Welcome to Inside Knits!

Jul 28, 2009

We like to talk at Interweave Knits about how we're all knitters, too. I don't mean that we all know how to knit, or even that we're necessarily all very accomplished technicians or designers (there's always more all of us could learn!). I mean that we're knitters: We talk excitedly about constructions and techniques that push what we thought yarn and needles could do; we swatch new-to-us yarns just to see how they drape and handle; we argue passionately about the merits of centered versus leaning double decreases.

We think of our knitting as a way to produce beautiful clothes, of course, but we also see it as an art and a craft with a fascinating history, with deep anthropological and ethnographic meaning, even a little romantic myth attached. Russian, Scottish, and Estonian lace! Andean, Scottish, and Scandinavian colorwork! Danish twined knitting! Cable patterns that followed fishing routes! We love it all.

And we're bringing even more of that to you: We're launching Inside Knits today, and we plan to bring you inside information on the magazine, extended content for your favorite projects and articles, exclusive how-to information, and more. We're knitters, too-and we're looking forward to talking directly with you, our readers and fellow knitters.

First up, check out the preview for the fall issue of Interweave Knits on Knitting Daily and stay tuned for much more from the editors of Interweave Knits!

Happy Knitting!

Eunny

Comments

arbranson wrote
on Oct 5, 2010 8:39 AM

During the showing of #509, you had a picture of mittens that looked as tho' they were knitted flat and then sewed together on the side opposite of the thumb. I just cannot find a pattern like that no matter where I look. Can you send me the pattern and I will be glad to repay you for it?  Thanks. Love your KPTS showing your knitting. I knit hats for the needed kids and adults using the round loom, but now and then run across a pattern I want to try with needles.  arb from Kansas

egammie wrote
on Jan 20, 2010 8:17 PM

Anyone have a copy of Interweave Knits Fall 2009? Searching for a copy of the baby undershirt/vest by Robin Hansen.

Can anyone help?

Egammie

BonnieL wrote
on Aug 1, 2009 10:15 AM

Hi Eunny, I REALLY enjoyed Robin Orm Hansen's 2 mag piece on the little undershirt, and am about to begin knitting it as we speak.  I love the historical piece to the item; that is why I'm knittiing it.  I would love to see more pieces like that.  Explanations of the uses and raisons d'etres of pieces from the past, and then a close update for use now.  I don't have young kids any more so I don't want all kids stuff, but just thought I'd put in my 2 cents worth.

I always enjoy the articles and love to read about the designers, their methods, looks around their workspaces, and enough back and forth to give the reader a real feel for the designer.

I also enjoy the pure teaching pieces.

I would also like to see some easier pieces, but not necessarily more scarves, washcloths and such.  Just easier sweaters and larger pieces that a first timer might be brave enough to try (big money investment, better turn out right!).  finally, it would be really helpful to see a difficulty rating on the patterns offered.  Just some food for thought.  Love the magazine, devour it like food, adds and all.  Thanks much,

Bonnie Lacey

JaimeG wrote
on Jul 30, 2009 12:12 PM

Thanks for giving credit to Lily Chin re: reversible cables. I'll have to ask her about that. Interweave is publishing a new book on cables with her in spring 2010 -- so stay tuned!

MaryC@79 wrote
on Jul 29, 2009 11:04 PM

RE : knitting a basic cable: what brand of dark wood cable needles were

you using?

thanx

peace&blessings

mary~

knitter926 wrote
on Jul 29, 2009 6:49 PM

It would be nice to mention on your message about reversible cables who, as far as I know, was the first to think of them.  The first I ever saw them was in a Fibertrends pattern by Lily Chin. I have every issue of your magazine and revisit them often.

mauserati wrote
on Jul 29, 2009 3:04 PM

howdy Ms. Jang - Interweave Knits is my fave knitting magazine because of the history articles & interviews with knitters & designers on their personal processes. Of course, the challenging but wearable projects attracted me first; but the articles hooked me!  Thanks!

Robin@98 wrote
on Jul 29, 2009 8:20 AM

This sounds very exciting. Can't wait!

SaraJ wrote