Episode 1201 - Cables

Nov 19, 2013

Join new host of Knitting Daily TV Vickie Howell for an exciting series full of star knitters and crocheters, one-of-a-kind designs, knitting techniques, quick tips, and more!

This episode of Knitting Daily TV is all about cables – cables in the round, cables combined into stitch patterns, and working cables without a cable needle.
Watch a preview:

How-To:
On the first segment of the show, host Vickie Howell introduces Interweave Knits editor Lisa Shroyer. Lisa discusses how to work a combination cable and drop stitch pattern. Download the pattern for Alex Capshaw-Taylor's Manicouagan Pullover, featured in this episode.
Vickie is wearing the Cornhusk Pullover by Ágnes Kutas-Keresztes from Interweave Knits Fall 2013.
Sponsored by Interweave.

Space to Space:
Travel virtually to Cork, Ireland, and talk Celtic cables with Irish designer Carol Feller in her home studio.

How-To:

Next, author and designer Simona Merchant–Dest shows how to work cable patterns seamlessly. Check back soon for the free download of the cabled cowl pattern from The Art of Seamless Knitting seen on this episode!
Sponsored by
Interweave.

Tools of the Trade:
Learn about exciting cable products with Tanis Gray. On this episode Tanis shows off Softee Chunky and
 Kira K patterns for a cabled hat and crocheted shawl. Love the needle bag seen on this show? Visit Chicken Boots to grab one for yourself.

Loose Ends:
Vickie Howell wraps up this episode with a quick tip for creating cables without a cable needle.

Sponsored by Yarnspirations.

Get the entire Series 1200 of Knitting Daily TV at InterweaveStore.com

ABOUT THE SHOW: Knitting Daily TV is an exciting needle crafts how-to program on public television covering everything from knitting and crochet to stitching, felting, and spinning. The show guides viewers in learning to make fun yet smart one-of-a-kind designs using the latest products in yarn and fiber. Download free patterns, meet trendsetting knit and crochet designers, and improve or learn new skills and techniques.

Comments

kayjfreak wrote
on Jan 21, 2014 10:08 PM

I was very disappointed by this episode and the new format.  I think Vickie is pleasant and personable, but there didn't seem to be much in the way of knitting.  It felt like it was a talk show, or a magazine, but not very instructional.  It seemed as if there was only about 20 stitches knitted during the show.  If it is going to be like this from now on, I'm afraid I won't be watching much more of it.

Twinsdubz wrote
on Jan 22, 2014 5:26 PM

I personally was thrilled to see Vickie hosting the show! Loved her previous show she had. I found a vast improvement over the former series being much more relaxed  and flowing better. I felt there was easy instructions and demonstrations not rushed. Very pleased with all the changes.

Twinsdubz wrote
on Jan 22, 2014 5:27 PM

magj wrote
on Jan 24, 2014 11:46 AM

Enjoy your show and so happy NPT2 in Nashville TN finally added knit daily to their schedule.

Question on the drop stitch with cables, what do you do with the drop stitch when you get to the ribbing?  How do you finish without the ribbing coming undone?

Thanks a million. mg

magj wrote
on Jan 24, 2014 11:46 AM

Thanks a million. mg

robinmeyers wrote
on Jan 24, 2014 5:35 PM

Please get rid of the bad Skype segments.  I don't watch TV to watch bad videos.  That was really awful.

I also wondered what happens with the drop stitch when it hits the lifeline.  What a glaring omission not to cover that.

on Jan 25, 2014 12:40 PM

Where is Eunie and the yarn doctor????  Are they on another show now?

I am SAD and miss them.  Vickie did a nice job and I liked the patterns featured but WHERE IS EUNIE??

jec8of11 wrote
on Jan 25, 2014 1:51 PM

I can't say that I was disappointed but there was an awkwardness about this first episode. I used to watch Knitty Gritty and I have no doubt it will go smoother as more episodes are done. I too did not like the "skyped" portion as the sound and video quality were poor and I have a very good television.

The segment on the drop stitch cable sweater should have spoken to what happens with the life line between the rib stitch and the drop stitch portion of the sweater. Is it secured and left in, is it pulled out (this doesn't make sense). It was done in a contrasting yarn and I didn't hear this explained as I would imagine if it is left in you would use the same color.

I agree that there wasn't enough "technique" but I think that will come with time.

I will miss Eunny  and did like the old format but I am willing to give Vickie a chance as she did a great job on Knitty Gritty.

Julia

ChrisS@5 wrote
on Jan 28, 2014 5:41 PM

Where can I find a pattern for Carol Fellers Irish Cable Tunic?  It was beautiful.

craftcre8r wrote
on Jan 29, 2014 10:33 AM

Dear Knitting Daily TV:

I'm stunned.  New music (thank you), new set (attractive) and next to zero information.  The cutesy approach is not affective for knitters and crocheters.  The show was simply awful, the interview with Carol Feller -- who is so wonderful -- pointless.  The spot with Tanis Gray, brilliant yarn dyer, absolutely surreal:  hawking acrylic yarn?  Really?

This was a waste of my time.  Shame on you.  You had a great formula with great people like Eunny Jang and Clara Parkes - the guru of all things fiber.  It was fun, inspirational and I actually learned from it.  The first show of this new season was simply drivel.  Surely you have heard the saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

I will watch one more time, and then if I don't see something worth watching I will advise my local PBS station that it should be dropped.

Sincerely,

Venice Smith

craftcre8r wrote
on Jan 29, 2014 10:38 AM

This show was terrible, an insult to the evolution of information in its previous incarnation.  How foolish you were to try and "improve" something that worked so well before.  I learned nothing, found zero inspiration and was genuinely shocked to find the talented Tanis Gray (who makes such beautiful yarn herself) hawking cheap acrylic yarn.  DUMP THIS SHOW and start from square one with your previously established success and with the talent you previously had!

Melanie Ann wrote
on Feb 1, 2014 12:05 AM

I enjoy the new format, I enjoyed Vicky Howell.  If you paid attention they did say to weave the ends with the regular color yarn for the dropped stitch sweater --  pay attention people.  As for showcasing acrilic yarn - really?!?!  Is that really that's what your first show of a new season is showcasing ?!?! I mean come on not all people from the Midwest ( sorry Midwesters- I mean you no harm ) and that's all we dreamed of knitting with?? Come on -- think of something better than acrilic basic boring every day yarn!!!  Euney has gone in to bigger and better things, she in no longer the editor of Interweve Knits, let's give Miss Vicki a chance, and the show too, I think it can great!

Melanie Ann wrote
on Feb 1, 2014 12:20 AM

I enjoyed the first show for the most part...

About the Acrilic yarn though, that's what you are showcasing your first show of a new season, really?? Come on!  Tempt us, tantalize us, make us want to add to our ever growing stash, not hit the fast forward button on the remote.

With regards to the drop stitch sweater, they did mention to use the same color and to weave in the tails.

I am willing to give this show a few more episodes, the last few seasons with the exception of season 11 were kinda boring, so new host, new bits hopefully NEW life!!

Yea Vicki!!

Melanie Ann wrote
on Feb 1, 2014 12:20 AM

I enjoyed the first show for the most part...

Yea Vicki!!

JoAnn@19 wrote
on Feb 1, 2014 4:50 PM

I always loved Knitting Daily because I learned something new every episode and that says something when one has been knitting for 50 years! If the first episode is an indication of future content, I will have to find another avenue learning.

on Feb 4, 2014 4:03 PM

I was curious to watch this new series, however even though they indicated they were gonig to air them in MPT (or MPT2), all the ones I have been seeing are the old ones.  If I have to pay to see them, then forget it.  Not watching this series anymore.

cmtrankle wrote
on Feb 6, 2014 5:38 PM

I LOVE Vicki Howell and have really missed her. Now I will watch regularly. I did not like the previous show and I tried hard to like it.  Give Vicki a chance. She has a wonderful, modern approach to knitting and I enjoyed the first show.( I wish she would find the turtleneck tissue cover she had on knitty gritty once!)

I am a serious knitter but truly enjoy Vicki's slant.

jall45 wrote
on Feb 9, 2014 7:30 PM

Although I'm not an advanced knitter, I always enjoyed watching the show.  Sadly, this show was nowhere near the level I've come to enjoy.  Nothing against the host, but I was very disappointed - much too much talking, and I really, really miss watching Eunie knit.

on Feb 13, 2014 1:22 PM

I love the new show.. more more more!

on Feb 16, 2014 2:32 PM

Disappointing quality. Acrylic yarn????? Skype interviews? And where are details for the pattern holder featuted in Tools of the Trade?

on Feb 22, 2014 10:32 PM

Not to happy with the show .Really didn't like the Skype part really terrible!and not happy went to get direction for the Simona Merchant-Dest cowl because Vikki said they would be available and they are not ! seems tat happened to the last show she was on! I'm gonna give the show a couple of more times ,but right now I don't think so! I'm an Euny fan!

CathieR wrote
on Mar 11, 2014 4:49 PM

It was okay. There could have been more detail. Like about the fantastic acrylic yarn. No mention of maker or name and the front label was never shown. Whats the point of talking about a new or good product without mentioning or showing maker or product name?  I always like hearing about new, improved. Or tools for ease. I believe it can be a good spot just include maker and or product name.

tzigane99 wrote
on Mar 12, 2014 2:43 PM

I can't believe you threw out a show that engaged knitters from beginners to advanced, had a master knitter demonstrating every technique and had articulate and interesting cast members (like Clara Parks) to give us something that looks like it was made by interns. The lighting is blotchy and amateurish, the conversation inane, the direction clunky (like cutting away in mid-demo to show Howell asking yet another superficial, chatty question), the camera work wobbly and framed at strange angles, and the set busy and cheap-looking.  You even show a gray yarn with chrome needles on a gray background for your big demo - come on, a college student would know better.

The Skype segment is just one more element that makes this look cheap - I mean, really, if you are going to use Skype, at least have the host in studio so we can see one of the people in the conversation.

Bernat acrylic yarn? Can you really be more out of tune with the trends and tastes of knitters? Can you do anything more to alienate potential knitters? It's the romance of exotic fibers, artisanal put-ups and hand-dyeing mastery that hooks most of us.

You've come a long, sad way from a simple show in which Shay Pendray and company welcomed so many into a very magical pastime.  Eunny was such a great resource, and the frequent guests from sophisticated companies like Tahki Stacey Charles brought substantive content and competent demos.

The last thing most of us need in this overly electronic world is yet another empty half hour of mindless chat that barely explores a topic and certainly doesn't teach us anything.

I've asked my PBS affiliate to drop it.  I hope somebody somewhere comes up with an alternative.

kmcla67-shop wrote
on Mar 17, 2014 8:54 AM

This used to be a knitting show and it seems to have crochet, the space to space can be left out so that more knitting is shown with more instruction. It feels to rushed when going over a pattern and I would love to make the cabled cowl but the pattern still is not up. More knitting and the camera person needs to show the knitting just like the knitty cam on Vicky's previous show. Hope you can get this together a little better and the segment on items to purchase is really not that helpful and you don't mention what you are showing so I have to get online to look for name brands. Longer segments of knitting, skip the crochet and space to space. thanks.

happy knit wrote
on Mar 21, 2014 12:58 AM

Pbs had 12 seasons knitting daily program,why this latest season is not improve  than before?  Very disappointed!  Why the "space to space" image very vague? I just turn off my prerecording,don't want watch any more of this season.

jgloves wrote
on Apr 18, 2014 12:24 PM

I love Season 12! The designs shown are modern, yet classic, and Vickie seems so cool and personable. I find myself getting a lot more inspired by the knits in Season 12 than I have in the past. Techniques were definitely shown better in previous seasons, and I do miss Clara Parkes, but I don't look to Knitting Daily for technique as much as I do for inspiration and just keeping me excited about knitting. I'm really excited to try knitting a drop-stitch cable swatch so that one day I might be able to make the Manicouagan Pullover.

Thank you Vickie for breathing new life into Knitting Daily. I can't wait to see you and Tanis grow into your new roles. I look forward to Season 13!

jgloves wrote
on Apr 18, 2014 12:24 PM

cynnag wrote
on Apr 26, 2014 12:14 PM

Please bring Eunie back - this is just terrible - didn't even finish what to do with the dropped stitches on the wast yarn.  Why talk about yarn - when they don't even tell you what it is or what any of the items are - why Skype?  This gets a MI NUS STAR FOR ME

cynnag wrote
on Apr 26, 2014 12:16 PM

on May 2, 2014 11:29 AM

Interesting episode. I especially liked the inclusion of the less expensive acrylic yarn into the presentation, since not all of us can choose to spend upwards of $25 per skein for the "designer" yarns so many patterns seem to require.

on May 2, 2014 11:30 AM

on May 2, 2014 11:30 AM

Lucy@44 wrote
on May 18, 2014 8:00 PM

This comment is not about this particular episode; it is a general comment on the "new" KD shows.  I must say that I do not care for this new format.  I do not find it nearly as informative as the shows with Eunny Jang and Clara Parkes.  The cyberspace portions of the show are not informative at all and seem a waste of time when the quality of them is below par anyway.  It's just a chat session.  The section on yarns/trinkets doesn't tell anyone anything about the yarn's characteristics in the detail that Clara had done.  I don't find the new shows to be very informative.  The beginning segment is about the only piece of value.  I don't have an issues with the people involved, just don't feel enough usable information is given.  Thank you.

Lucy@44 wrote
on May 18, 2014 8:16 PM

I'm hoping this comment goes through this time.  I have to agree with most of those who have already commented on the new show format.  It is not very well put together and certainly not nearly as informative as the previous version with Eunny and Clara.  The Skype portion needs to be dropped as totally useless.  The quality of the show has been reduced to nothing more than a chatty show and not a whole lot of content about knitting technique.  I loved Clara Parkes segment so I could learn about yarns.  The segment for new products now is not much more than "here's a ball of yarn, here's a tool...back to Vicki".  I'm disappointed and am not eager to watch anymore.

gloriaanna wrote
on May 29, 2014 12:31 PM

What happened to Eunny?!  This season just doesn't do it!!

Laura wrote
on Jun 7, 2014 9:15 AM

This season finally started airing in my area, and I really enjoyed it.  Vickie is a great host, and I liked the new format.

Laura wrote
on Jun 7, 2014 9:46 AM

Black Martha wrote
on Jun 10, 2014 6:45 PM

In the lead in of the show, there is a red dress.  Is there a pattern available?

kmcla67-shop wrote
on Jun 29, 2014 9:23 PM

where is the pattern for the cabled cowl, still waiting. thanks.

Copyright © 2014 F+W Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.