Episode 1202 - Playing with Shapes

Nov 20, 2013

This episode of Knitting Daily TV is about playing with shapes – using decreases to shape garments, and using intarsia to create color blocking.
Watch a preview:

How-To:

On the first segment of the show, host Vickie Howell introduces Interweave Knits and knit.wear editor Lisa Shroyer. Lisa discusses fashion and knitting with the use of color blocking, as well as how to work intarsia and shaped intarsia. Download the pattern for Daniela Nii's Shaped-Intarsia Tunic, featured in this episode.

Vickie is wearing the Amalfi Poncho by Ann McDonald Kelly from Knitscene Fall 2013.
Sponsored by Interweave

Space to Space:
Travel virtually to the studio of Allyson Dykhuizen, the knitwear designer and teacher behind The Sweatshop of Love

How-To:

Next, Barry Kein of Trendsetter Yarns talks about shaping garments using decreases. The Swing Tunic pattern is available here!
Sponsored by
Trendsetter Yarns.

Tools of the Trade:
Learn about exciting cable products with Tanis Gray. On this episode Tanis showcases luscious yarns from The Knitting Boutique and Toluca Yarn, as well as fun and helpful stitch markers from Daydee's Doodads.

Quick Tip:
Vickie Howell wraps up this episode with a quick tip for creating waves with Chevrons.

Get the entire Series 1200 of Knitting Daily TV at InterweaveStore.com

ABOUT THE SHOW: Knitting Daily TV is an exciting needle crafts how-to program on public television covering everything from knitting and crochet to stitching, felting, and spinning. The show guides viewers in learning to make fun yet smart one-of-a-kind designs using the latest products in yarn and fiber. Download free patterns, meet trendsetting knit and crochet designers, and improve or learn new skills and techniques.

Comments

denvervet wrote
on Jan 27, 2014 6:39 PM

Are you kidding me?  First of all this show drags............its boring.  But, who in their right mind would make a poncho that looks like their grandmother's afghan?  What the heck was she thinking?  Its ugly.  Where is Euni?  Please bring her back now!  This host has some really funky designs that are just not anything anyone would really want to wear, I have taken all her book out of the library, way too funky and not even trendy, not mainstream at all.  What about the lady on YouTube "Very Pink Knits" was she even considered to host?  You would have had a goldmine with her!

denvervet wrote
on Jan 27, 2014 6:40 PM

410Creations wrote
on Jan 31, 2014 4:00 AM

I too think the designs are too out there. I can't understand what she says especially in the skype segments. I have stored most prior shows on my DVR for reference, but have deleted both of the new shows for lack of needed content.

Khatya wrote
on Feb 1, 2014 11:59 AM

I've been enjoying the new format, myself, and enjoy the fresh designs we're seeing. I suspect that the Skype segments mean that they don't have to wait for the big conventions to interview their guests and is no doubt cheaper...I like the variety of guests and don't mind sacrificing a bit of video quality to hear from fiber-folk we might not get to otherwise.

(To each his own, but I love that poncho!)

LGDragon wrote
on Feb 3, 2014 7:28 PM

Would  like the patter for the OTHER swing tunic featured on in this show, but having trouble finding it on the Trendsetter site. SIGH.  Not loving this host, but perhaps it is because she seems to be openly hitting on the female guests. OR was that just ME?

thatpricekid wrote
on Feb 6, 2014 4:41 PM

This show sucked lemons before. I tried several times but it was so boring and I didn't learn a single thing, because you could never see anything and they knitted so fast you couldn't make it out, plus they talked so freaking low that it sounded like mumbling. Vickie Howell is amazing, I finally saw someone crochet at a speed and camera shot that a beginner or someone interested in starting would like to see, mainly me. When showing the blocking method it was shown up close and showed more than once for a nice change. Keep up the great job.

connie 9788 wrote
on Feb 21, 2014 4:27 PM

Please tell me to get pattern for allison dykuizen granny square pull over  in the past all projects on show were free  patterns..please respond where to find..i have not been able to locate ..love the new show and host..on with the new..change is good...forward to twins9788@aol.com.  thank you

on Mar 17, 2014 7:39 PM

Yikes. I've never fast-forwarded through an episode so much before because why go over something everyone already knows TWICE. That could have been an extra instruction or segment! Also, ICK to the Skype with Hollaknits, hearing her voice on TV was disturbing. Some people and phrases are better left OFF AIR. I don't care if Vicki and Allison are best crafty friends forever. I almost VOMITED. I will no longer be DVR'ing this tv show - I'm not learning a thing, it's become a waste of my time. I'm so beyond disappointed that more information is not covered in replacement of some of the pointless conversation that has nothing to do with knitting. :(

Celeste@12 wrote
on Mar 19, 2014 10:42 AM

Because I'm persistent and really wanted to find it, I managed to turn up the other tunic on Barry Klein's segment. (Hey! Anyone notice his name is misspelled in the description?!?)  It's available on the Trendsetter website under Pattern Series 4702 - the Ballerina Pullover.

Copyright © 2014 F+W Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.