In Which I Resist Temptation and I Choose A Yarn Color

Nov 19, 2009

Dear Interweave Knits,

I love you. I hate you. I both hate and love you at the same time.

My faithful and clever readers have just spent several weeks carefully choosing a sweater pattern for me to knit, and a color for me to knit the pattern in, and here you go, publishing the new Winter 2009 IK with a cover sweater that makes me breathless with desire, so that the first words out of my mouth are, "I want to change the sweater pattern from the Farmer's Market Cardi to Nora's Sweater! Can we do a re-vote?"

Naughty, naughty Interweave Knits. How could you do this to me and my readers?

(deeeeeeep cleansing breath)

I shall hold fast to my resolve. My readers have spoken. The Farmer's Market Cardigan it shall be. The Farmer's Market Cardi is a gorgeous cardi and I love it and it will be mine.

However, on the bright side, at least I know what I am going to be knitting after I finish the Farmer's Market Cardigan. It's not like it's going to suddenly be 70 degrees in January here. It's not like I won't need a second warm cardigan.

All right, my beloved Knits, I apologize for having a moment of hate because you are so generous with beauty. That was small-minded of me. I can learn. I can grow.

I can knit more than one sweater this winter...

Friends again?
(The Winter issue ROCKS. Just being clear about that. It ROCKS. Thank you, Knits staff!!)

Color, Color, Color

This color-choosing thing was harder than I thought it was going to be. I guess I imagined that everyone would link into the Psychic Sandi Network or something and we'd all end up picking the same color, and then the birds would sing and small animals would dance on the lawn under my window.

But noooo. You folks are so creative that you came up with a total of 24 color suggestions. (There are only 43 colors available. You chose more than half of them. Whoot!)

Your colors ranged from the pale wisps of Beach Fog  to the cheery delicate petals of Chinatown Apple to the mysterious Wisterious, finally moving on to the bold Lipstick Lava, the intricate shades of NIghtwatch, and the lush red/purple tones of In Vino Veritas.

There were more, but folks, a girl has to draw the line somewhere.

I've been to my local yarn shop to view the colors in person, and to get opinions from the good people who work at the shop as to what works best with my skin tone, and after careful consideration, the color I choose is: In Vino Veritas.

Besides. I just bought some awesome red cowboy boots. I don't have anything red to match them. Jeans, white shirt, In Vino Veritas Farmer's Market Cardi, and red cowboy boots.

Winter, bring it.

– Sandi

P.S. Let me know what you think! You can email me at sandi@knittingdaily.com or you can leave a comment.

Comments

Laurie@2 wrote
on Dec 5, 2009 11:22 AM

Sandi said: "Jeans, white shirt, In Vino Veritas Farmer's Market Cardi, and red cowboy boots."

Mm-hmm, and that Nora's Sweater will be a nice variation on that ensemble, too - who says you can't have two (more) purple sweaters?

on Dec 4, 2009 12:16 PM

Sandi - I have been soooo laughing over this one.  Had this issue been out when we were voting, I know that Nora's Sweater would have been THE one.  It was the first thought that came to mind when I saw the cover  (It did not hurt matters at all that the color was that beautiful purple...)  Nevertheless, I agree with NancyN - both Nora's Sweater and the Farmers Market Cardigan are beautiful, each in it's own way, and the Farmers Market Cardi will look SOOO cute with those boots.  You are absolutely correct that a girl needs more than one sweater.  Besides, what better opportunity (excuse) could there be to aquire more yummy yarn in yet another color to drool over!  Hello LYS!

TamaraM wrote
on Nov 24, 2009 9:58 PM

WHERE did you find those boots!  I've been looking for a pair of red cowboy boots for years.

Miss you Sandi!  Knitting Daily isn't the same without you and your fabulous voice.

Eeyore04294 wrote
on Nov 24, 2009 11:04 AM

You resisted temptation more than I.  I have taken my cascade 220 heather from the swing cardi in the book of yarn and slated it for Nora's sweater.  I bow to your will.

MaryW wrote
on Nov 23, 2009 1:45 PM

I hope you will knit Nora's sweater also. I'd like to see how you put all the pieces together. Setting in sleeves is no problem for me, but that back inset and sewing on the collar would be. I'm afraid I'd botch it and it would ruin all that work.

ErinW@2 wrote
on Nov 23, 2009 5:23 AM

I LOVE the Farmer's Market Cardigan!  How could you go wrong knitting this one up?!  And I've got to say, the cowboy boots ROCK!

Ketlian wrote
on Nov 20, 2009 9:08 PM

You are too FUNNY!

I just want to say... I miss you in my inbox!  Knitting Daily is not the same without you!

SandyS@3 wrote
on Nov 20, 2009 9:06 PM

I also fell in love with the cover sweater! I agree with SharonC. Knit it first!. If I wasn't up to my eyeballs in Christmas gifts that HAVE to be finished, it's what I would be knitting. Go ahead, we won't tell...

SharonC wrote
on Nov 20, 2009 5:03 PM

Sandi, I don't blame you! That cover sweater is marvelous. I think I would give in to temptation and knit it first! Good luck.

NancyN@4 wrote
on Nov 20, 2009 10:24 AM

I'm still laughing!  When I saw the promo for the winter issue, my first thought was "why didn't we have Nora's Sweater in time for the vote?"  It is beautiful!  But I still think the Farmer's Market Cardigan will suit you splendidly - it's such a sleek silhouette.  And everyone needs several cardigans when she lives in that cold climate.  The color you chose is beautiful.