Episode 1203 - Charity Knitting

Nov 20, 2013

In this episode of Knitting Daily TV, learn all about charity knitting, including good projects you can make, excellent yarn ideas, and helpful tools for knitting for charity.
Watch a preview:

How-To:

On the first segment of the show, host Vickie Howell introduces Laura Zander of Jimmy Beans Wool, who talks about her book, Knit Red. Download the pattern for the Snowboarder Hat, by Olympic snowboarder Lindsey Jacobellis, featured in this episode.
Vickie is wearing the Crinoline Tee, by Andrea Babb, from Interweave Knits Fall 2013.
Sponsored by Jimmy Beans Wool

Space to Space:
Travel virtually to the studio of Mary Colucci, executive director of both the Craft Yarn Council of America and the Warm Up America! Foundation.

How-To:

Next, Julia Madill from Spinrite explains the technique used to make mitered Granny Squares. Download the pattern for the Puzzle Blocks Baby Blanket, as seen on this episode!

Julia is wearing Patons' Slash Sleeve Sweater.

Sponsored by Yarnspirations.

Tools of the Trade:
Learn about ideal products for charity knitting with Tanis Gray. On this episode Tanis talks about Simply Soft Yarn from Caron, Denise Interchangeable Needles and stitch markers from A Needle Runs Through It.

Get the entire Series 1200 of Knitting Daily TV at InterweaveStore.com

ABOUT THE SHOW: Knitting Daily TV is an exciting needle crafts how-to program on public television covering everything from knitting and crochet to stitching, felting, and spinning. The show guides viewers in learning to make fun yet smart one-of-a-kind designs using the latest products in yarn and fiber. Download free patterns, meet trendsetting knit and crochet designers, and improve or learn new skills and techniques.

Comments

Rhoda Fry wrote
on Feb 8, 2014 12:44 PM

I enjoyed the segment all together but I also liked Julia's Sweater she had on. I Wanted to say how happy I am to see Vickie on here now. I was really bummed when  the other channels had gotten rid of her show. Thank you for bringing her on here.

carolmemom wrote
on Feb 9, 2014 10:27 AM

Can someone clarify the comments about knitting helmet liners for the military.  I was told to only use pure wool, even though it is not easily washable.  The acrylic fibers will melt and are therefore not suitable for wear under a helmet right next to the skin.  Thank you.

CraftyLaurie wrote
on Feb 11, 2014 12:28 PM

I am enjoying the new format.  I can't wait to try the granny square pattern that Julia deomonstrated.  I also love her sweater, I think my daughter would love it.  Can you please tell me where I can purchase the pattern.  It is so hard to find knitting sweater patterns that she likes.  I would love to make it for her.

hillmp wrote
on Feb 22, 2014 1:28 AM

Helmet liners MUST be knit from wool because it keeps the person warm even when wet and will not melt onto the skin if the person is caught in an explosion or fire.

If you were making these for family members to wear in winter you could choose the fiber you wish, but to donate to our troops over seas, they must be wool.

spring2012 wrote
on Feb 22, 2014 2:53 PM

I NEED the pattern of the sweater Julie Madill had on ...please direct me to it.

spring2012 wrote
on Feb 22, 2014 2:56 PM

I NEED the pattern to the sweater Julie Madill had on...please direct me to where I can get it.

Sue

Camas Lily wrote
on Feb 23, 2014 2:54 AM

Pattern Help: Snowboarders Hat:

Row 4 doesn't seem to be complete. It says to "Purl 1, slipping markers". What do you do with the remaining 80 plus stiches in Row 4?

Row 4 P1, slipping markers. Rep rows 1–4 twice more.

Next (dec) row (RS) K1, sl marker, knit to next marker, dec 9

(8) sts evenly spaced, end sl marker, k1—72 (79) sts. Keeping

1 st each side in St st (knit on RS, purl onWS) for selvage sts, cont

to work even in garter st over rem sts for 3 rows.

CROWN SHAPING

mamagriz wrote
on Feb 26, 2014 6:16 PM

I love that you are back.  I watched Julia Madill make the Granny Squares.  But I have a question about her beautiful sweater.  Did she made it?  Is there a pattern?  Thanks

Jojo

Burbankree wrote
on Mar 3, 2014 12:42 PM

I want the pattern to Julia's Sweater, Please.

OH! I love the block patten, I'm going to use up my left over yarn. Worked up three blocks with no effort as all.

and last but not least, Vickie so glad to see you back, really missed you.

Eunny did a great job and I will miss her, I know she will do well.

phensel wrote
on Apr 10, 2014 2:31 PM

PLEASE post the pattern for Julia's sweater!

gigibrand wrote
on Apr 29, 2014 4:26 PM

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE post or show us the link for Julia's yellow sweater.  It is soo cool and gorgeous!!

on May 6, 2014 2:35 PM

I cannot seem to find the pattern for the charity hat that was knitted on May 5, 2014 show by Laura Zander.

crocargyle wrote
on May 10, 2014 1:24 PM

Another request for Julie's sweater!  I want to buy the pattern!  I want to buy the yarn!

Wearing great designs and posting the information as a sidebar to the show is a great way to increase your customer base and sales.  Especially if people are buying these DVDs to watch over and over.  They're bound to see something they like.  You have our undivided attention; give the people what they want?

:D

Thanks!

Burbankree wrote
on Jun 27, 2014 3:58 PM

Yarnspirations just posted a free pattern for Julia's sweater.

is anybody as excited and I am?

www.yarnspirations.com/.../WEB-P-DEN-SlashSleeveSweater.pdf

on Jul 22, 2014 5:36 PM

How do I get the granny square pattern shown oj the show july 19th?

on Jul 22, 2014 5:41 PM

I can not find the pattern for the blocks granny squares in episode 1203.  Please help me!

Copyright © 2014 F+W Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.