Episode 1301 - Nature Knits

Jul 21, 2014

This episode of Telly award-winning Knitting Daily TV with Vickie Howell is about connecting with nature - gaining inspiration from the rich textures and colors found in the natural world around us.

For all the products and patterns featured on this season of Knitting Daily TV with Vickie Howell, visit our Pinterest boards.

Vickie's dress compliments of Modcloth.

Watch a Preview

How-To:

In the first segment, host Vickie Howell meets with Anne Hanson of Knitspot and Bare Naked Wools to talk about how the character of wool can change the finished project.

Download the pattern for Anne Hanson’s Slouch Potato Hat.

Sponsored by Knit Spot.

Space to Space:

Travel virtually to the studio of Lara Watson, editor of Mollie Makes, and discuss the crafty trend of woodland creatures.

How-To:

Heather Zoppetti demonstrates how to create beautiful nature-inspired lace motifs, such as leaves and vines.

Download the pattern for Heather Zoppetti’s Clematis Tunic.

Sponsored by Interweave Books.

Tools of the Trade:

Learn about products from natural materials with Tanis Gray. On this episode Tanis showcases products from:

Shawl Sticks from Indian Lake Artisans

Knightsbridge Yarn from Kelbourne Woolens

Cable Needles from Lantern Moon

Wool Tree Mill

Stone buttons from Madeforfun on Etsy

Wooden Knitting Bobbins from Brush Creek Wood Works

Water Buffalo Bone DPNs from Fringe Supply Co.

Loose Ends:

Vickie Howell wraps up this episode with a technique for starting a flat circle in crochet, called magic ring. Use this technique to start a crocheted Foxy basket.

Sponsored by Yarnspirations.

Get the entire Series 1300 of Knitting Daily TV at Interweavestore.com

ABOUT THE SHOW: Knitting Daily TV with Vickie Howell is an exciting needle crafts how-to program on public television covering everything from knitting and crochet to stitching, and beyond. The show introduces viewers to designers, authors and teachers and guides in learning new techniques using the latest products in yarn and fiber. Download free patterns, meet trendsetting knit and crochet designers, and improve or learn new skills and techniques.

Comments

on Jul 23, 2014 9:30 AM

I thought the Clematis Tunic would be a FREE pattern like the other two on the show.

8Barbara8 wrote
on Jul 26, 2014 1:55 AM

Clematics Tunic pattern is supposed to be a free download.

on Jul 26, 2014 12:28 PM

On the show of Episode 1301, Vickie said that the Clemantics Tunic pattern would be a free download.  I just went to download it and it costs $$ -- what a disappointment.  I was so excited - now I can't afford it.  Misrepresented!!!!

on Jul 26, 2014 12:28 PM

DorothyC@4 wrote
on Jul 27, 2014 3:21 PM

don't promote patterns on the show that are not free very disappointed the clematis tunic is not FREE.

DorothyC@4 wrote
on Jul 27, 2014 3:21 PM

lydagrace wrote
on Jul 28, 2014 2:38 PM

I printed out the slouch hat, I'm excited. But I was hoping to see again how Anne was casting on the way her grandmother showed her. It was so unique. I searched her site also, I know I'm crazy, I just like to learn different things.

mrsmousefan wrote
on Jul 29, 2014 8:46 PM

The 'new' show with host Vickie Howell, has a lot to be desired from the 'old' format with host Enny Jang.  First: And formost Why must the show tie Tanis' hands behind her back with out being able to name the company of the products she is tring to  help us viewers with????   I find that extremely annoying myself, and could only believe it to be true for Tanis.  Secondly:  Why on Earth do we need a 'Cyber-Anything' on a knitting/crochet  technique type of show.  Would it not be more educational to actually show more stitch and techniques, instead of the chat-fest that really does nothing for teaching???  For the record the 'old' show with Eunny  was only do-able because of the other three ladies she had with her, namely; Shay Pendray, Kristin Omdahl & Clara Parkes

mrsmousefan wrote
on Jul 29, 2014 8:47 PM

johnsjeanne wrote
on Aug 2, 2014 10:44 AM

I agree...less chatter, more instruction please.  And I, too, was disappointed that the clematis tunic was not free.  And where is the pattern for the medallion back cardigan?

ZoeOB wrote
on Aug 4, 2014 10:37 AM

I have subscribed to Interweave Knits from the first issue and later added Interweave Crochet and the Knitting Daily DVDs to my collection. While I understand the need to keep up with the times and draw a younger crowd, the program and publications just don't seem to have the same level of quality or expertise anymore. Vicky Howell is cute and personable yet one gets the sense the segments are rushed. Some of the guests don't even appear to be competent in the area they are supposed to discuss. (For the record, "Fair Isle" is a very specific type of knitting with very specific origins. Calling any two color knitting "Fair Isle" isn't correct. Cowichan knitting tradition is not based on Norwegian knitting as the guest explained either. It was also painful listening to the "explanation" of double knitting from a magazine editor. The assumption is a certain level of competency has been reached.) As others have noted, the whole cyber chat business is just filler best used to explore the techniques further. Voice and video quality is so choppy, I found myself just fast forwarding by the fourth segment. It's also annoying to bring on a guest to demonstrate something only to have Vicky go over it again at the end of the program - and not always clearly - thus it adds no value. Guests with extensive experience in the industry don't appear to be given enough time as samples are pushed to the side in an effort to "get on with it". (Kudos to Lily Chin for handling her few minutes so expertly.) I too miss the original hosts and format. It was by far much more professional and educational. Hopefully management is really listening to the subscribers and viewers as it would be unfortunate to lose another craft-based program in the hopes of keeping things "hip".

LindsaySmith wrote
on Aug 4, 2014 5:59 PM

Thank you for letting us know about this problem, and apologies for the mistake and inconvenience. The Clematis Tunic is now listed as a free pattern to viewers. Please click the link above for your free download. This site is under construction - please bear with us! Thank you, Lindsay

kcrochet wrote
on Aug 24, 2014 5:14 PM

The description under Loose Ends is wrong.  She is not showing the knit technique "magic loop".  She's showing the CROCHET technique "magic ring".

Enjoy the show and I note that the descriptions under Tools are better now.  Thanks.

daj48 wrote
on Aug 26, 2014 2:17 PM

I hope this goes to the right person.  I totally agree with the comments regarding the new format for the show.  I find it rushed with little in depth educational information.  The space to space segment is vapid and provides little information.  Techniques are talked about but the minuscule demonstration doesn't help.  I go to Knitting Daily to review old techniques and get challenged to learn more.  I often go to the Interweave Store site and make purchases because of the show.  I think it is time to step back and review.

LynnG@5 wrote
on Sep 10, 2014 1:43 PM

Why do you take up time to do space to space??? very boring, learning about knitting stitches, different cast on or bind off techniques, or even knitting hints would be so much better. Very disappointed in the new series.

dsimpson56 wrote
on Sep 13, 2014 11:55 AM

Sorry, management, but I completely agree with the "disappointment" of this knitting show.  The lack of professionalism does not help the knitter; no matter what age.  Someone who is actually interested in knitting will not need to be lured in to the show by means of being "hip".  Knitters, like other crafters, need the basic foundational instruction and then they will explore being creative in their style.  I imagine that Vickie Howell is a very nice person but not someone skilled, nor comfortable, in front an audience (camera).  The guests, with a couple of exceptions, also seem uncomfortable while speaking on their area of expertise (in other words; lots of "umm's").  Just because someone has a skill does not conclude they can communicate/teach effectively.  Chiming in with the others - I miss Eunny, Shay, Kristin and Clara.  I will be contacting my local station to see if they will look into airing another knitting show.  I believe "Knit and Crochet Now" is out of Chicago.  Sorry.

on Sep 13, 2014 7:24 PM

Where can I find the pattern for the lace knit round shawl?

Cruznbuddy wrote
on Oct 5, 2014 4:23 PM

There was a demo of a lace stitch - where can I find that

mcrae wrote
on Oct 26, 2014 9:13 PM

Hello I was wondering if you can get the pattern on the door draft stopper that was shown on the space to space segment on series show 1301. I believe it looked like a fox. please and thank-you.

mcrae wrote
on Oct 26, 2014 9:14 PM

viraheta wrote
on Nov 19, 2014 6:33 PM

I am also looking for a pattern (or even clarification) on the lace stitch that was shown in this episode. It seems that we were given only the instruction on the first row, but what happens on the next row? Can you give us even a link towards the pattern, the author, or something? somewhere? somebody? anybody?

Copyright © 2015 F+W Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.