This Winter's Hot Accessory: The Snood, Moebius or Infinity Scarf

Nov 13, 2009

Free Pattern for The Endless Love Moebius and Hat!

Today’s guest blogger is Adina Klein, creative director for Tahki Stacy Charles and former editor in chief of knit.1 and Vogue Knitting magazines. Adina has made several guest appearances on Knitting Daily, most recently in Season 3 demonstrating a lovely moebius pattern. Her photo styling of this ensemble makes me think of the Goddess Frigga at Winter Solstice—just gorgeous! Here’s Adina to tell us more about this unique pattern, which is available for free download on our website here.

The fashion industry is touting the snood (a cross between a scarf and a hood) and the infinity scarf, or moebius, as the hot new accessories for winter 2009. Featured this week in the Wall Street Journal and last week on Oprah, these fashion scarves are hitting the mainstream and mass-market retail. But there's no need to tell knitters how fantastic they are—we have long been cultists of the moebius (a rectangle that has been twisted 180 degrees) as an easy and versatile project that is inherently reversible. Today I'm excited to present to you a new take on the moebius with the "Endless Love" design, knit in a lovely lace pattern that's simple enough for even beginners to lace.

Who says lace needs to be on size 2 needles? Delicate and feminine, the “Endless Love” moebius is knit on a size 8 circular and is a modern twist on the scarf. Just like everlasting love, this moebius has no end and no beginning. The pattern was designed by Teresa Chorzepa for Tahki Stacy Charles and uses only two skeins of DOVE, a new worsted-weight wool-blend (44% extrafine merino Wool, 44% alpaca, 12% nylon) with a unique combination of airiness and body, and a slightly felted appearance. It has great stitch definition and is equally perfect for knit and crochet.

Watch the video of my demonstration of the moebius in Episode 303 of Knitting Daily TV:

If you like the “Endless Love” moebius pattern, check out the other designs in the Modern Romance collection. You'll fall in love with this dreamy collection of designs to knit in Tahki's supersoft yarns DOVE, SAVOY and TRUFFLES

In the mood for a snood? For a more hood-like version of a larger moebius pattern, check out the Shadow Moebius in Tahki Rio from our pattern booklet Natural Landscapes Terra Collection, 4th edition, available online or at your local yarn shop.

Are you working on a moebius, infinity scarf, or snood for yourself or someone else? Leave a comment here and let us know what pattern and yarns you're using.

Yours in knitting,
Adina Klein

Comments

on Sep 18, 2011 11:25 AM

I would love the pattern for the shawl of mobieus type that is on the mannekin along side the demo on episode 303.. I haven't been able to find anything like this, is is available please?

Louise

eirinn4 wrote
on Jan 2, 2011 11:53 AM

If the modern day (eg. 2009) designers are calling their knitting creations snoods I see no problem calling them snoods either.  I wasn't around when the name was used previously in the 1930s and 1940s and wouldn't consider watching movies from that time period either. Garment names do undergo different interpretations over the decades and centuries.  I like the modern-day terminology of snood for the new snoods.

kate@112 wrote
on Feb 25, 2010 8:33 AM

Nice, but not a snood. Let's get our terminology correct, please! Hasn't our language degenerated enough?

Snoods cover the hair like a loose hairnet in the back of the head ala the 1940's and Renaissance.

This is a long cowl, or what is now called an infinity scarf.

Robert wrote
on Dec 1, 2009 7:17 AM

I agree with MernaS.  I really love this twist design, and it's definitely something that I would do and make, but, it's not a Möbius.

With a Möbius, you have a single crossover...something that could easily go over the head almost like a kerchief.

...or around the neck and resemble a scarf crossed naturally around the neck, but joined -- something you could wear like a dickey.

WldWcnWmn wrote
on Nov 28, 2009 10:45 AM

yeah... um sorry kids...in my little world:

"Snood"= thick hair-net (Renaissance Festival, SCA, Civil War re-enactment gear)

"Cowl"= big 'ole thick neck scarf type thing

"Wimple"= neck scarf/hair covering (long, big tube - think Dr. Suess)

It would really help if the knitting world called things what they were...I spent ten minutes trying to "google" a pattern for a knitted snood (snood as in my description above) only to keep coming up with wimples.. If I wanted a wimple, I would have searched for it.  ARGH.

Thanks for the vent.

leezah wrote
on Nov 21, 2009 3:32 PM

scarf + hood? why not call it scood?

ednamay wrote
on Nov 21, 2009 4:57 AM

From the UK

I was there!  I made (and wore) snoods in the 1940s

You knit or crochet a lacy square, baseline half your head measurement.

You gather the side edges each in a tight ring, like the top of a hat.

You thread fine elastic around the cast-on cast-off edge, making a small open bag.

You can wear it with the gathers at the top (with a decoration, if desired) or the utilitarian way with the gathers by your ears!

We also made them much larger, with sewn-together sides and handles on the cast-on and cast-off edges to make shopping bags for groceries!!!

Ednamay

MernaS wrote
on Nov 20, 2009 6:33 AM

It looks like there is a double twist in this scarf. Moebius has a precise definition; it  is a one sided piece. Take a finger and trace the path along a side of this scarf and you'll find there are 2 sides. It's a lovely scarf, but not a moebius. It's a lovely scarf, but please rename it.

cauldron wrote
on Nov 20, 2009 6:14 AM

I'm sorry, but those items described as "snoods" don't match up with what I know of as a snood.  MY definition is more like a heavier-weight hair net.  I have seen them knitted, crocheted, and loosely woven of ribbon, at times decorated with beads, pearls, and other trimmings. Generally the top attaches at the top (crown) of the head, not at the hairline on the forehead.  The snood closes with elastic or a ribbon or cord. It catches the hair at the back of the head.  If a ribbon is used, it usually ties under the hair at the back of the head.

I think those patterns are great, but Idon't think they're snoods!

Susan Kirsch

ZoeOB wrote
on Nov 15, 2009 12:48 PM

I agree with KristenM@2. These are not traditional snoods, but a hybrid cowl/hood/scarf. Check the site http://www.snoods.com/ to see traditional snoods, or watch any old 1930s-1940s films. All of the actresses seem to be wearing them with their evening wear. It's also a shame no mention was made of Elizabeth Zimmerman, who first brought the knitted moebius to knitters or Cat Bordhi who perfected the no sewing up version.

on Nov 15, 2009 11:08 AM

That seems much more of a cowl than a snood.

on Nov 14, 2009 8:42 AM

This post was mentioned on Twitter by InterweaveNews: In the mood for a snood? What about a moebius? Adina Klein demos the cast-on for this hot accessory. Video: http://bit.ly/2upGim