Hello! So new to this, its so daunting!

This post has 9 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
mjgb8 wrote
on Mar 3, 2012 12:12 PM

I have been trying to teach myself to knit socks and so far I haven't had any luck, so today I decided to join the group and see if this will help. I'm new to knitting but I've crocheted for years. I am married with 6 kids all are teens and adults now so I have spare time on my hands. I just had my 4th major back surgery and the recovery time is long! I am in process of downloading the book now and I'll check in later after I decide which pattern to use. I'm excited and I'm hoping it goes well!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
sisterstella wrote
on Mar 3, 2012 12:59 PM

mjgb8,  I to am relatively new to knitting but had met a wonderful woman who has been helping me learn and I have completed 2 pairs of socks and now on my 3 which are entralac which I just love the pattern, so I'm hoping I won't have much of a problem figuring them out...best of luck, if the group doesn't help, try your local yarn store, those women are very helpful.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
mjgb8 wrote
on Mar 4, 2012 6:40 AM

wow that's awesome! I read over the emag last night, and I think I can handle the pattern "anns to go socks". I'm not sure about changing yarns at this point so I'll leave that one for later.  I am getting started today and I'm sure I'll have questions! Hope to talk to you again soon

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
sisterstella wrote
on Mar 4, 2012 7:00 AM

mjgb8, I'm sure if you set your mind to it, you can do it, but if I can help from this end, let me know.  At first, I was very confused because of never working in the round but after a few mistakes, I was able to accomplish the socks.  There are great tutorials out there on the web too that are helpful.  My friend showed me how, after the first pair to do 2 socks at one time.  Have fun today knitting.  I'm starting a sweater that I found online for my grandson's 1st birthday, it's a blue background with a frog on the front with a crown.  Prince Charming he will be...LOL .  Good Luck, you can do it!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 192
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Mar 7, 2012 6:59 PM

mjgb8:
I am getting started today and I'm sure I'll have questions!

Holler away! There's a lively and very helpful thread going on in the knit-along for this pattern; just click on the link for the knit-along and dive in. Feel free to ask any question that you don't see an answer for already; someone else is certain to have the same question!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
sisterstella wrote
on Mar 8, 2012 5:20 PM

how are you socks coming along

Not Ranked
Posts 12
MimsyKells wrote
on Nov 4, 2012 2:35 PM

So impressed! That is beyond cool that your "super new" (I think was your phrase describing yourself) to knitting and are already knitting socks! I have to say I am ever so slightly jealous (ok. more than slightly, but don't worry the worst I'll do is pester you about making socks from now on--if you'll allow it).

Go you!

Mimsy

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
sisterstella wrote
on Nov 5, 2012 4:40 PM

Mimsy, you can talk to me anytime.  I am working on a shawl now, it is so cool.  It's the Aranami Shawl by Olga Buraya-kefelian.  You can find it on Raverly.  I did the 3rd shade of grey in red and it is just too cool!  Happy knitting.

Kim

Not Ranked
Posts 12
MimsyKells wrote
on Nov 5, 2012 6:42 PM

Yay! Would it be ok if I added you as a friend too? I seem to be perpetually cold, and socks--being that they cover the feet, and feet being one of the body's "temperature regulators"--will be ever so lovely right now. Not just for me, but for my boyfriend. He has a really strenuous job and his feet give him problems. I've seen in the stores socks that are "extra cushiony" and have "added support" and all sorts of other things that would do him wonders. That and socks are probably the only thing I can knit him that he'll wear. He's very hardheaded about things like that. And very often I feel like I'm coaxing a two-year-old into doing things that are ultimately good for him. But, that in itself has its certain charm. I can never grow old while I have a little immortal "imp" to keep me occupied with inventing games and diversions.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
sisterstella wrote
on Nov 5, 2012 7:34 PM

You sure can add me as a friend.  Oh cold, I know what you meant.  Cold feet warm heart, but if you can wear them to bed to keep warm that's the best...LOL  Have a great evening and keep warm.  In NE PA, it's in the 20's tonight as we expecting a new storm on Thursday. 

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS