New with Knitscene: Dogs, lace shawls, and birthday parties

Jan 25, 2011

It’s been a while since I posted and, in that lapse, so much has happened: The holidays. TNNA’s tradeshow in California. The Winter/spring Knitscene preview went live and now people are scooping up copies all over the place. My birthday, for which my friends threw a big surprise party at this wacky place that I love. I got the advance copy of my new book Knitting Plus. And, perhaps biggest for me and my family, I got a dog—Chile the Dachshund mix! She really likes reviewing submissions and prefers wool over all; check out her new superwash tunic. It’s been a good and busy 2011 so far!

Whenever a new issue of Knitscene comes out, I tend to lurk for a while, watching threads in the forums here and on Ravelry; tracking blog posts, and checking in with my LYS to see how the issue is doing there. One of the best comments, for me anyway, is the kind that goes like this: “I’m not a young thing, but I love these projects and would make them for myself.” For the past few issues, I’ve noticed quite a few posts like this on public forums—I see such feedback as a kind of affirmation. We choose to package the content in a certain way, but the Knitscene style is never meant to render the designs themselves inaccessible. At the heart of it, we just want to print good knitting!

Photography in a knitting magazine is part fantasy, part technical blueprint. You want the dream of the sweater, in a place and on a person with a certain look, but you want to see the garment, follow each stitch with your eyes, and be able to determine if it’s the project for you. And your style could be completely different from Knitscene’s. And that’s awesome.

I hope you enjoy this new issue and find something that is for you within its pages. Chile is particularly fond of the Magnanimity Cardi, probably because it offers such ample storage for treats.

TNNA find: new yarn company Alisha Goes Around gave me some sample skeins to play with and I’ve been freeform-designing a top-down shawl in this glorious peacock color.

Magnanimity Cardi

Featured Product

Knitting Plus Mastering Fit + Plus-Size Style + 15 Projects

Availability: Out Of Stock
Was: $24.95
Sale: $4.38

Paperback

Knitting Plus is the must-have manual for plus-sized sweater construction and knitwear design. With this playful guide, you'll learn how to design wearable, tailor-made sweaters that have that perfect custom fit.

Comments

on Feb 8, 2011 9:59 AM

Last Friday, I got together with Michele Riggs of DownTown Knits in Apex, North Carolina, to host a release

DMYencha wrote
on Feb 1, 2011 4:08 PM

I have 2 shih tzu's who would look wonderful in Chile's sweater. Please write up some directions & thanks for all the information!

Jodiclegg wrote
on Jan 31, 2011 1:32 PM

I would love to be able to download the pattern for your dog, Chile, new superwash tunic. I have a new puppy and am looking for successful patterns that really fit a dog.

LisaShroyer wrote
on Jan 31, 2011 11:03 AM

thanks for all the compliments on Chile's sweater and the shawl! The sweater is just a tube with two holes on the underside for her legs...I'll see if i can draft up a generic pattern/blueprint for next week's post here. The shawl is a prototype of a design I'm planning for a future issue of Knitscene..working out the kinks and then will have more info. Thanks all!

LindaS@40 wrote
on Jan 31, 2011 9:20 AM

Congratulations on the new book.  I didn't know it was coming.  Really needed.  Linda Shelhamer

Carughooker wrote
on Jan 29, 2011 1:11 PM

Your shawl is GORGEOUS.  Is this a pattern you will eventually make available to the public,  if so please put me on the list!!!

rhondagb wrote
on Jan 29, 2011 11:24 AM

I just bought the new Knitscene magazine and love the patterns.  I expected to see the pattern for the dog's sweater as well and was disappointed.  Is it available?

rhondagb wrote
on Jan 29, 2011 11:22 AM

I just bought the new Knitscene magazine and love the patterns.  After seeing the advertisement online, I expected to find the pattern for the dog's sweater as well and was disappointed.  Is it available?

on Jan 29, 2011 9:47 AM

Wow! What an awesome shade of blue in that yarn!!! Could you reveal it's name??

on Jan 29, 2011 9:46 AM

Love that peacock color yarn AND the leaf pattern shawl you are free-forming. Could you identify the name of that yarn as I would love to buy some to knit a shawl myself (and I love your pattern so far!!). Keep us all posted if you finalize that pattern! Sign me up for one interested customer!

Thanks!!!

Rhoda@6 wrote
on Jan 29, 2011 9:29 AM

Where oh where is the pattern for that lovely top-down shawl pictured on the needles in peacock color above???   thanks   Rhoda

Rhoda@6 wrote
on Jan 29, 2011 9:27 AM

The pattern for that lovely "top down shawl" still there on the needles is WHERE, please????    thanks    Rhoda

Sarah@93 wrote
on Jan 29, 2011 9:21 AM

Aww! Chile is adorable -- and I love that her tunic looks a bit like a doggie version of the Cobblestone pullover!

on Jan 29, 2011 8:54 AM

love the dog in the coat!  Since the dog is a chiweenie with what looks like the 'weenie' body will this coat fit a mini weenie.  I am always looking for coats patterns that are long enough for my mini dachshunds.  Is the coat in the latest copy of Knitscene?  Will go get a copy today.  Lastly is the new dog addition a rescue?  It is always better to adopt not buy! :)

on Jan 29, 2011 8:44 AM

Congratus on your doggie...life without a dog is like not breathing freely for me!

I love your magazine and while I will be 65 this year I am knitting more than ever

did....keep up the good work.

on Jan 29, 2011 7:36 AM

When I go to Birmingham, I'll have to get a copy and sit down with a cup of coffee and see what I can't wait to cast on.

tinki wrote
on Jan 28, 2011 1:40 AM

Please don't use Forever 21's clothes in your shoots anymore.  They are a questionable company who frequently copycat other designers clothing.  You openly promote a company who has been actively sued over 50 for copying other design houses.

I hope in the future you choose a more reputable company to get your clothing from.  I like your magazine, however I will not purchase any magazine from Interweave that does business with Forever 21!

BarbaraA@33 wrote
on Jan 26, 2011 8:40 PM

Looking forward to reading the next issue of Knitscene.  Also, Chile looks terrific in his sweater.  Is the sweater pattern available to fit a miniature schnauzer?