Simply Sockupied Knit-along: Ann's Go-To Socks

This post has 279 Replies | 32 Followers rated by 2 users
Not Ranked
Posts 10
MarliesL wrote
on Feb 27, 2012 6:59 PM

Hi everyone i'm Marlies from Indiana and I love to knit socks. I always use the same pattern - I needed this KAL to get me out of my rut and to try something new. I am starting with the Go To Socks-   am starting right now ! :)

Here's a tip for some of you newbies.... start the two socks at the same time  ( you'll have to buy two sets of knitting needles ) You'll have two socks going at the same time but more likely to end up with two socks that are the same size...   I usually knit about 3 inches then switch to the other sock and knit about 3 inches .... and keep switching like that... working the heel is easier this way too... knit one heel flap and then the other... before you know it you'll have both socks done !

Not Ranked
Posts 10
MarliesL wrote
on Feb 27, 2012 7:04 PM

This is Marlies again... forgot to mention in my last post... I am using  Pro Lana / Meine Wolle / Sockenwolle  / Self patterning yarn - first time using this brand    and size 2.5 needles   - Am knitting them form DH, he swears by handknit socks in his steel toe shoes and they feel good on his gout toe...  tee hee gross I know but whatever works ;)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
leelori12 wrote
on Feb 27, 2012 7:52 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm Lori and I currently live in Sacramento, CA. I've knitted about 20 pairs of socks so far - all through trial and error. I have the basic sock pattern memorized as long as it entails 64 stitches and is on US 1 needles. After a lot of experimenting, I found that my socks come out best one sock at a time on two circulars. I'm excited about the knit along and to learn some new techniques. I'll be trying out the toe up socks when we get to those. Thanks.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Joyce fisher wrote
on Feb 28, 2012 1:37 AM

Hi all, I would like to do this KAL too. I live in Australia.

I have just finished a KAL with KnitFreedom on Ravelry doing two at a time, toe up, so now I am ready to have a go at top down.

My yarn is Lang Jawoll Magic Superwash in variagated indigo blue.  I have to start my swatch to make sure it will suit the required guage for the pattern.

Happy knitting all.

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Gabrielle wrote
on Feb 28, 2012 6:12 AM

Hi, it's Gabrielle in Clovis, California.  I've tried socks on 2 circs, dpn's, and never finished a pair.  Well, I take that back, I did finish ONE pair...only they turned out to be too small....I made them for a friend with size 6 feet...you'd think I could make ones that size.  They were SO pretty..pink and white, with multi-colored speckles.  Except...they didn't fit.  She still has them, since they were the first socks I ever finished..LOL..but, I'd love to make a pair that fits.

I'm using a lovely hand-painted yarn by Lisa Souza, called "Sky Dance".  It's called "SOCK!"  and is 75% Superwash Wool, and 25% Nylon.  It's lots of blues, purples, reds, oranges....delicious yarn, and I REALLY don't want to mess these up!  LOL!  I had thought about using 2 circs again, since I seem to have the best luck with them, but I REALLY want to learn to use dpn's.  So...here I go.  DPN's, 5 of them, so I'll have a spider hanging off my hands for several rounds..and send me good vibes that I don't end up with too many stitches or not enough like I usually do..or can't get my needles set up correctly.  I'm going for the "Go To Socks" so I can get myself straightened out on what I'm doing..and I PROMISE to SWATCH!   (And how do you people work with size 1 needles????   I can't get a decent gauge with those..and I know people knit socks with those sizes.  I HAVE some...but I end up knitting thread bookmarks with 'em! <snort>)  Usually end up using 2's or 3's...but would love to be able to loosen up enough to use those tiny 1's..I have so many sets of 'em!!!

Thanks for having me...if you hear someone screaming in frustration, it will be me. LOL...

Gabrielle (Who will be screaming valiantly if I make it through this and actually have a wearable pair of socks!  My socks don't wear out since I'm in a wheelchair...but I teach music and would love to be able to delight my students with my wild socks.  I've collected lots of lovely hand-dyed, hand-painted yarn, so I could wear a different pair every day of the year!)  T'would also be nice to be able to make some as gifts...now wouldn't THAT be loverly?  "All I want is a room somewhere...filled with socks knit from here to there!"  Okay, okay..enough...now onward and upward..or downward...doing a cuff down to start...scared of toe-up yet...let me get one pair straight a few times!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
JudiG@6 wrote
on Feb 28, 2012 6:37 AM

Hi everyone! I'm Judi - a one-time sock knitter who's lost her sock -knitting mojo and hoping to get it back through this KAL! It's a fab idea - I'm going to start with Anne's Go-To Socks and have picked some Fyberspates sock wool out of my stash (even though I wasn't actually knitting socks I still couldn't resist buying sock wool!) and I'm hoping to get started later today.  Happy knitting everyone!

Not Ranked
Posts 9
ced6 wrote
on Feb 28, 2012 9:06 AM

This will be my first pair of socks and my first KAL.

Unfortunately I didn't know that the download required an application when I bought it so I can't open it here at work. However, I'm going to be going to the craft store after work and before I go home because I have to run another errand out by it. Can anyone let me know what size dpn's I should pick up?  Or should I just go with what is suggested on the yarn?  Thanks for the help!   I look forward to knitting with you all.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 26
Shaggylinus wrote
on Feb 28, 2012 9:45 AM

Hello Everyone, I'm Renée from Ohio.  I have knitted 2 pairs of socks before but it has been awhile.  I will be using dpn.  My yarn is Sensations in the Bamboo and Ewe pattern. (It's a self striping yarn I had in my stash.)  This will be my first KAL so I am really excited.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 26
Shaggylinus wrote
on Feb 28, 2012 9:48 AM

Do we write any questions we have here once we get started, or is there another thread?  Thanks, Renée

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Welachild wrote
on Feb 28, 2012 10:01 AM

Hi ced6

The pattern suggests dpn size 1.5 for the leg and size 1 for the foot, but I think you should do a gauge swatch to make sure that will get you the right size sock. I'm a loose knitter so I picked up a Susan Bates sock needle set at Fred Meyers for $9.99 and it has 5 dpns in sizes 000 to size 1. I'm thinking I'll have to go down a needle size (or two, eek). 

I hope that helps. 

Not Ranked
Posts 2
judygvi514 wrote
on Feb 28, 2012 10:09 AM

My name is Judy.  I've knit one pair of socks previously---not happy with the fit of them.  Looking forward to starting this sock KAL.  Not sure what yarn I will be using yet.  I will update my information when I buy the yarn  Smile

Judy (in Boston)

Not Ranked
Posts 9
ced6 wrote
on Feb 28, 2012 10:20 AM

Thanks Welachild!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 196
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Feb 28, 2012 10:42 AM

Shaggylinus:

Do we write any questions we have here once we get started, or is there another thread?  Thanks, Renée

Renée--This is the place! Welcome!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 196
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Feb 28, 2012 10:46 AM

ced6:

This will be my first pair of socks and my first KAL.

Unfortunately I didn't know that the download required an application when I bought it so I can't open it here at work. However, I'm going to be going to the craft store after work and before I go home because I have to run another errand out by it. Can anyone let me know what size dpn's I should pick up?  Or should I just go with what is suggested on the yarn?  Thanks for the help!   I look forward to knitting with you all.

Hi! The yarns and needle sizes are a little different for each pattern, and it will make a big difference if you're a tight or loose knitter. If there's a multi-size pack that might be safe, but it really depends on your personal preference. (Sorry to be vague... I have some friends who are crazy tight knitters and others who have to use size 3's with worsted yarns because they're such loose knitters.)

I wouldn't necessarily go with the ball band. That suggested needle size can be for anything from a lacy scarf to the equivalent of kevlar; they're often suggesting a much larger needle than would work for socks.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
JoyV54 wrote
on Feb 28, 2012 2:28 PM

Hi,

I Joyce from Kansas.  I have always wanted to knit socks that fit me.  I am excited to start this adventure and see what others are doing.  Socks are a frustration because they never fit right.  I was glad to see that you discussed adjusting calf size if needed.  Is there any place else I can read for instructions on making the necessary adjustments?

Page 2 of 19 (280 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS