Weaving wannabe!

This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 20
Carolyn wrote
on Sep 27, 2008 8:24 PM

Hi!  I'm new to this forum thing, so forgive me if I muck it up!  I'm just wondering if anyone can give me ideas of where to start to learn to weave?

I am already an enthusiastic knitter and crocheter, but I love the look and feel of woven items, as well as the idea of weaving tapestries etc...

I would very much appreciate any ideas!  Thanks!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 36
ForumModerator
Liz Gipson wrote
on Sep 29, 2008 8:27 AM

Hey welcome.  You may want to start by checking out Interweave's page www.learntoweave.com.  It will help you find a weaving shop or guild in your area or find a teacher.  Taking a class is often the best way to get started.  After you visit that page let me know if you have other questions and tell me a little bit more about what kind of weaving you would like to do.

Liz Gipson

Managing Editor, Handwoven

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 20
Carolyn wrote
on Oct 2, 2008 9:23 AM

Thank you!  

Not Ranked
Posts 11
JaynaM wrote
on Oct 2, 2008 11:14 AM

You may want to get the book "Learn to Weave" by Deborah Chandler.  It's the one most all the teachers use and is a step by step guide.  Alot of libraries have it on their shelves if you don't want to purchase it.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 20
Carolyn wrote
on Oct 9, 2008 9:07 AM

Thank you - I have it out from the library right now!  It's really good.  Thank you again!

Not Ranked
Posts 13
JE Martin wrote
on Oct 16, 2008 12:21 PM

You can also check to see if there are any weaving guilds in your area. At the HGA website http://www.weavespindye.org/ there is a page listing guilds around the US & internationally. My guild has been a wonderful community for learning & talking the same language. There are many places online to get information, and lots of good books to learn from, but nothing beats a live mentor!

Happy Weaving to All! - Joan in Jamestown

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
Tinker88 wrote
on Jul 23, 2009 12:11 AM

Don't know where you are located but if going the the Mannings in East Berlin, PA is an option for you, then you can't do better than taking a class with Tom Knisely.  He is an outstanding teacher for any level, beginners to advanced.  He makes it so easy to understand, he's famously nice and he has a real gift for teaching.  Have a look at their website to see class listings.  And when you get some weaving under your belt, try to take classes with Kate Smith & Norman Kennedy (Eaton Hill in VT) as well as Becky Ashenden (Vavstuga in MA) and Madelyn van der Hoogt (WA).  Conferences are also a great resource.  Some of these teachers/studios offer week long classes and can set you up with reasonable lodging.  It is really fun to take a 'working vacation', have no responsibilities, and immerse yourself in weaving - you wont regret it.  These aren't the only great weaving teachers but they are some of the best.

Also, local guilds can be great resources to find teachers.  Best of luck and enjoy it!

Not Ranked
Posts 7
purpleiris wrote
on Aug 11, 2009 6:22 AM

Hi Carolyn,

My name is Linda and I also am a weaving wanna be! I bought a floor loom on the cheap.

Not even sure what I have but I have it!Big Smile  I am newly retired so I will have more time.

I am a knitter. Just finished a fisherman's sweater for myself.  I also want to learn rug hooking.

I am from Maine. Thanks ladies for the sites. Will  be checking them out!

Linda

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS