Knitting versus the Heat: Take Two

Aug 29, 2011
Vergennes Pullover

I had such great expectations. My Vergennes Pullover was going to be finished and ready to wear before the first cool days of fall. I love the stitch; I love the soothing click of the needles as I knit in the evenings; I love the Blue Moon Fiber Arts Woobu. But soon the summer heat and my desire to knit this beautiful wool sweater were battling it out. As the temperatures in my house reached the mid-eighties, the heat won, and my beautiful maroon sweater retreated to the UFO bin.

That battle may have been lost but the war is not over. Fall is almost here, and the heat will not stop me from completing my Vergennes Pullover before the leaves have all turned. I am just a few rows from finishing the back, but the thought of the rest of the wool sweater draped across my lap gives me pause.

So my strategy is to begin the sleeves. Their lack of wool surface area will put me in good stead during warm evenings, and once those evening temperatures begin to drop, I’ll work the front. I have also packed everything I need to complete this sweater into a handy knitting bag. If the temperatures soar again, I will move to air-conditioned locals such as my local library, coffee shot, or yarn shop. What tips and tricks do you have to beat the heat?

Best wishes,

Comments

Bmerrittzzz wrote
on Sep 7, 2011 12:17 PM

I sit at a table during the summer, and my work rests on the table instead of my lap.

Lace8849 wrote
on Sep 5, 2011 7:25 PM

I usually prefer to knit with linen during the hot summer months.

Deathstarlet wrote
on Sep 5, 2011 11:55 AM

I usually set my knitting needles aside and take up thread crochet in the warmer months. This summer, however, a lady in our community send out all call to all knitters/crocheters to knit scarves for the upcoming Special Olympics here in October.

This has been a nice break from my other projects because:

a) It gave me a good excuse to go to the yarn store.

b) It gave me a chance to experiment with some new stitch patterns and color combinations that I've always been meaning to try!

cassel63 wrote
on Sep 5, 2011 11:09 AM

Beating the heat is not so much of a problem for me, as finding the time! We have A/C, and our basement level (where the TV lives) is super-cool even on the hottest days.

But, I have a constant battle between the knitting and the weeding. If I could train the kids to pull just the weeds out of the perennial beds, and NOT the perennials as well, I'd have more time to knit. Soon as the gardening season is truly finished (about October) I can pick up my knitting again.

GisellaF wrote
on Sep 5, 2011 10:46 AM

It won't help with the warmth of the wool around your hands, but if you desperately have to finish a sweater or blanket in very hot weather: have you tried putting a bamboo sieve/tray on your lap and place your knitting preject on top of that?

It does serve to keep the majority of the project off your knees although it's not exactly fool proof. I prefer to knit with summer yarns because my hands get too hot. Like with baby alpaca: absolutely toasty in winter but no joy to knit when it's too hot.

Marybouw wrote
on Sep 5, 2011 10:23 AM

When the summer heat and humidity make the thought of knitting less appealing, I knit with my project sitting on a table or lap tray instead of laying it on my lap.  That way, my knitting gets done and I stay cool.

MaryW@3 wrote
on Sep 4, 2011 8:33 PM

Luckily, my living space has coverings on 3 sides - car port, tractor and tool port and upstairs deck. My only window is on the south side and is protected by trees. Basically I live in a cave which stays very cool no matter how hot it gets outside! I can work on my cape from Swing, Swagger and Drape without getting warm - in fact, sometimes I wish I could put it on!

tsparsons wrote
on Sep 4, 2011 9:28 AM

I'm knitting Jennifer Wood's gorgeous cardigan coat featured on the cover of Interweave.  I'm currently on vacation in Colorado and even though I nearly needed an extra bag to get the bulky yarn out here it has been fun sitting outside and using my knitting to ward off the cool air.  So I can heartily recommend the cool air of Colorado for giving one the urge to knit!!

PhyllisJ@9 wrote
on Sep 3, 2011 12:12 PM

I work in a call center and in between calls (not much time there but every moment counts) we can do non work related things so long as we stay at our desks and it's something we can drop as soon as we get another call. I recently asked my manager if I could bring in my knitting/crocheting to do in between calls. I don't get a lot done because I'm usually on a call but even on the hottest days I've been able to get a row or two done. Any progress is good progress in hot weather!

evelyne wrote
on Sep 3, 2011 10:38 AM

I enjoyed this little blog, I live in Florida, so, yes the Ac is on, expensive, but necessary.

In winter, we have no heater, and when it does get cold, I knit  more, and it keeps me warm on cold nights.

But I knit in any weather really.Im about to finish my first lace project ever, a baby blanket for my almost here new grandaughter, hope my daughter will love it.

evelyne wrote
on Sep 3, 2011 10:36 AM

evelyne wrote
on Sep 3, 2011 10:36 AM

JaneD@11 wrote
on Sep 3, 2011 9:29 AM

I switched from making lap robes (30x36") for the Ann Arbor veteran's hospital to knitting toddler sweaters from the World Vision site (www.worldvision.org/.../knit-for-kids-classic-knit-pattern) which are smaller. I've reworked the pattern to make it seamless except for a 3-needle bind-off of the sleeves & shoulders.

horselove wrote
on Sep 3, 2011 8:50 AM

Thankfully, I haven't had that much of a problem with heat disturbing my knitting this summer. Except for this one time early this summer when I was trying to make this big fuzzy baby blanket for a friend and our air conditioning stopped working altogether for two days. It got up to 100 degrees outside on those days and I just couldn't stand to have that blanket on my lap, so I had to put it down until the repair man fixed our air conditioning.

(Turns out a centipede, of all things, crawled in there and fried itself and some of the wiring. The guy fixed it easily though.)

Evelyn@7 wrote
on Sep 3, 2011 8:48 AM

I switched from knitting with wool to knitting with bamboo, linen and cotton. That seemed to work for me and kept me going all summer. The Vergennes Pullover is on my list for this Fall too.

KarinP wrote
on Sep 3, 2011 7:07 AM

airconditioning airconditioning airconditioning airconditioning

maybe one of those breakfast-in-bed-trays for a real big project. Or a couch of love seat, where you can put the gbig project next to you, at least most of it. Also, socks.

on Aug 30, 2011 6:32 PM

Unfortunately the heat won out for me, and I have put away my Lattice Shawl. I figured I could last as it is only a shawl and I did not use the suggested yarn.  I tried sitting directly under/in front of the fan - but that only works for a little bit.  So I am now working on something in cotton/linen blend, and when I know I am going out for the day in air conditioning all day, I take my lattice shawl!

on Aug 30, 2011 6:32 PM

kedpaul wrote
on Aug 30, 2011 11:17 AM

air conditioning is my number one choice, but if it isn't too hot, just make sure you are in the shade, I often knit on my covered deck.