Episode 1207 - Historical Knitting

Dec 11, 2013

This episode of Knitting Daily TV with Vickie Howell is about knitting items from the Downton Abbey era.

Watch a preview:

How-To:

On the first segment of the show, host Vickie Howell introduces author and designer Andrea Jurgrau. Download the pattern for her For High Tea: Cuffs and Jabot, from The Unofficial Downton Abbey Knits.

Sponsored by Interweave

Space to Space:
Travel virtually to the office of Sockupied editor Anne Merrow, as she and Vickie discuss their love of all things sock related.

How-To:

Next, Vickie continues talking with Andrea Jurgrau. In this segment learn about creating a Crocheted Bind-Off. Download the pattern for her Dandelion Doily.
Sponsored by Interweave.

Tools of the Trade:
Learn about new and exciting products with Tanis Gray. On this episode Tanis talks about Michael & Sheila Ernst's Circular Knitting Needles, as well as Spinning Mermaid Fibers and Halcyon Yarn.

Quick Tip:
Vickie Howell wraps up this episode with a quick demonstration of Kitchener stitch, an incredibly helpful stitch every knitter should have in her or his repertoire.

Get the entire Series 1200 of Knitting Daily TV with Vickie Howell at InterweaveStore.com

ABOUT THE SHOW: Knitting Daily TV with Vickie Howell is an exciting needle crafts how-to program on public television covering everything from knitting and crochet to stitching, felting, and spinning. The show guides viewers in learning to make fun yet smart one-of-a-kind designs using the latest products in yarn and fiber. Download free patterns, meet trendsetting knit and crochet designers, and improve or learn new skills and techniques.

Comments

KatCanYes wrote
on Dec 21, 2013 11:05 PM

I don't see any place to contact the makers of this show; so, I'm posting my observations and grievances here.  Not really liking this new series at all...  Sooo many core issues are wrong with it like, not having the camera focused on the stitching and samples being far out of the frame, not to mention instructions of the method being taught are not clear enough to understand what exactly it is they're trying to teach you.  I find it very frustrating to watch and have shut it off the last three times I tried watching it.  I come away with having learned nothing and being really disappointed.  It was such a useful, quality program before now.  I'd really be surprised if the show maintains a following.  If you need an additional consultant to review the episodes before going live, I'm available and would absolutely love the job!  Thank you for considering my comments.

Mrs Nicky wrote
on Jan 22, 2014 10:49 PM

I know that it is early in the show schedule BUT I miss Eunie Jang.  She became a special friend and I miss having her stop in for a visit via your show.

Besides being such an accomplished host and guide, she was such a sweet, nice person.  And it is her company I miss regardless of the topic.

For your demographics-- I am 80 +, female, widowed and have been crafting over the years in every area of handcrafting since I was 5 or so expanding crafting to include (for me) stained glass, basketry, ceramics and calligraphy.  Still have weaving on a floor loom, quilling (not quilting that I have enjoyed for years) and sashiko to explore.  I am acquiring  history, books, tools, threads and material for sashiko projects to try this coming year.

Bobbi Jung wrote
on Mar 1, 2014 5:10 PM

I am in complete agreement with KatCanYes who posted on 12/21/13.  I have not commented on the new series with Vicki Howell as I wanted to give it a chance to hopefully improve.  I haven't seen anything of value as of episode 1206.  My PBS station is airing it once a week and reruns of previous series the other four days.  I was told about the show by a friend who I only see infrequently.  I started watching and have loved it.  I am a "senior" and have been knitting for many years.  But apparently was only knitting "more of the same".  I have learned so many new things on the show.  But this one has shown me nothing.  I think the camera person should be fired.  Something is being demonstrated and the camera is focused on the person's face instead of the knitting.

The Space to Space segment is a complete waste of time and I am already tired of hearing how the person being interviewed is Vicki's " special friend".  The segment with the Tools is a complete waste of time also.  Again for me.

All in all I do not like the entire show.  So I will continue to enjoy the reruns.  Please bring back Eunny or some other person capable person.

on Mar 3, 2014 1:56 AM

I too am so disappointed with this new format.  It is "shoddy."  The camera does not focus on the work being done, so what is the point?  And Vicki truly does not seem interested in the craft of it, merely in the trendiness of it.  This is an insult to viewers.  If we were only interested in the fashion aspect of it, we would just go purchase the item or style, but we are craftspeople wanting to truly learn and add to our skill.  This show is a tease, without the care and preparation that was so evident in the show when Eunny was the host.  I am most distrubed by Vicki's lack of real engagement with the guests or the skill being taught, it is like she is watching the clock or her reflection in the mirror as she wears an item, or thinks about how nifty it would be to wear it.  How can you take a show that worked so well and was so professional, and weakened it in every aspect?

The Space To Space segment is completely useless, and so over the top trendy without offering anything of substance.  It seems as if the new show is designed to jettison everyone over the age of 29 and hope to attract a whole different group of viewers, but really, who are these potential new viewers?  They can't be learning anything with the flimsy preparation and approach, and Vicki's eyes roaming on the clock or mirror, and not on the person going to such pains to show something significant.  It feels so extremely "dumbed down."

The episode with the vintage knits and the beautiful pale pink scarf and wristlets with beads, the creation of the doilies and the skill of blocking them had the potential to offer some genuine skills and ideas, but again Vicki's lack of interest bordering on rudeness got in the way.  It was so fake.   I felt a strong need to apologize to the guest for Vicki's lack of real interest in the skills the guest was trying to show with such care.   I truly don't understand how the creators of the show could take a professional, substantial show and replace it with something so  inferior.

Twinsdubz wrote
on Mar 4, 2014 7:10 PM

I really like the new format and feel Vikki just tries to keep the guests on "target" on the demonstrations. Prefer it over the other show being distracting by showing how fast they can knit or crochet while talking. That was very difficult for me to keep my attention on what they were doing and had to watch the shows a second time. But everyone has their own preference on what works for them. Camera could do a better job on focusing.

Twinsdubz wrote
on Mar 4, 2014 7:10 PM

MollyM@7 wrote
on Mar 5, 2014 9:40 PM

I too find myself unhappy with the new format. I think the "Tools of the Trade" segments are frankly infuriating. Why would you "share" information about yarn, needles, etc. and not provide brand names and other pertinent information about possibly purchasing these items? The web site doesn't help so I'm left wondering what that beautiful yarn is.

NancyB@13 wrote
on Mar 6, 2014 3:41 PM

I agree with KatCanYes.  I also miss Eunie Jang. I have become disinteresed in the show.  Some additional changes need to be made...

MellaneB wrote
on Mar 7, 2014 1:40 PM

I have to say I am truly disappointed with the new series.  In the first episode there was a Skype where the designer held her sweater up to the camera so show us a close-up.  All that showed up on TV was a black blob.  Previous years the camera would show us close-ups.  It was explained in detail and was an inspiration.  That show did not inspire.

Skype is not a friend to humans.  It distorts faces.  Trash the Skype.  Its doesn't work.

In every single show the camera is either too far away or they cut to the people view.  I don't care what someone looks like.  I don't care who your good friend are.   I'm trying to learn.  This has never been an issue before.

Show 1207 is the first show I have watched the whole way through.  That was only because I really liked Andrea's project.  A little more time with her project and a little less chit-chat would have been appreciated.

This series is like going back to a high school production.  Nothing seems to be well thought out.

Please listen to the viewers and learn.  Do your homework.  You are loosing your support.

VicRose wrote
on Mar 8, 2014 3:12 PM

I agree with many of these posts stating the show has gone backward in quality. I love lace knitting and would have preferred to see more techniques in the episode 1207. Please listen to our comments and make some changes.

jeveenglish wrote
on Mar 10, 2014 10:33 AM

Hi Vicky and Andrea,

I was traveling through Amsterdam, working on a very large silk and baby alpaca lace shawl and was inspired to add beads to the bottom 1/4 of the pattern.  When I realized I didn't have any beading tool or hook with me.  I purchased some light weight wooden beads in a square shape with a size 10 hole in them, thinking that would be enough space for two strands of yarn to pass.  Instead of a hook, I used a 4-5 inch piece of jewelry wire (med fine)  so that when the wire was folded in half it could pass easily through the bead.  At each location for the bead, I did the same technique as Andrea, slipping the loop of the stitch onto my working needle (right hand), but instead of using a hook (which I couldn't find small enough) I used my wire.  I fed one end of the wire through the stitch loop, then placing the bead on the two ends of my folded wire, slipping the bead down the wires and onto the yarn loop.  I then placed the stitch back on to my left needle and worked it in pattern.  I hope this helps with an easy (bead needle , when you can't find or afford one) use a wire.  :)

Janet English

Bremerton, WA

rgmac23 wrote
on Mar 17, 2014 3:41 PM

I usually do not post comments, but I am in agreement with these ladies. I loved the show up till this newest series. I also fine myself SO frustrated with the POOR camera work, not enough time showing techniques, all the concentration on the people as opposed to the project itself. Eunny was a wonderful host, always took the needed time to show the steps, with close ups of the technique’s. I would have enjoyed the 207 episode myself, but I had NO IDEA what the lady was doing to join those two pieces with the “Portuguese “needles because I could NOT SEE IT. Eunnny would have done that with worsted weight yarn so the viewers could see this. And I DO NOT enjoy the “Space to Space” at all! What in the world is the purpose of that? For years this was the only knitting program with quality, now you have lost it. I hope you improve the show before it’s too late.  I watched Vickie on Knitty Gritty for years, that program was basically filmed in the same manner. A very dissatisfied viewer, about to give it up!

rgmac23 wrote
on Mar 17, 2014 3:44 PM

I usually do not post comments, but I am in agreement with these ladies. I loved the show up till this newest series. I also fine myself SO frustrated with the POOR camera work, not enough time showing techniques, all the concentration on the people as opposed to the project itself. Eunny was a wonderful host, always took the needed time to show the steps, with close ups of the technique’s. I would have enjoyed the 207 episode myself, but I had NO IDEA what the lady was doing to join those two pieces with those “Portuguese “needles because I could NOT SEE IT. Eunny would have done that with worsted weight yarn so the viewers could see this. And I DO NOT enjoy the “Space to Space” at all! What in the world is the purpose of that? For years this was the only knitting program with quality, now you have lost it. I hope you improve the show before it’s too late.  I watched Vickie on Knitty Gritty for years, that program was basically filmed in the same manner. A very dissatisfied viewer, about to give it up!

on Mar 18, 2014 5:58 PM

I've never posted a comment on this site before but I have to say something.  I don’t like the new series.

I don’t think I’ve seen Vickie Howell pick up knitting needles or crochet hooks yet.  In the old series it was so great to watch Eunie Jang demonstrate a new and unique knitting technique or project.  I’m more into crochet than knitting but watching Eunie demonstrate, I would get really excited to try the knitting projects she showed.  Eunie showed a short row scarf project in one episode that I couldn’t wait to try – which is really saying something because short rows make me nervous.  And I did make a beautiful short row scarf in greens and blues (thank you Eunie).

I also don’t like how the new series almost completely ignore crochet.  I know it’s called “Knitting Daily” but I always liked how they used to give time to crochet.  The new series almost completely ignores crochet.  To be fair, they did have a very interesting segment on a granny square that starts in the corner instead of the center.  That’s inspired me to experiment so I can create my own version.

The “Space To Space” segment is a waste of space.  They basically take time to gush about how wonderful the guest is and then gloss over (really quickly) whatever it is they do.

The problem with the show is that it’s shallow.  It breezes over things too quickly and doesn’t go in depth or detail.  Knitting and crocheting are crafts.  Crafts take time and technique.  The new series doesn’t take time so instead of inspiring (like the old series did), it frustrates.

And please, please get rid of that discordant music!

JoAnn@19 wrote
on Mar 22, 2014 1:09 PM

I am disappointed that I no longer have a knitting show that I love to watch.  I continued to watch the new season of Knitting Daily hoping it would at some point meet the standard set by Euny and company but alas it doesn't look like that will ever happen. The new show embodies all the trendiness that turns off passionate knitters. I regret feeling the need to post these negative comments, but I feel as if I have lost a good friend.

Tooty wrote
on Mar 22, 2014 1:58 PM

She didn't demonstrate the Kitchener Stitch at the end.  She showed how to crochet a lace border onto a fabric square.

RevNana wrote
on Mar 23, 2014 11:32 PM

I have to agree with most of these folks. I miss Eunie Jang and the format and content of that series. And, like so many others who have commented here, I am so disappointed with the current series.

Vickie Howell is capable of doing better work.  Several years ago she hosted a program with content and decent camera work. Either her abilities are wasted here or she has lost her skill.

I suspect that the viewer who suggested that you are trying to attract a younger demographic is right. But this may not be such a great idea. Do you really think those 20-somethings have the funds. the interest, the skills, and the desire to work with the higher quality luxury yarns? The ones I know are using acrylic and looking for the cheapest price. They are more interested in quick and easy than in new stitches and techniques.The folks I know who work with wool, alpaca, silk, etc.and who are interested in trying new techniques are the middle-aged and young senior  career, early retired, and empty-nest folks.

I feel strongly that without a major revamp very soon, you will lose much of your audience. And once they are lost, it is extremely hard to win them back.

Copyright © 2014 F+W Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.