Knitscene Spring 2013

Greet spring with a new issue of Knitscene, featuring 23 designs from your favorite indie designers. We take a look at flapper and vintage style, I-cord, the work of Catherine Shields, and different ways to set your knits on the bias. A round-up of new yarns and tools for 2013 rounds out this fresh and fabulous issue.

Buy the digital edition now or pre-order the print version (also available in stores on January 22, 2013).

Knitscene Blog

ON THE COVER:
Arc-en-Ciel Pullover

by Maria Leigh featured on page 35

photography by Harper Point Photography
hair and makeup by Kira Friedman, Janie Rocek
photostyling by Katie Himmelberg

Comments

on Jan 8, 2013 8:54 AM

The preview for Knitscene Spring 2013 is now available here . With 23 new knits, this collection is a

Jesusan wrote
on Jan 21, 2013 8:43 AM

There is very little in this issue that would appeal to an older person (60+), especially if, like me, they live in a climate where there is very rarely need for sweaters or other warm clothing or accessories.

EssieB wrote
on Jan 21, 2013 9:12 AM

I live in a warm climate with unpredictable weather. I am 55. I can always use a cardigan in a cotton/wool yarn, or a shrug to toss on over a sleeveless top. The Salacia Cardigan and Zelda Tank are stunning and would make good pieces for my wardrobe. The Biarritz Cloche is incredibly sophisticated. I want to make it today! Can't wait to receive this issue.

Helene RL wrote
on Jan 21, 2013 9:39 AM

Why does every top, jumper, and cardigan now have to be either knit sideways, on the bias, and/or raglan? Yeech!

bonini wrote
on Jan 21, 2013 11:58 AM

I'm older, but a faithful reader of Knitscene. Over the years, I have made several sweaters from the patterns featured. I look forward to every issue. That said, the long, blousy tunics (Grenadine and Patou) may be fashhionable, but who would spend the time and money to make a garment that is clearly informed by fad? It will be out of style by the time it's finished. They are probably very cute on girlish stick figures, but I doubt that they would be flattering on the average woman. Hopefeully they can be modified into pullovers and become beautiful additions to our wardrobes.

bonini wrote
on Jan 21, 2013 12:02 PM

this webpage has links to pattern supply lists from Winter 2012...ugh

on Jan 21, 2013 12:58 PM

Well, after reading some of the comments, I have to say, that I am 63, about a size 14, and there is plenty I find appealing to knit and or wear myself in this issue of KS.  No matter the magazine by Interweave Press or books, they never dissappoint whether it is patterns or articals.  I wish I could afford to buy all.  The projects I like the best are, Salacia Cardigan, the simple shrug, eidlewies cardigan, and the shawl. As far as the comment about 'everything knit sideways', I love projects that become a challage, with stitch pattern or knitting in a different than conventional direction.  I have been doing test knitting and sample knitting and the ordinary can get dull.  I like to take on a challage for myself.

thanks KnitScene, Linda M.

PDR@51 wrote
on Jan 21, 2013 3:15 PM

Knitscene is one of my very favorite knitting magazines. There is always something I want to make. I'm sixty plus. I just add a few rows for length or tone down a color and get to work.  I wish this was available as a subscription.

on Jan 22, 2013 3:14 AM

Thanks for the preview. This has some great patterns. I remember knitting a mans jersey similar to  Arc-en-Ceil in the 1970's! It is always great to learn something new. I am now in my late 50's and knitting for others is a great way to utilize the inspiration of younger designers. As we don't have this magazine available in NZ until much later in the year ( our fashions tend to follow the northern hemisphere, though there are some great designers here too!) it is good to have a preview this early.   These patterns seem quite consistent with others being issued in terms of fashion trends. Well done.

DebraS@12 wrote
on Feb 9, 2013 5:56 PM

i personally don't like short sleeves on my sweaters. nor do i like them short wasted. i am in my 50's and am uncomfortable in tight short wasted sweaters. i wear them to keep warm. there is only one pattern that i really like. to bad you cant just buy the one pattern.