Apres Surf Hoodie, stuck....at the beginning!

This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Jen_nassif wrote
on Apr 20, 2012 7:41 PM

Knitting size 39 1/2.  I have knit 3 inches of stockinette.  Stuck on the shape waist instructions.  Dec 1 st each end of needs....every 8 five more times.  That part, I get. but the "at the same time" when piece measures 4 1/2 from CO and second row of waist dec are complete, on a WS row, dec 10 st evenly spaced across.  117 stitches remain.

I started with 131.  Decrease 2 (one at each end of needle), then 10 more (2x every 8th row, 5 more times).  That's 12.  131 minus 12 = 119.  When/where am I to decrease two more to get to 117 stitches remaining?  Anyone else struggling with this? I have spot checked many projects on Ravely, and IWP Blog and cannot find others struggling with the same instruction.  Thanks....

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 627
salmonmac wrote
on Apr 21, 2012 5:19 AM

I think it's the 117sts at the end of the directions that's confusing. It probably refers to:

".. when piece measures 4 1/2 from CO and second row of waist dec are complete, on a WS row, dec 10 st evenly spaced across. 117 stitches remain"

So 131 minus 2 dec rows (seond row of waist dec are complete) = 127sts. Now dec 10sts evenly or 127-10=117sts. 

I think at the end of all the decreases you should have 131-12-10=109sts. 

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Jen_nassif wrote
on Apr 21, 2012 7:12 PM

That's it! Thank you, very much.  I am going on a trip first thing tomorrow morning and was desperate to figure this out before getting on that plane! 

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Jen_nassif wrote
on May 5, 2012 8:27 PM

Wanted to thank you again for the clarification.  Makes total sense.  I realize only now why I was so very confused. After the instructed stated 117 stitched remaining (knowing I would decrease 5 more times), I had stopped reading the instructions!  This is why hindsight is referred to as 20/20, right?!

But!  I was so excited about finally "getting it", I neglected to start the lace pattern after reaching 117 stitches. Oh well, lesson learned and only a couple of hours lost. Could have been much, much worse.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Jen_nassif wrote
on May 5, 2012 8:27 PM

Wanted to thank you again for the clarification.  Makes total sense.  I realize only now why I was so very confused. After the instructed stated 117 stitched remaining (knowing I would decrease 5 more times), I had stopped reading the instructions!  This is why hindsight is referred to as 20/20, right?!

But!  I was so excited about finally "getting it", I neglected to start the lace pattern after reaching 117 stitches. Oh well, lesson learned and only a couple of hours lost. Could have been much, much worse.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 627
salmonmac wrote
on May 6, 2012 4:44 AM

I've done the same things on both counts. Forged ahead and forgotten to take the instructions step-by-step and gotten so excited about understanding that I, yes, forgot to take the instructions step-by-step. I find that sticky notes are invialuable here. Glad you're on your way now!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on May 8, 2012 3:42 PM

Wonderful you could help before she got on plane.  Brilliant!

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS