novice sock knitter

This post has 3 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
castelgsy1 wrote
on Feb 28, 2012 6:28 AM

Hi I am mother of 2, grandmother of 8, great-grandmother of 1.  I love to knit, and have now master the 4-5 needle knitting, I have tried to teach myself to knit socks, I've done 2.However the top and upper leg are fine, but the heal, instep are a bit baggy, so I must be doing something wrong.  Because when I make a pair of socks for a baby/toddler they turn out fine, but the adult size gets screwed up. So here I am making the attempt again.  In my stash I have both inexpensive and merino wool sock yarn doused with aloe.  That yarn is so soft.But as I'm in test mode I think I will go with Patons/Beehive sock yarn first.  I am open to any and all suggestions out there in sockuppied world.

Thanks for reading

Janice Potter

Toronto, Canada

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Gabrielle wrote
on Feb 28, 2012 6:52 AM

Hi There!  I'm Gabrielle in Clovis, California, and I'm about to embark on making socks on dpn's.  I've made one pair of socks, using 2 circulars, the only ones I ever finished, however, they came out too small.  LOL!  I need to swatch carefully this time (I didn't last time, I just used the pattern and figured they knew what was what...dumb me.)  and make sure I get the right amount of stitches.  I really want these to turn out right.  I have a lot of lovely hand-dyed, hand-painted sock yarn, and I'd sure love to have some pretty socks!  I'm in a wheelchair so they don't wear out...but I teach piano, and I'm sure my students would love to see me in some wild socks!  Would also like to be able to make socks as gifts and have them FIT!  So, I'm a novice also, and looking forward to having a spider hanging off my fingers for the first several rounds!  NOT!  <smile>  I'm a Mum of 3 girls, Granny of 9 1/4....LOL...will know whether #10 is pink or blue when it's born...my daughter and her husband are old-fashioned that way, and I like it, too.  Gives me reason to make a lot of baby items in different colors! 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
debroby wrote
on Feb 28, 2012 11:19 AM

Hi Janice,

You are not necessarily doing anything wrong.  I'm going to assume you are making your socks from the top down.  When you have knitted just a bit passed the heel, take the time to transfer all the stitches onto waste yarn or a circular needle and try the socks on.  If the socks are too generous in the heel -they should fit like glove -perfectly forming to your heel- you may wish to rip back and redo the heels in a smaller set of needles. 

I have a friend who knits the bodies of the socks on 1.5s, but her heels are done on a combination of 1s and 0s.  The experimenting with getting YOUR prefect fit is the joy of the knitting your own socks.

deb

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 196
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Feb 28, 2012 11:24 AM

castelgsy1:
but the heal, instep are a bit baggy,

Janice,

You might need a shorter heel flap. When you turn the heel, the height of the back-and-forth part determines how much space there will be from the back of your heel to the top of your arch. If you work fewer rows in the heel flap, you'll pick up fewer stitches along the edges, making for a smaller gusset and a tighter fit.

Have you made short-row heels before? Those also tend to be a little shallower in the heel. 

Keep us posted!

-Anne

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS