Introduction

This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Charlie Mac wrote
on Sep 8, 2008 4:24 PM

Hola, I am Charlie Mac a new member of this group and forum. I have been married to Mary for 51+ years.  We both spin and knit. Hey, if you cant beat'em, join'em!  Mary is the expert in both venues.  I just spin and knit for fun.  We do demos at shops, museums, and fiber farms.  Mostly I talk about the processes and history and Mary spins. One of these days we are going to have to begin charging, at least for gas money.

We currently have 3 wheels, a Lendrum folding (I am not allowed), a Kromski Sonata, and my favorite work horse, a Louet S51 DT.  Just this year I was allowed to accompany Mary to the January Spin-Inn in Destin, FL.  So I suppose you could say i am coming up in the world?

I currently am carding a prime Alpaca blanket we received by helping Fairhope Alpacas shear 83 animals in 7 hours.  Whew, us old folks were tired. Charlie Mac

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Rebecca@2 wrote
on Sep 9, 2008 4:45 AM

Hi, Charlie.  I am Rebecca and have just started really spinning this year.  I've had my wheel, Louet S10 DT since winter 2005 but have not taken an classes and just really making a mess of my wool.  I took a class and it's been great.

My friends and I are fiber nuts.  We try to go to as many farms and events as we can. 

We've just started trying our hand at spinning Alpaca.  It's definately a luxury.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
CrystalJ wrote
on Sep 9, 2008 12:13 PM

Hi, I'm Crystal and I've also been spinning about a year, I use a drop spindle, but have been thinking of moving up to a wheel, now I just need to pry one away from my mom to see if I like a wheel before I get my own.  I also knit, picked it back up about 2 years ago.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
MzMelly wrote
on Sep 10, 2008 8:12 AM

Hi Charlie

I am a fairly new spinner, I learned in a class last November how to spin on both the drop spindle and then on the wheel. I saved every penny from my commission quilting business to purchase a portable wheel that would fit in my small house, and bought an Ashford Joy DT. I have no fear and will try my hand at spinning just about anything, although I have yet to try flax or cotton. Right now neither of those two fibers hold much interest for me since I have become a real protein "fiber junkie" and have been collecting fleeces and roving of every breed of sheep, alpaca and goat I can get my hands on, and even dyeing my own colorways on commercially processed rovings. What can I say? It's an addiction that I'm happy to indulge. I have a number of spindles, my Joy, and I conned a woodworking friend into making me a "mini" walking wheel also. I scraped up enough money to buy a drum carder, and then a patrick green Triple Picker to make processing my fibers easier. Now I have my eye on a Louet S10 DT. Who needs space? My living room is jam packed with bags of fiber and spinning equipment, I'm sure I can wedge in another spinning wheel....!!! Now, if I could only win the lottery, then I could attend SOAR or any one of a number of fiber festivals around the country. Arizona is, unfortunately one of those states that does not host a major fiber festival each year, although I have heard of a small festival in the Tucson area. I should check that out. -- Melanie

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 14
BRENDA@7 wrote
on Dec 4, 2009 1:58 PM

Hi my name is Brenda and I want to learn how to spin. I  bought a drop spindle and some roving last year at our local wool festival but have not yet tried to spin. This may sound stupid but how do I start? I had directions with it but they have since ran away or something.

Brenda

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
dizzysue wrote
on Jan 6, 2010 7:35 AM

Hi I have been spinning for 30 years and have been taking the Spin Off magazine for all of them.  I have MS now and  find that spinning, knitting etc. are very good to do as they involve little movement Wink  I amm spinning merino tops in three shades fo blue at the moment but have my next project lined up, Just before christmas i bought some oatmeal blue faced leicester tops which is georgeous and i cant wait to start it. I have spun alpaca and really liked it. Keep up the good work shearing.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS