By Popular Request: Stretchy Bind-Offs!

Mar 25, 2010

I'm too sick to knit; the knitter's equivalent of purgatory. Imagine it: The mere motions of the needles are making me ill.

I've been sick for FOUR DAYS. Four days of NO KNITTING.

I think we might have a situation here.

Thus, with your indulgence, I will cheat a wee bit and repeat one of my most-requested tutorials: Stretchy Bind-Offs. Many, many folks have asked for links to this one ever since I wrote it two years ago...so here you are.

Where can you use these stretchy bind-offs? At the top of socks cuffs, at the edges of lacy shawls, at necklines and hems and sleeve edgings, oh my. Use them anyplace where you need a bit more give, a little more room, than a regular bind-off provides. See? Trés useful.

By the way: Apparently too-sick-to-knit isn't too sick to cuddle yarn. A friend sent me some completely rockin' awesome baby alpaca and silk laceweight yarn that she had dyed...and in the end, I literally crawled into bed with it clutched in my hand. Pathetic, I know. But I had the stomach flu...and I couldn't knit. However: I could still cuddle yarn. Not too sick for that. Too sick for knitting. Never too sick for yarn.

Do you have something soothing and knitterly you do when you are sick? Let me know! I have a feeling that snuggling with my yarn isn't exactly the most grown-up thing to do, fever or no. But hey. It's how I roll...

I hope you are well, and that you find joy amidst your stitches this week.

– Sandi

P.S. As you read this, I'm much better and back at the needles. Whew! I feel human again.

Step-By-Step Instructions for Variations on the Stretchy Bind-off

Version A: Knitting through the back loops

This version gives a bind-off edge that looks just like a standard bind-off, but it is much stretchier.

Knitting Cast-On - Eastern Cast-On

Step 1: Knit together the first two stitches on the left needle THROUGH THE BACK LOOP. (Figure 1)

Knitting Cast-On - Eastern Cast-On

Step 2: Slip the new stitch on the right needle back to the left needle. (Figure 2)

Step 3: Repeat 1 and 2 until all stitches are bound off.

Knitting Cast-On - Eastern Cast-On

Notice how the bind-off edge is nearly indistiguishable from your normal bind-off, but give it a tug and you'll see how much more flexible it is. (Figure 3)

Version B: Knitting through the front loops

The finished edge of this version looks slightly different but is just as stretchy as the other version.
Which to use when? I'd say it's a matter of personal taste.

Knitting Cast-On - Eastern Cast-On

Step 1: Knit together the first two stitches on the left needle. (Figure 4)

Step 2: Slip the new stitch on the right needle back to the left needle.

Step 3: Repeat these two steps until all stitches are bound off.

Knitting Cast-On - Eastern Cast-On

Notice that I show two samples in (Figure 5); the stitches are worked exactly the same way in both, but in the sample on the right, I used bright green yarn for the bind-off row so that you could see the finished effect more clearly.

Note that you can also use a variation of this bind-off on the purl side of a garment: Either *P2tog, slip new stitch to left needle; repeat to end--OR *P2tog tbl, slip new stitch to left needle; repeat to end.

All right then: Go forth and bind off--or, if you use the British nomenclature: Cast off!

Sandi Wiseheart is the founding editor of Knitting Daily. You can find her blogging here on Knitting Daily every Thursday. Want more? Visit Sandi's personal blog, wiseheart knits. Or, if you're on Twitter, follow her tweets: alpacasandi.

Knitting Lace: Knitting Daily Presents 7 Free Knitted Lace Patterns

Are you addicted to lace knitting? Or maybe you've admired some of the gorgeous knitted lace patterns out there and want to give lace knitting a try? Here are seven of Interweave's top knitted lace patterns, gathered together in one FREE ebook for you.

Whether you are a first time lace knitter, or a seasoned expert, you'll enjoy the timeless beauty of knitting lace. Get these stunning projects that will continue to inspire, and be loved for generations to come. You'll want to make every one of these lace patterns, so download your free eBook now and get started (and don't forget to tell a friend so they can enjoy their own copy!)

Download Your Free Lace Patterns Today

Comments

Zoe wrote
on Dec 12, 2010 9:30 PM

When I am not well, I do love to read my knitting books.  I never ever tire of the sock books and read and re-read them.  I prop them up on my pillow in bed.  I often will fall asleep looking at the pictures.

Ellymae, I too get a headache at the base of my head where the neck vertebrae meets the skull.  This leaves me unable to knit.  Very frustrating.

I have found that small items to knit are not as tiring for me so I stick to socks, hot pot mats, etc.  Sometimes I will switch to crochet as that uses somewhat different muscles and then it is not so bad.  Its still working with the yarn!

NatashaH wrote
on Apr 5, 2010 4:23 PM

I realize this post is long past but I just got my laptop working again... yeesh.

Everytime I see this method touted as the perfect cast off for toe-up socks I want to stamp my feet and cry; This is the cast of I use most often, and yes - it is much streatchier than others but when I try it on socks it doesn't stretch enough and doesn't spring back to fit snugly against the leg.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG????

I've tried larger needles, smaller needles, looser guage, tighter... etc.  I just can't find anything that works.  And I love toe-up socks.  :-(  Very sad.

Ellymae wrote
on Apr 1, 2010 11:16 AM

I love reading your comments, and I know now that I'm not the only obsessed knitter.Unfortunately, I recently developed a 'pinched nerve' in my neck which leaves me doing 'nothing'. I can hardly pick up a book. Since January I've knitted 3 pairs adults socks (on 4 needles, just love socks) 3 pairs of childrens socks from leftovers, two complete baby outfits, a sweater, hat, and scarf set etc. I have a grandson on the way due in August and I even have a hard time typing. Are there other knitthers that are experiencing this kind of pain? And are there any solutions, I am havig physio. My moher knitted from age 5 to 88 and never had any problems with knitting.

Sincerely, Eleonora

cathymoore wrote
on Mar 31, 2010 10:37 AM

I always make lots of hot tea and snuggle with a fuzzy blankie and my dogs. They seem to know I need extra care so they snuggle really close and actually lie still as long as I want to with no wiggling. Hope you're back to good health soon!

HaBaHaBa wrote
on Mar 31, 2010 5:56 AM

I like to use Jeny's Surprisingly Stretchy Bind-Off, although it looks a little bit sloppy when unstretched.

SharonC@67 wrote
on Mar 29, 2010 11:17 AM

Quit worrying about DOING things & just get better!! Relax, we can get along without you for a day or two more . . . .   listen to Audio Books. Drink plenty of tea & eat oranges, you'll be well in a jiffy! take this recovery time to just BE.  We'll be doing plenty of knitting in your name .  .  .  .

SherryC wrote
on Mar 27, 2010 7:05 PM

What a saving grace that you re-printed this !  I'd been searching for this very article for awhile now!  THANK YOU!

Elizabeth wrote
on Mar 27, 2010 2:22 PM

Sandi,

Get well soon!

on Mar 26, 2010 4:46 PM

I crawl in bed with a hot water bottle tucked inside a soft and yummy knitted cover.

AnaH wrote
on Mar 26, 2010 12:47 PM

Hi Sandy,

Glad you're feeling better. The stomach flu is a nasty one, for sure. At least with a cold, you can still knit with your tissue box nearby....

With the nastiness of the flu, however, when it is quite impossible to wield needles and all you can do is writhe in pain and feel sorry for yourself, I actually find myself knitting in my mind. Yup.....I dream about knitting. I dream about all the yarns I would love to buy (but can't) and imagine knitting with them. But I also actually knit in my mind.....I cast on, work increases and decreases, speed through the boring parts and all that.  I think through techniques and have really learned a lot this way. I'd like to think I'm becoming a "thinking knitter" as E.Z. puts it. "Visualizing" a difficult concept gives you a head-start when you get hands on needles again.

Knitters do not waste time! Even when ill.

Dream on...

Ana

SharonC wrote
on Mar 26, 2010 12:28 PM

Well, not when I'm sick. But I take a swatch (already made) to the DENTIST with me. I get the gas, and I fondle the swatch. And think hard about the texture, the pattern, if I want to change it, etc. It works for me, and they're used to it now!

AngelaE wrote
on Mar 26, 2010 11:45 AM

Sandi,  too sick to knit?  You must be really ill!  In fact thats' how I guage how sick I am.  Many times I'm too sick to go to work, but rarely too sick to knit!  How about a simple afghan pattern?  Something mindless?  Get well soon!

CathyW wrote
on Mar 26, 2010 11:21 AM

Ahh, right now I have an injury that's inconveniently placed for holding knitting needles - I can theoretically knit if I use a kind of weird grip, but it's so slow and awkward as to not be worthwhile. So I'm petting my yarn, tossing my stash a bit, and fantasizing about all the lovely sweaters in my magazine collection.

More along the lines for "soothing", the injury had to have stitches, and I was a little freaked out about this - until Hubby pointed out that the watercolor painting hanging right over the bed in the exam room was grazing sheep. I guess if I can't have yarn, a picture of sheep is the next best thing.

ALA wrote
on Mar 26, 2010 10:46 AM

Wait, there's something wrong with cuddling yarn? I think you need to take a whole bunch of alpaca skeins to bed and surround yourself.

alena@5 wrote
on Mar 26, 2010 9:01 AM

Hey! This IS the bind-off I use normally - now I'm really puzzled - is there another "normal" bind-off? Hmm...

RobinH@2 wrote
on Mar 26, 2010 8:48 AM

Lucy Neatby has a variation on this stretchier bind-off, that's a little complicated for me to describe verbally here. It's on one of her DVD's, and it works like a charm.

Janet@166 wrote
on Mar 25, 2010 5:01 PM

Being sick is only for the couragous. Please don't get sick any more. This makes twice as you well know.

Yarn has been my teddy bear on several ocasions.  I put a skein right against my cheek. I need some now.