giganto blanket

Mar 18, 2011

We don't often highlight blog posts on this blog, but this is just too good not to share:

Giganto-blanket

Laura of Nocturnal Knits just finished knitting a giganto-blanket using wool top and PVC pipe for needles. Head over to her blog for the full story and bonus how-to video.

I love stuff that breaks out of the box. What creative knitting-related experiments have you tried lately?

Comments

bgillen wrote
on Sep 21, 2011 4:25 PM

Any idea how much this giganto weighs when complete?

cassel63 wrote
on Mar 30, 2011 1:24 PM

Knitting a hammock! That's something I never thought of - I'm going to try it! I need a hammock for our backyard (the whole family fights over the one we have) so this is a great solution. What string/yarn would you use?

Carol@13 wrote
on Mar 30, 2011 7:16 AM

What a wonderful way to knit a hammock.  Years ago a friend made me wooden needles out of one inch dowels.  Then I found they were the same size as broomstick lace needles, size 50.  Still, he put a lot of time into the sanding and the points are just right.  PCV may be my next experiment.  Back to the hammock.  Great job, I'm impressed.

Castounguay wrote
on Mar 26, 2011 12:23 PM

That is awesome!  For the beginner with sore wrists.  I agree circular needles helped me a lot when I was a beginner but also when I learned Continental crochet it helped even more, expecially to keep my stitches loose & even and not hurt my hands & wrists.  I'm sure there are videos online of the technique and it's a real joy to knit now!

Sue@276 wrote
on Mar 26, 2011 9:58 AM

wow, how do you knit with that "Log" lol. that looks amazing and the cat probably is thinking what a lovely place to curl up in. I am going to go to your blog now and find out more.

amazing.

SharonZ@4 wrote
on Mar 26, 2011 8:45 AM

This is for the beginning knitter with sore wrists: try using circular needles for your projects. Almost anything that can be knit on straight needles can be done on circulars. The circulars take the weight of your knitting off your wrists, shoulders and forearms. My wrists are trashed also, and I find that circulars, limiting knitting time to less than 20 minutes, and taking a stretch break really helps.

EssieB wrote
on Mar 26, 2011 7:18 AM

I love giving my knits some dimensionality.  I've been experimenting with making knotted segments in scarves (not just knotting the scarf after it is done, but knitting in the knots).  I tried to demonstrate on my blog, http://essiewb.blogspot.com.

on Mar 26, 2011 5:38 AM

Don't knit the cat into the sweater!

mashmore wrote
on Mar 26, 2011 4:20 AM

If you do a lot of other repetative activities through out the day such a working on a computer, the combination of activities might be the cause of your problem.  There are gloves are knitters or needleworkers that will help reduce pain in your wrist and injury.

Beginning knitters often have problems because they knit tightly. This tendency is often thought by the beginner tobe necessary  to produce even stitches.  Even stitches are produced by an even rythm when you knit.  Try to knit a swatch loosely without judging the eveness of your stitches.  Block the piece and evaluate your  stitches.  Your knitting will probably look much more even than you expect.

If you are knitting large pieces(sweaters)  sometimes the weight of the project can cause strain until you develop  the "muscle".

I don't know how old you are so the best recommendation might just be to rub you hands and wrists  with arnica.  Works for me and I have arthritic hands and wrists.

thepjofan wrote
on Mar 20, 2011 12:23 AM

I am a somewhat beginner knitter, and am wondering if you have any advice on how to treat a hurting wrist. Would it be my technique to fix, or do I have to stop knitting?