Episode 412 - On the Edge

Jan 22, 2010

In this episode of Knitting Daily TV you are taken to the edge – that is, the perfect finish or edge for your cuffs or hems. Edgings can create a signature look to any knit or crochet project.

Preview episode 412:

Back to Basics:
Eunny demonstrates a variety of knitted edgings. Download tips and tricks for better knitting from guests and experts on Series 400.

Designer Spotlight:
Knitwear designerTheresa Schabes join Eunny on location and demonstrates a unique double-knit, double-sided reversible scarf that begins by casting on from the scarf’s i-cord edging. Download Theresa Schabes’ (Almost) Double Knit Scarf from Interweave Knits Gifts 2009 issue.

Crochet Corner:
Kristin shows some of the important first steps of finishing a crochet project, from weaving in loose ends and simple joining methods to fastening off. Download the Newborn Layette pattern from Coats and Clark and Redheart Yarns.

How-To:
Barry Klein from Trendsetter Yarns and Laura Bryant from Prism Arts, Inc. show how cast on edges are the beginning to a successful garment. They’ll offer instructions for a long-tail cast on, knit-on cast on, and a unique two-color cast-on with one stitch done in each color yarn. Download Tips for Casting-On: Tubular Cast-on. Also, download the Kid's Neck Down Pullover pattern seen on this episode.

Get the entire Series 400 of Knitting Daily TV on a 4-Disc DVD Collection! Click here to purchase DVDs of this season or previous seasons of Knitting Daily TV.

ABOUT THE SHOW: Knitting Daily TV is an exciting needle crafts how-to program on public television covering everything from knitting and crochet to stitching, felting, and spinning. The show guides viewers in learning to make fun yet smart one-of-a-kind designs using the latest products in yarn and fiber. Download free patterns, meet trendsetting knit and crochet designers, and improve or learn new skills and techniques.

Click here to find the PBS station nearest you airing the program. (You can enter your zip code or click "view all schedules/get listings" to see all the cities that air the show and when.)

Knitting Daily TV is airing on PBS stations nationwide and new markets are being added to the schedule all the time. Each individual public television station chooses when and if to air the program. If it is not airing in your local market, please call, write, or email and let them that know you are a viewer of the station and would like to see Knitting Daily TV. You can help bring Knitting Daily TV to your local PBS Station. Thank you!

Comments

LesleyI wrote
on Jan 23, 2010 9:02 AM

Hi, I have watched the You Tube video of Laura doing the Hat cast on, starting with waste yarn, several times and tried it twice, but my edge does not end up looking like hers.  Can't figure out what I am doing wrong.  Please help.  If I need to send a picture of my effort I would need some guidance on how to do that.  I managed the Estonian Cast on and Judy's magic cast on but can't get this one right.  Thanks, LesleyI

LouannD wrote
on Feb 21, 2010 6:12 PM

Tried to download the pattern for Almost Double-Knit Scarf. The pattern appears to be incomplete, stopping with page 2. I'll check back soon to see if it's been fixed. (Feb 21, 2010).

normashy wrote
on Mar 16, 2010 7:04 PM

Complete directions for (Almost) Double-Knit Scarf are available in Holiday 2009 Interweave Knits Gifts issue, page 32 if you or a friend has that issue.

SteveL wrote
on Apr 6, 2010 9:42 PM

Laura has an open knit scarf (shawl?) in front of her and referred to briefly in the episode.  The item looks like knitted blocks connected with regions where stitches were dropped.  Where is this pattern available?

BonnieL wrote
on Jul 3, 2010 1:07 PM

Hello Eunny and all, I've been watching the show for as long as I've been knitting, which is 6 years, and I can't hold my tongue another moment.  Knitting Daily is a good show, but it sabotages itself from being a great show by trying to do too much in one episode.  In between the music, the title screens and all the ads at beginning and end, there is barely time for four (4) five-minute segments.  That is simply not enough to cover the complicated details of knitting.

I've given this a lot of thought, and I recommend the following:

1) Change the format to a one hour show, with three (3) 20-minute segments;

2  If the show must remain 30 minutes, I BEG you to focus in on knitting only, and break the show into two (2) 10-minute segments.  This is still not enough.  For instance, today, show 412, Eunny was discussion the perpendicular join as a finishing technique, where you would knit your few stitches each row, then end with a ssk joining a st from the top of the existing piece.  Unfortunately, she had to hurry up and finish.  If not, she could have explained that this same technique is utilized in entrelac, and perhaps discuss it a bit to take some of the mystery out of entrelac.  As it is, it's laughable to see Eunny blaze through the most complicated knitting principles in 4-5 minutes.  I am of above average intelligence, but it's impossible to truly learn anything from these quickies.

That's all from here.  In sum, I'm asking for a longer show with more content.  Eunny is a great host and very concise, she just needs more time.  Thanks,

Bonnie Lacey

Kentucky Knitter

Emma@13 wrote
on Jul 9, 2010 7:04 AM

I agree with Bonnie L's comments posted on July 3.  I watched episode 412 yesterday and wanted clearer and less hurried instructions for the perpendicular join for the edging.  I checked the booklet 13 tips and techniques, but the instructions are not very useful to make this type of edging.  Help!

I do love the program and feel it would be a lot more useful if  the instructors/demonstrators took a little more time to explain the techniques, etc. Thanks,

Emma

Copyright © 2014 F+W Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.