Not Ranked
Posts 4
mannkaescp wrote
on Jan 1, 2012 11:33 AM

Happy New Year!

In one of Debbie Bliss's patterns, the instructions are written thusly

"Sleeve and Half Shrug Back (make 2)

With 3.75 mm (US 5) needles and yarn held double cast on ...."

Does that mean that I need to double the yarn and so I knit from two separate balls or skeins to cast on?

Thank you,

Kathleen

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 135
chewchew wrote
on Jan 1, 2012 7:39 PM

I've heard the long tail cast on method referred to as double cast on, which would mean you just use one skein of yarn.  Maybe this is what she is referring to?  Maybe check out www.knittinghelp.com - they have a great section of cast on variations.  Hope this helps.  

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 21
the hat lady wrote
on Jan 2, 2012 8:36 AM

Not sure if you mean to ask about long tail cast-on, but I often use 2  yarn ball's (or both ends from one ball) to do this cast on - especially when casting on bunches of stitches.  It saves your sanity trying to guess how long to make the tail so you can cast on enough stitches.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 21
the hat lady wrote
on Jan 2, 2012 8:37 AM

Not sure if you mean to ask about long tail cast-on, but I often use 2  yarn ball's (or both ends from one ball) to do this cast on - especially when casting on bunches of stitches.  It saves your sanity trying to guess how long to make the tail so you can cast on enough stitches.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
mannkaescp wrote
on Jan 2, 2012 12:21 PM

Hi Hat Lady,

Thank you for your help. I figured out that I had to use two balls of the same yarn to cast on the number of stitches.

Once again thank you,

K

Not Ranked
Posts 4
mannkaescp wrote
on Jan 2, 2012 12:23 PM

Hi Chewchew,

Thank you for the siggestion. I did finally realize that I needed two balls of the same yarn to cast on.  

Once again gratitude for the time you took to answer my query,

Kath

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 21
the hat lady wrote
on Jan 3, 2012 9:24 AM

Hi Kathleen

You are welcome.  Glad you found my reply useful.  Good luck with your project...

Marion

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS