Holiday Knitting

Dec 27, 2011

In my mind, there are two kinds of holiday knitters—those who look forward to this time as a way to show others that they are loved by knitting gifts for them, and those who look forward to this as a time to relax and knit in a leisurely manner. I consider myself to be firmly in that second camp, primarily because most of my family lives in a warm climate (as in, approximately 40° warmer than Colorado is right now) and does not need knitted anything. In the past, when I have knit gifts for my family members, those gifts have been received with appreciation and love and I felt good about gifting them, but I know they are rarely used and I certainly can't blame them for not wanting to die of heat exhaustion.

I was thinking about Allison and her sweater knitting progress and the fact that our offices are closed this week. If I were her, I'd be looking forward to this week off as a time to knock out a good amount of the Vera Cardigan. (Me, I'm working on a pair of socks. And possibly a hat.) So while we're all digesting holiday meals while knitting, or planning ahead to next year's gift-knitting extravaganza, here's a bit of Allison's progress.

She finally hit a bit of a snag in the decrease section—an easily fixable mistake in the form of not knitting quite enough decrease rows. While still creating an amazing first sweater, she has proven she is human and not a knitting goddess in disguise.

I asked Allison if she saw herself knitting gifts in the future or using the time off as a chance to concentrate on gifts for herself. She thinks she'll probably be a gift knitter in the future, as she loves receiving handmade gifts and would love to give them as well.

What about you? Do you plan holiday gift knitting into your yearly schedule? What's your favorite knit to gift?

Hope you all are having a delightful holiday season. We'll see you again in 2012!
Amy

Comments

on May 1, 2012 12:54 PM

If you're new to the story of Allison, our managing editor, and her quest to knit her first sweater

on Mar 27, 2012 7:59 AM

Sounds like most of us have knowledgeable the particular "Make all the offers! Inches dash that comes along with the holiday seasons! I hope you all have a pleasant holiday season and that virtually any knitted items have been well received and also appreciated. : Allison thank you every person for their sort terms on her jumper!

<a href=http://www.247securitycameras.com>Wireless Surveillance Camera</a>

Amontillada wrote
on Jan 21, 2012 9:03 AM

I think most of us veer back and forth between being the two kinds of gift knitters! I know I do. I have the same situation with part of my family living in warm area. Especially for last-minute projects, think about simple things that people can use as they need. For example, a few years ago I did slipper-socks in worsted or bulky yarn for several relatives with family rooms on basement/ground floor level.

AmyPalmer wrote
on Jan 10, 2012 4:42 PM

Sounds like most of us have experienced the "Make all the presents!" rush that comes along with the holidays! I hope you all had a pleasant holiday season and that any knitted gifts were well received and cherished. :D Allison thanks everyone for their kind words on her sweater!

on Jan 7, 2012 9:14 AM

Ever since I made a queen-sized quilt for a wedding present and found it being used on the floor to watch football games, I have become a very selective handmade gift giver.  (Also the monogrammed hand towels that were bleached white by the recipient.)  I am much more careful to match the gift to the recipient in terms of fiber, care requirements, and general usefulness.  But yes, I will always be a (cautious) gift knitter.

karen durkee wrote
on Jan 7, 2012 9:00 AM

the sweater is beautiful.... I started in August and made about 20 knitted and crochet  items as Christmas gifts for family and friends, from scarves to purses, pillows and dresses and filet crochet name plaques.  I've been an crocheter for a long time and a knitter for several years now and still have yet to make myself something...... I think I'll make a resolution to make at least one thing for myself this year even though I enjoy the giving more.

sisterstella wrote
on Jan 7, 2012 7:26 AM

wow, I love this sweater and the color...I'm a gift "crafter" knitted a snowman pillow, a couple of pairs of felted oven mitts and made baby grandson #3 a needlepoint stocking.  Grandson #1 got a fleece knotted blanket...2012 will be 2 stockings since we are expecting 2 new grandchildren this year...will there be any time for Me?

pintaisfat wrote
on Jan 1, 2012 10:37 PM

I don't exactly know which one I am. It varies from year to year. For example, last year I made myself a beautiful cardigan and this year I made at least 10 gifts in the last days before Christmas. Okay, so maybe not ten, but still a lot. Anyway, I love that sweater so far. It is soo cute. I think I may have to make myself one too.

on Dec 28, 2011 1:01 PM

Oooh, Allison's sweater looks great so far! Love the colors she chose. Me, I always THINK I'm going to be a gift knitter, but then work knitting takes over and I remember I hardly have time for anything else! Ah well. It's the thought that counts? :)