I can't grasp knitting on a round needle. Don't like the feel of it

This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 13
GGBlackman wrote
on May 16, 2012 8:26 AM

So many patterns are now being written for round needles.  I don't feel comfortable with the technique.    IS there a way or a formula for switching back to straight needles.  Used to be everything was written on straight needles and a circular needle was an option.  I am a "lapsed knitter"...Used to be quite adept (even taught it!)   but life got in the way, and a little arthritis in the fingers...trying to get my "MOJO" back.

Thanks,

Gail B

Not Ranked
Posts 5
PamS@7 wrote
on May 16, 2012 1:39 PM

If a circular is just used to accommodate large number of stitches like on an afghan or knitting the two fronts and back  WITHOUT joining, it is really easy to just knit, get to the end of the row and turn the piece around.

You might want to consider just not going one side or divide the number of stitches for the knitting in the round and then working each piece separately  Just remember  you might want to add on an extra stitch or two at the ends for seaming.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 732
salmonmac wrote
on May 16, 2012 5:01 PM

If the pattern is knit back and forth on circular needles, and you can accommodate the number of sts on straight needles, you can just go right ahead and switch to straight needles. If it's a pattern joined in the round, you'll need to make a few adjustments. Stockinette st in the round is all knit but for back and forth you  would change to knit one row, purl one row. Garter st in the round is knit one round, purl one round but you would just knit every row on straight needles. And as recommended above, maybe add a st or two for a seam. I love circular needles which seem much less cumbersoe than straights (you won't frignten your seatmate on an airplane) and may be worth getting used to.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on May 16, 2012 10:51 PM

salmonmac:
I love circular needles which seem much less cumbersoe than straights (you won't frignten your seatmate on an airplane) and may be worth getting used to.

I tend to prefer the circular needles as well.  The reason being that it takes the weight off the needle and the majority of the weight is on the cord.  So it sits on my lap and is less tiresome for me when doing bulky projects.  But if you do not have a heavy or large article to knit, the straights are probably just fine for you.  Just glad you are knitting again. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Jaden Shadow wrote
on Jun 27, 2012 6:06 PM

If it's a round pattern you could try using DPNs. Personally I hate circular needles, the only time i use them is if my sts don't fit on one of my longer needls and I have to do a strait st. Depending on the pattern you can usually just divide the st by 3 and add any extra to the middle needle.

Knitting is Theropy

Not Ranked
Posts 13
GGBlackman wrote
on Jun 27, 2012 6:21 PM

DPN would really drive me nuts!  Just want to do regular straight knitting on long or short straight needles.  So if a sweater or shawl or poncho is asking for round needles how would I change that.

Thanks for taking the time for me.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS