven't been able to find this technique described anywhere else in print or on the web.  I can't be the only one with this problem.  Help!

stelladuhon wrote
on Oct 30, 2010 7:18 AM

I cannot find thepattern, Famous Shawl, either.  I think it isn't there.

knitnuts wrote
on Aug 14, 2011 7:05 AM

is the provisional cast on that Lisa Myers demonstrated in this episode written anywhere? I tried to follow the video but I'm not good at mimicking movements that are mirror to me - just call me stupid or a gimp I don't care, would love to find a drawn diagram for the cast on. I could really use it when making circular ornaments and hats!!!!! Please someone tell me there is a series of diagrams or another mini video on You Tube.

Thanks

Knitnuts

Copyright © 2014 F+W Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.