Need help! Cables & Lace Broomstick Hat by Kristin Omdahl

This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 4
on Dec 27, 2011 7:20 PM

Has anyone made the Cables & Lace Broomstick Hat by Kristin Omdahl (from the book Crochet So Fine, and I see it was offered as a free pattern here on Knitting Daily)?

If so, did the Cable Band Pattern work for you as written?  I have been trying to work on it several times today, but my cable does not look like the one in the photo.  I seem to get the X where the cable crosses over, but the rows on either side do not seem to continue the pattern, with some stiches coming to the front and others going to the rear.  Instead, 4-6 each have you do all stitches in either bpdc or fpdc, which creates a straight line.

This is the first time I've done cable work, so I could be doing it wrong, but I've followed the written pattern carefully and examined the stitch diagram closely.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
candaceann1 wrote
on Dec 31, 2011 12:42 AM

I'm having the EXACT same problem! I swear I'm doing it right, but mine ends up looking like a straight line as well. If you figure it out I would love some insight as well.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
on Jan 3, 2012 7:22 PM

I think I figured it out!  Here's what I think I did.  (As I work my way through the next set of rows, I'll double-check that this is what I actually did!)

st = stitch.  ch = chain.  dc = double crochet.  bpdc = back post double crochet.  fpdc = front post double crochet.  fptr = front post treble crochet.  

Ch 10

Row 1: dc in 4th chain from hook and in each ch across = 8 dc

Row 2: Turn, ch 3, skip 1st st, bpdc in st 2-3, dc in st 4-5, bpdc in st 6-7, dc in st 8

Row 3:  Turn, ch 3, fptr in st 6-7 (make these stitches very loose so they'll reach all the way across); working behind those 2 stitches, dc in st 4 & 5; crossing in front of all those stitches fptr in st 2-3 (loose again), dc in st 8

Row 4:  Turn, ch 3, skip 1st st, bpdc in st 2-3, dc in st 4-5, bpdc in st 6-7, dc in st 8

Row 5: Turn, ch 3, skip 1st st, fpdc in st 2-3, dc in st 4-5, fpdc in st 6-7, dc in st 8

Row 6: Same as row 4

Rows 7-60: Repeat rows 3-6 13 times

(Edited to correct error in row 3 - I had originally written fpdc where it should have been fptr.)

Not Ranked
Posts 5
SystemAdministrator
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Jan 4, 2012 12:27 PM

Hi,

I love the cabled band on this hat. I have the entire band finished now and the cables are a bit more subtle than some, but gorgeous. It does look very flat when you are working rows 4–6, but the cable does show up. If you don't work the BPdc in Row 4 into the stitches in the correct order the cable doesn't work, so you do have to watch out for this and make sure you work into 2 FPtr, 2 dc, then 2 FPtr, but it sounds like you have that figured out.

You can also work the cable like songsparrow022 wrote out for a much more pronounced cable. Both version are lovely.

I worked both up here so you can see them. The first cable (on the right) is as written in the pattern, the more subtle version. The second version (on the left) works plain dc instead of post dc in the center and outside stitches, like songsparrow022 wrote out.

Toni

Not Ranked
Posts 4
on Jan 5, 2012 10:38 PM

Toni,

Thanks so much for showing both versions.  Since you showed that the pattern as written does work, I was intrigued to go back and try it again, and this time I succeeded!  So clearly I was doing something wrong on my previous attempts.

The alternate version that I wrote above did have a more open, looser weave, which made it easier to learn the cable pattern.  But for the finished hat, I think the pattern as written is preferable because it is denser and that makes it more stable and it lies flat.  My version stretches more, which makes it curl. 

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS