Episode 401 - Fearless Knitting and Crochet

Jan 14, 2010

The goal of this season of Knitting Daily TV is to develop your skills and deepen your understanding of how yarn becomes fabric. In episode 401 you will be encouraged to try new techniques as you embark on a road to fearless knitting and crocheting.

Preview Episode 401

Back to Basics:
Eunny demonstrates how to rip out your knit stitches and unknit so you can fix knitting mistakes easily and painlessly.
Download more tips and tricks to become a better knitter.

Designer Spotlight:
Meet Adina Klein who encourages knitters to knit baby knits as a way to test new techniques: they're small, there's no need for exact fit, and the baby will never notice small mistakes. Download the Raspberry Swirl Baby Beret pattern, from Tahki Stacy Charles.

Crochet Corner:
Join crochet expert Kristin Omdahl for the first installment of "Crochet Corner," a segment dedicated to learning crochet. Begin with the basics: how to hold a hook, the types of knots for starting a chain, and the very basic chain stitch. Download the pattern for the Crochet Dandy Dishclothes, from Coats and Clark and Redheart Yarn.

How-to:
Eunny is joined by Barry Klein from Trendsetter Yarns and Laura Bryant from Prism Arts, Inc. with advice for how to overcome your knitting fears. They'll give you secrets for solving fit issues as well as tips for avoiding running out of yarn. Download the pattern for the children's sweater, a classic and basic design that can be spiced up with buttons and embellishments. And downloads tips for casting-on, a method that will help you become a fearless knitter.

Get the entire Series 400 of Knitting Daily TV on a 4-Disc DVD Collection! Click here to purchase DVDs of this season or previous seasons of Knitting Daily TV.

ABOUT THE SHOW: Knitting Daily TV is an exciting needle crafts how-to program on public television covering everything from knitting and crochet to stitching, felting, and spinning. The show guides viewers in learning to make fun yet smart one-of-a-kind designs using the latest products in yarn and fiber. Download free patterns, meet trendsetting knit and crochet designers, and improve or learn new skills and techniques.

Click here to find the PBS station nearest you airing the program. (You can enter your zip code or click "view all schedules/get listings" to see all the cities that air the show and when.)

Knitting Daily TV is airing on PBS stations nationwide and new markets are being added to the schedule all the time. Each individual public television station chooses when and if to air the program. If it is not airing in your local market, please call, write, or email and let them that know you are a viewer of the station and would like to see Knitting Daily TV. You can help bring Knitting Daily TV to your local PBS Station. Thank you!

Comments

bmorgan wrote
on Feb 12, 2010 12:41 PM

I'm curious about one of the baby blankets showed in episode 401.  I believe she called it entre-lock, but I find find anything under that name.  It was the baby blanket with blocks set on the diagonal and she showed it used again in the skirt of a baby dress.  Can you help me find information about this technique?

azhtigri wrote
on Feb 17, 2010 5:41 PM

I am very interested in directions for the raglan sweater knit from the top down, but I can't find them anywhere.  Can anyone help?  Thanks -M

kaycrochet wrote
on Feb 21, 2010 3:07 PM

I enjoyed this episode, with very helpful basic information.  Kristin Omdahl is a great addition to the cast.  Even though the crochet segment was short, it was very informative.

bmorgan, the technique you want to search for  is entrelac.

on Mar 27, 2010 2:21 PM

I loved the crocheted shawl that Kristin was wearing...is the pattern available?

Janice Hewett

jlhewett@stny.rr.com

mbmacha wrote
on Apr 4, 2010 3:15 PM

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHERE TO GET THE PATTERN FOR THE LOG CABIN BABY PATTERN.

michlemachala@gmail.com

on Apr 7, 2010 11:08 AM

I greatly enjoy the show very much, especially the new segment with Kristin Omdahl. It would be great if a step by step learn to crochet dvd were made available for purchase containing her segments.

cathy@65 wrote
on Apr 19, 2010 7:45 AM

I too am very interested in the shawl pattern that Kristin Omdahl was wearing on episode 401.  Where can I get it?

I would like to learn to crochet.  I can do most of the stitches following written directions.  My problem is where to connect to the piece when changing to a different stitch.  I hope Kristin's instructions on that are as clear as her initial introduction.

Thanks!  I love your show!!!!!!!!!!

DaisySue wrote
on Apr 23, 2010 7:03 AM

Please have a show (or series) on machine knitting.  Non-electric as well as electric. Would love you forever.

Love the show and have learned much.  Thank you!

Brenda

Pat J. wrote
on Apr 25, 2010 8:57 AM

I also am unable to find the pattern for the entre-lac baby blanket that was shown.  Anybody else find it?  I've called and emailed Interweave with no luck.   HELP!!!!

on Apr 25, 2010 11:45 AM

How do I get the pattern for the block baby blanket shown on episode 401?    thanks,Jeanne McCloskey

RuthD@9 wrote
on Jun 11, 2010 9:23 PM

I would like the crochet pattern for the bag made of various colored blocks seen on June 11 program.  It was done in 4 bottom blocks sc and was a drawstring bag.  I'm afraid I didn't get the number of the show but it was the one showing knitted stripes.   Thanks

RuthD@9 wrote
on Jun 11, 2010 9:23 PM

zummatwo wrote
on Jan 3, 2011 12:16 PM

Page 2 of the children's sweater download is blank.  Please update your website. Thanks.

on Jan 6, 2011 3:28 PM

I loved the cute baby sweaters, hats etc in the interview with Adina Klein in episode 401.  The colors and designs were so precious.  Can you tell me if they are in a book and what is the name of the book and where can I find the book?  Great show - I love to watch knitting daily tv!!!

Arlene

alradd1 wrote
on Jan 19, 2011 6:45 AM

I love the show and find it incredibly helpful but since the new season started I end up turning the show off shortly after it starts.  For some reason there is a male computer sounding voice speaking over the segments telling what is happening or what is about to happen.  The biggest problem with this, other than it just being annoying, is that frequently the voice is speaking at the same time Eunny or others speak so whatever the segment is trying to teach is completely lost.  I am not sure what to do to bring this to the show's attention so they can get it turned off.  Any suggestions?

on Aug 29, 2013 5:08 PM

This week I shipped a large box to Cleveland for next week’s filming of Knitting Daily TV . When

Copyright © 2014 F+W Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.