Episode 808 - A Touch of Whimsy

Jan 11, 2012

Add a touch of whimsy to your work! On this episode of Knitting Daily TV, host Eunny Jang and expert Kristin Omdahl explore fun ways to add that extra touch of fun to your knit and crochet projects, from cables to beads, and ruffles to ruching.

Watch a preview of episode 808, A Touch of Whimsy:

Getting Started:
Eunny begins this episode by turning cables on the diagonal with her primer for bias cable knitting. Get more tips and techniques from Eunny and other guests of Knitting Daily TV with your free eBook for Knitters of All Skill Levels.
Sponsored by Interweave.
Eunny is wearing a cardigan from the Spring 2011 issue of Interweave Knits.

How-To:
Kristin and Eunny join up for this episode's How-To segment to discuss drape, ruffles, and ruching. These feminine touches can make your knitting and crochet stand out from the crowd. Download the free patterns for the Clinton Vest and the Dairy Maid Halter top seen on this segment. Both these patterns have subtle details and would be great additions to a spring or summer wardrobe. All the projects shown on this How-To segment are from the designer crew at Tahki Stacy Charles, Inc. Visit their website for more information.
Sponsored by Tahki Stacy Charles.

Crochet Corner:
Kristin continues looking at crocheting with thin threads and yarns on this episode, and this time shows off some fun vintage pot holders. You can modernize these looks with the quick basics that Kristin discusses, such as crocheting around bottle caps!
Sponsored by Interweave.
Kristin is wearing a kimono from her Crochet Edgings book.

Quick Tip:
Eunny wraps up this episode with a quick tip for a beaded cast-on. This easy cast-on adds weight to the edge of your handknits, adding beautiful drape, and can be a fun way to incorporate beads of various colors to your work. For more tips like this, download your free eBook of 40 Tips and Techniques for Knitters of All Levels.
Sponsored by Interweave.

Get the entire Series 800 of Knitting Daily TV on a 4-Disc DVD Collection! Click here to purchase DVDs and individual episodes of this season or previous seasons of Knitting Daily TV.

ABOUT THE SHOW: Knitting Daily TV is an exciting needle crafts how-to program on public television covering everything from knitting and crochet to stitching, felting, and spinning. The show guides viewers in learning to make fun yet smart one-of-a-kind designs using the latest products in yarn and fiber. Download free patterns, meet trendsetting knit and crochet designers, and improve or learn new skills and techniques.

Click here to find the PBS station nearest you airing the program. (You can enter your zip code or click "view all schedules/get listings" to see all the cities that air the show and when.)

Knitting Daily TV is airing on PBS stations nationwide and new markets are being added to the schedule all the time. Each individual public television station chooses when and if to air the program. If it is not airing in your local market, please call, write, or email and let them that know you are a viewer of the station and would like to see Knitting Daily TV. You can help bring Knitting Daily TV to your local PBS Station. Thank you!

Comments

JanC@30 wrote
on Mar 13, 2012 11:37 PM

I would VERY much like to have a pattern for the bias cable scarf on knitting daily tv. Is there a source for the pattern--paid or free?  I know of five other knitters that would like to make this. Thanks so much.

JanC@30 wrote
on Mar 13, 2012 11:37 PM

bevfarley wrote
on Mar 20, 2012 7:49 PM

Kristin - Thank you so much for showing the technique used on the vintage potholder.  I am an avid crocheter, but could never figure out how these were put together.   My mother-in-law gave me one several years ago and I look at it from time to time.....just trying to get the pattern.  I will definitely add this design to my collection.

KarenB@5 wrote
on Mar 22, 2012 2:11 PM

How can we get the Bias Cables scarf pattern? I really like the look of it.

C J5 wrote
on Mar 22, 2012 8:47 PM

I thought someone on episode #808 said that the bias cable scarf pattern was on the web site.  I'd sure love to have it

bevbeck wrote
on Mar 24, 2012 5:48 PM

i would like to know how to get the scarf  pattern on episode 808.  Thanks

Allison@15 wrote
on Mar 26, 2012 2:03 PM

I would also love to have the bias cable scarf pattern. Is it available?

LindaS@154 wrote
on Mar 29, 2012 12:28 AM

I think I found the Bias scarf. Interweave knits 2011...

Look on Ravelry for the scarf...Bias Cable Scarf, then look at this one, Quixote Scarf. If you read the comments I believe it is in this book!

debbie@148 wrote
on Mar 31, 2012 2:35 PM

The pattern on Ravelry is not the one featured on this show.

on Apr 14, 2012 4:39 PM

I would like the pattern for the bias cable scarf.  Thank you.

debbie@148 wrote
on Apr 16, 2012 5:35 PM

Wouldn't it be nice if they would put the scarf pattern on the website? I've emailed and they don't have it. Too bad

Anita@2 wrote
on Apr 23, 2012 2:27 PM

I also expected the pattern to be here. I guess we'll just have to "wing it"!

Glorianna wrote
on Jun 14, 2012 2:20 PM

I cannot find the bias cable scard  shown on show 808 that is demonstrated, I would like very much to have the pattern. How can I find it please.

Glorianna wrote
on Jun 14, 2012 2:22 PM

I cannot find the bias cable scarf shown and demonstrated on show 808. Could you please post it for us, we would love to have the pattern.  Thank you

Glorianna wrote
on Jun 14, 2012 2:24 PM

Where is the bias cable scarf shown on show 808.  It was demonstrated at the beginning of the show and I sure would love to have the pattern.

Glorianna wrote
on Jun 15, 2012 3:26 PM

The Bias Scarf is the QUIXOTE SCARF and the pattern is $5.50 click on the Knitting Daily Shop and go to search.  Thank you Knitting Daily staff for sending me the information!!

Delo wrote
on Jul 12, 2012 9:00 PM

Crochet Corner Potholders - Kristin, instead of starting on the outside edge of the filet square and working to the center, begin in the middle square and work outward around.  You will find it much to see where you are going and where you  have been.   You will find it more enjoyable to crochet.

Love your show.

Glorianna wrote
on Jul 26, 2012 4:25 PM

The Quixote Scarf, that was pictured as the cable bias scarf that Eunny was knitting (she states only on a smaller version so it looks slightly different)  --I see some resembelance but--Eunny does not knit it according to the same directions as in the pattern, I purchased it and she is very different.  Could you please  have her explain the pattern, or is there a way to get help with a pattern from you?  Something is just off.   And does anyone really monitor your posts or are they just a way to vent? Or flatter, whichever.  Many people are very interested in this project and many are very confused with good reason!

cmliller wrote
on Sep 16, 2012 5:47 PM

I'd really like the pattern for the beaded scarf in the Quick Tip segment in this segment.  Any ideas?

Copyright © 2014 F+W Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.