Episode 601 - Your First Project!

Jan 19, 2011

Join host Eunny Jang and experts Kristin Omdahl and Shay Pendray on the new season of Knitting Daily TV, now airing on local Public Television stations.

Watch a preview of the new season, Knitting Daily TV Series 600:

Getting Started:

Eunny walks you through the process of selecting a pattern to knit and explains how to read a pattern, pay special attention to pattern sizing, demystifies the material list, and more. Plus, she'll give a quick demonstration on how to measure gauge swatches so you can be sure to have a successful finished project even before you knit a stitch! Download Eunny's tips and technique for getting started.
Sponsored by Interweave.

Designer Spotlight:

Join Shay Pendray as she sits down to speak with author and knitter Debbie Macomber. Learn how knitting gave Debbie an identity, how she taught herself basic skills through knitting, and became an author with her first book published in 1982. Shop on Blossom Street, the first book to combine knitting and fiction, has kickstarted her fabulous career. She now has a yarn line and patterns, available at Universal Yarn. Download the Brioche Neck Gaiter pattern, knit with Debbie's yarns.
Sponsored by Universal Yarn. Visit Universal Yarn for more information on Debbie Macombers yarn and patterns.

Crochet Corner:

Learn how to read crochet charts and symbols with this primer from crochet expert Kristin Omdahl. Crochet charts are the universal language of crochet, and once you've mastered these skills you can read any crochet chart, no matter what language the pattern is written in.
Sponsored by Interweave.

How-To:

Eunny visits with celebrity knitter Deborah Norville on how she got started knitting. They also talk about great projects for beginning knitters that go beyond the scarf and only require one ball or skein of yarn. Deborah suggests using varigated yarn for your first project because its not only beautiful but hides mistakes well. She also demonstrates a fun, new way to cast-on, perfect for those that have trouble with other cast-on methods. Download the Electronic Gadget Cover seen on this episode, a great way to get started knitting!
Sponsored by Premier Yarns. Visit Premier Yarns for more information on Deborah Norville's yarn and patterns.

Quick Tip:

Join host Eunny Jang for the first of 13 quick tips to be a more successful knitter. On this episode, Eunny demonstrates easier ways to read a pattern using highlighters and post-it notes. You'll never lose your spot while knitting again! Download this tip and more with the free 22 Top Knitting Techniques eBook.

Get the entire Series 600 of Knitting Daily TV on a 4-Disc DVD Collection! Click here to purchase DVDs of this season or previous seasons of Knitting Daily TV.

ABOUT THE SHOW: Knitting Daily TV is an exciting needle crafts how-to program on public television covering everything from knitting and crochet to stitching, felting, and spinning. The show guides viewers in learning to make fun yet smart one-of-a-kind designs using the latest products in yarn and fiber. Download free patterns, meet trendsetting knit and crochet designers, and improve or learn new skills and techniques.

Click here to find the PBS station nearest you airing the program. (You can enter your zip code or click "view all schedules/get listings" to see all the cities that air the show and when.)

Knitting Daily TV is airing on PBS stations nationwide and new markets are being added to the schedule all the time. Each individual public television station chooses when and if to air the program. If it is not airing in your local market, please call, write, or email and let them that know you are a viewer of the station and would like to see Knitting Daily TV. You can help bring Knitting Daily TV to your local PBS Station. Thank you!

Comments

pladle wrote
on Jan 20, 2011 7:23 AM

when knitting tube socks, do yo make them a looser fit than for regular socks?

Raveness wrote
on Jan 24, 2011 8:31 AM

Where is the chart for that Flower Skinny Scarf? I really want to make one.

AnnieB wrote
on Jan 25, 2011 10:54 AM

Raveness - good question. The skinny flower scarf is one of Kristin's own designs, and it will be featured in one of her upcoming books with Interweave, releasing in 2012.

Ilene1504 wrote
on Jan 29, 2011 1:26 PM

I wish you have given us the pattern used in the crochet corner, I have looked everywhere and can't find one.

AnneJ@23 wrote
on Feb 1, 2011 6:35 AM

It is quite disappointing that the chart is visible in the episode yet not shown online,especially when it is being used as a teaching tool.

Joyce Vetter wrote
on Feb 2, 2011 9:18 AM

I agree with the others.   Why isn't the chart for the Flower Skinny Scarf not available on line.  It looked so neat.  I didn't copy the chart down as I watched the show because I thought it would be online.   Joyce

Skywatcher wrote
on Feb 5, 2011 8:48 AM

I too am disappointed by your decision to feature a pattern that won't be available for more than a year. Please don't do that again. This was the first time I've watched your show, not a very good start.

jeanne@53 wrote
on Feb 7, 2011 2:22 PM

I have been looking in your magazines and on line to find the crochet chart for the crocheted scarf shown on series 601 on the TV.  Where can I find it without waiting to 2012?  I will forget it by then.  Thanks,  Jeanne

dhillste wrote
on Feb 7, 2011 6:07 PM

I want to make the flower scarf too! The TV said all the patterns were available on line.  The pattern comes out in 2012?  Is that before or after the world ends?

jkdpenny wrote
on Feb 15, 2011 12:07 PM

They do give you a glimpse of the flower scarf chart in the video preview, it is a bit fuzzy but you can maybe work it out if you hit pause at the right spot.

AnneJ@23 wrote
on Feb 17, 2011 11:37 AM

I have hit pause and tried so many times to decipher this. To give a chart,claim that it is a teaching tool, and claim that your patterns are on your website, is just deceitful.  If you are not going to share online, could you at least point your loyal viewers towards a similar pattern please?

grandmaroro wrote
on Feb 18, 2011 11:42 AM

I agree with all of you.  The first time I watched the show.  I would like the pattern for the crochet scarf also....but I did record it and as long as I keep the cable box, I have it.  Is it permissable to copy the pattern down, or is it copywrited?

Grandma Ro Ro

binkysmommy wrote
on Feb 27, 2011 5:26 PM

I too agree and think that you should put the pattern on here instead of making us wait till 2012 bc by then it will be forgotten. Every other pattern is free on here and if it isn't going to be on the web site like everything else it should have said that so we could have wrote it down!

NancyA@35 wrote
on Feb 28, 2011 10:20 AM

How disappointing!  I agree with the other comments about the flower skiiny scarf.  It's especially annoying when you consider it's PBS -- not only is the pattern not going to be available without buying a book,  it won't be available until 2012!   It seems a bit dishonest.

rbiser wrote
on Mar 9, 2011 8:29 AM

I have searched the internet for the Skinny Flower Scarf.  I would love to make it.  I tried to write down the pattern, but it was too early in the morning.

RebeccaW139 wrote
on Mar 11, 2011 6:01 AM

Where can I find the short circular needles Euny uses for socks.  I have looked every where.

GwenG@6 wrote
on Apr 30, 2011 11:14 AM

I am always disappointed after watching the crochet portion of the show. I look forward to watching the program each saturday., The beautiful items worn and shown but never shared so you can make them after viewing the show is awful. Why? oh, SALES! Is this the purpose for your show?

Copyright © 2014 F+W Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.