Because my mother taught me to say "Thank you"...

Nov 26, 2009

I'd finished up a whole 'nuther post for today before I remembered that today would be Thanksgiving Day in the States. As I write this new post, turkeys are being basted and families are gathering in millions of homes south of the Canadian border; however, at this moment here in Toronto, I am writing from my husband's University lab, and there is no turkey, no stuffing, no cranberry sauce...and most importantly, no family, in our plans for this day.

It's just an ordinary working day. And a cold, rainy one at that!

And yet in some way, I feel very much a part of the day's celebrations. I'm not the only one far from home, with no turkey and no trimmings, with family far and rain falling down. There are single people alone today; there are the brave military folks who awoke in a distant land today; there are old people in nursing home rooms without visitors or pets to cheer them today. And there are many, many people in other cultures, other places, for whom this day is, indeed, just a day like any other.

So, in honour of this day, maybe humour me for a moment, would you? If you are reading this, stop. Reach out your hand to someone near you--even if that reaching out is via cellphone, or text message, or email--and say "I love you." Say "I'm lucky to have you in my life." Say whatever feels comfortable to you. Say "thank you" if your heart feels grateful. Say it out loud.

And as your host at our little celebration here, I'll begin.

Welcome, all you who have stopped by this little blog. I'm so touched, so grateful for your presence in my life. Over the years, you have left comments and sent emails that have brought tears to my eyes, made me laugh out loud, and given me a wonderful feeling that you are sitting right next to me, here in this room, invisible presences that encourage me and laugh with me and share with me a passion for needles, yarn, and all things knit and purl.

I am so very, very grateful for the craft of knitting. Like all the other things that nourish and sustain us throughout our lives, today I give thanks for this craft that we love.

Thank you, Spider Woman and all her grandchildren, for knitting, for the joy and the solace it brings to each day. Knitting has given me so many gifts: friends, colour, texture, laughter, kindnesses received, warmth wrapped 'round, a passion for fibre that moves my heart to write words that others find meaning in.

Like the residents of Whoville, I don't really need the turkey to celebrate Thanksgiving (not even the roast beast!). I still feel that deep sense of gratefulness, and even though I am alone in the room right now, I can feel hands outstretched, arms embracing, and smiles shared with me across the miles.

Happy Thanksgiving, Knitting Daily folks. Thank you for who you are and what you bring to our shared "table," each time we sit down to knit and hang out for a while.

– Sandi

P.S. I always, always love to hear from you. Please feel free to email me at sandi@knittingdaily.com or to leave a comment.

Comments

NancyAnita wrote
on Dec 8, 2009 6:02 AM

How nicely said. Thanks for sharing.

BethS@73 wrote
on Dec 7, 2009 12:59 PM

Sandi:  I just read the Happy Thanksgiving thank you.  I needed that message the ones that followed your thread today.  Home with sinus infection, feeling sorry for myself, but I know there are those worse off, as I have been  in the past.

I did spend the time home alone to print out some easy Christmas decorations. After the meds kick in, I will be able to concentrate again and knit and have fun decorating some easy items.

Thank you again for your refreshing advice to thank all our knitting friends and relatives.

Beth in Annapolis

ErikaS wrote
on Dec 4, 2009 9:18 AM

I'm American but I live in Austria with my family and instead of not celebrating Thanksgiving, we've imported it. My Austrian husband and sister-in-law now look forward to the family time around the table even more than my brother, parents and I, if that's possible... and of course to the special, once-a-year feast. But our favorite part in going round and listing all the things, events and people we're thankful for, and that's the best part of the day.

Thanks so much for your fun, heartwarming blog, Sandi, and may your days be filled with joy and cozy family times as you settle in with your husband in a (relatively) new home!

MSueM wrote
on Nov 28, 2009 9:39 AM

Sandi,

Although I don't stop by very often, I do appreciate your posts.  Thank YOU.  This Thanksgiving was indeed good for us as our daughter came through some surgery well and we were able to be with her.  Of course, to help with the waiting, I was knitting in the waiting room...another knitter stopped by and we not only encouraged each other on our relatives' health circumstances, but I was able to share a simple pattern for a bath mitt with her to help her take that next step from 'scarves, all the scarves...'.  Knitters in this world are a kindly bunch.  They not only care about textures, colors, and patterns, but about others as well.

Thanks for this column and a place where we can share.

Thanks for the reminder that there are many in the world who are alone...but hopefully a few of them have some heart warming, hand made item that reminds them that they are loved.

As we go into the next holiday season...'warm winter wishes' to you all!

Keep knitting.  It DOES make a difference.

SandyS@3 wrote
on Nov 27, 2009 11:07 AM

Thank you Sandi for giving us your knowledge, your triumphs, your mistakes,and most of all your humor. You've cheered me up on some pretty gloomy days. Please know that your work and the sharing of yourself is appreciated. Happy Thanksgiving.

MicheleB wrote
on Nov 26, 2009 9:46 PM

Happy Thanksgiving to you, Sandi! Even without turkey, it's always nice to stop a moment and reflect on things that we're thankful for. I've so enjoyed your blog.

LindaM@3 wrote
on Nov 26, 2009 8:03 PM

Happy Thanksgiving  Sandy

NancyB@32 wrote
on Nov 26, 2009 5:10 PM

Happy Thanksgiving, Sandi! And thank you.